Have $700. for a sub, What should I buy for that money?

Bronze Member
Username: Audiomania

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 12
Would like to hear some opinions from you guys (& gals) on what subs to put on my short list that cost no more than $700. This will be for a 2-channel system. I have been considering Hsu VTF3MK2, Outlaw LFM1, and PSB 7i. I have PSB 7PT towers. I would welcome other suggestions and comments on those I mentioned. Thanks...I am not an audiophile, and need help.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 334
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=7&sid=691j676l

and if you want to go big in the bass - stretching your budget just a bit -

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pcplus_25-31.htm

Bronze Member

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 14
Kano...thanks for your suggestions. I have used your links to take a look and read the product info. Whatever I get has to be user friendly for an inexperienced user like me. Some subs sound difficult to integrate. I will want to connect my sub directly to the sub out on the receiver I buy. I am planning on 2-channel only, and am looking seriously at the Harmon Kardon 3480. I don't want to have to buy a pre-amp.

Username: Kkt

California

Post Number: 3
I have a Hsu VTF3 MK2 in a large room (> 2800 cubic ft) & love it. It blends in very well for both music and movie. Set it up using Sound & Vision DVD was very easy.

Bronze Member

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 15
Kevin...thanks for your input. I have narrowed my choices to the HSU VTF and a couple models of SVS. I tried to get Dr Hsu to give me free shipping on the VTF, but he won't do it. I had read quite a few posts here of guys who did get free shipping on that unit. I will keep it in the running, however. Thanks again too for the tip on using the Sound & Vision DVD. I've been keeping an eye on the Audiogon classifieds too, hoping I might get a much better sub than I can buy new.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 645
Glen: On eBay there's a Mordaunt-Short 909 subwoofer on sale "buy it now" for $449. I just bought one of its sisters - and absolutely love it! Great sound - fine look - wife loves it - and the price is right. The "new" 909s sell for about $1,000.

At least take a look at it - it gets great reviews in Europe. I'm NOT sorry I bought it.
Let me know if you go for it. . .

Bronze Member

Muskegon, MI USA

Post Number: 16
Larry,
Thanks for the "heads-up." I did take a look at it at the Mordaunt-Short website. I guess the ONLY thing that sort of bothered me was the fact that its low end on frequency response is only 30 Hz. It sure looks like a quality unit, however. I'll think more about it and take a look at the e-bay ad. Thanks again, Larry for thinking of me.

Username: Kkt

California

Post Number: 4
Shipping is very expensive because the double oversized boxes are over 80 lbs. After calibration, the volume knob on my VTF3 is set at slightly less than 1/4, and the VTF3 is powerful enough to rattle my back wall. I was going to sell mine and buy the STF2 to save $, but the shipping to the East Coast was over $140 through UPS. Hsu has a special deal w/FedEx and can ship it at a discount rate, comparing to the average Joe like us.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us