RS-232 Port

Bronze Member
Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 34
How important is this connection? The ability for software upgrades are always a good idea, right? So why then don't procucers incorporate it into more of their mid lines? ie: NAD 753? If I was going to drop 1k (MSRP), wouldn't I want it to be upgradable for future formats? Am I missing something here?

Bronze Member
Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 42
Does anyone have thoughts on the importance of this feature? I mean how many times does a manufacturer put out updates? And how would you actually download/upload the info?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnny

Post Number: 94
Blazer,

I may be wrong on this (please correct me if I am), but I think for NAD at least, the RS-232 port is so the DEALER can make software upgrades to your unit. I don't think it is intended for the general consumer to do (although I guess you could try). This is an advantage in that the dealer could perform the upgrade in almost no time...wheras if the RS-232 port was not there the dealer would have to order parts that might take days/weeks to arrive. Like I said, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I remember reading about this on a thread a few months ago.

Username: Jasonhall

Post Number: 2
I also could be wrong, but I believe Johnny is correct and the RS-232C port is primarily for firmware upgrades. Whether the dealer is the only one who can do it depends on the receiver manufacturer and how the software is delivered to you. If you can get the software from the vendor, there is no reason you could not upgrade the receiver yourself by connecting it to the serial port of your computer (provided you feel savy enough with your computer).

Another option that may come in the future (or may be here now, I don't know) is it would also allow remote control of the receiver. This would allow control from a computer or some other central system (I believe I read somewhere about those whole house computer systems possibly controlling receivers).

I can think of 2 reasons the manufacturers might not be incorporating it in every receiver. One, they want you to buy a newer receiver when it comes out instead of upgrading. Two, it requires more software inside the box to handle external commands from a computer, whether they are to control or upgrade the receiver. Most companies probably do not want to put the extra engineering for an external interface in their mid lines.

I could be way off but that is my interpretation of it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us