Need receiver for Klispch speakers

joolz
Unregistered guest
I have really learned a lot from this site already, but I'm wondering if one of the experts out there could give me some specific advice. I have recently purchased a pair of Klipsch RF3 II towers and am in desperate need of a receiver to show me some of their potential! I will only be listening to CD's in stereo in this room (19'x13'). I have heard these speakers with an Onkyo TX-DS701 and a Yamaha RX-500. The Onkyo won this audition by far. However, I really don't need a multi-channel receiver. Am I better off to put my $$$ into a good quality 2 channel? I read Hawk's advise to Hugo in the HT vs stereo receiver thread which mentioned the NAD C740 (which is very economically priced). Would this be a good match for my towers?

I also need a separate receiver for a Klipsch quintet surround speaker set along with the Klipsch 12" sub for HT in a different room. (I bought them on sale on boxing day to sit in the closet until I can afford a receiver!) I HAVE considered the option of just getting one unit and using the multi-room capability of the receiver, but I'm just not sure I want the hassle of running the cords through the floor, etc. This room would be 90% HT use...

Bronze Member
Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 37
I've auditioned the HK avr630 with the Klipsch RB-35 system and it sounded awsome. Horn loaded tweeters are very "bright and detailed" in my opinion. You either like the effect or you don't. No fence sitters. I think the effect rocks! HK is one of the few receivers that lets these speakers strut their stuff. Excuse the pun.

Username: Joolz27

Post Number: 1
Yes, I agree the Klipsch has a crisp sweet sound that draws my ear in. How would you say the Onkyo receivers (say the DS701) would compare to the HK. I'm also looking at an older Onkyo on ebay (TX-DS494). They're only rated at 55wx5, but is that an inflated number or 'underflated'??

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 17
You're not just looking, you're the high bidder!
:-)

Don't worry, I'm out for a h/k for my own Klipsch now, so I won't be competing with you. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
For fun I downloaded the PDF file of the manual of the Onkyo web site. The specs say 55W per channel at 8 ohms, two channels driven with no more than 0.08% THD from 20-20kHz (emphasis mine).

So no, don't expect 55W with all channels driven. But a lot of modern lower end brands/models rate at 0.5% THD, so 0.08% is a good indicator of better quality (if that helps). It also states a power comsumption of 260W, so unless that's not the maximum it can't go beyond some fraction of that at the speakers.

It's not a high end Onkyo, but so far it's not expensive either. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 292
joolz:

If I were to recommend an AV receiver for your Klipsch, it would be either the Harman/Kardon line for less than $1K, or Pioneer Elite for over $1K. (Don't really know what you want to spend, here).

Howevcer, if all you want is stereo (and stereo is just fine by me as I listen to the sweet strains of Nora Jones), I would recommend a Cambridge Audio integrated amp, either the Azur 540 or the Azur 640. You see, your Klipsch are a very forward sounding speaker, even bright sounding. This calls for an amp that is a little more reserved sounding, or "laid-back" as that term has been made popular by myself and a few others. Still, the concept is to balance out the respective sound qualities so that you are left with a reasoanbly neutral sounding system--i.e., one that you can listen to and enjoy all day without getting tired of listening to it. The Cambridge, which I suggested was inappropriate for Hugo's speakers, are actually a great combo with the Klipsch.

Now, Onkyo AV receivers are defintely "laid-back." But my problem with Onkyos are two fold: first, they don't deliver the power they promise--figure 40-50%, at best; and, second, their digital processing section is rather poor, based upon considerable listening that I have done. For example, when playing a DVD, other receivers either clearly presented sounds in the background or they at least were there and sounded muffled. But when I heard an Onkyo 700 playing the same DVD, the background noises weren't even there, leaving out must of the texture to the soundtrack.

If you can't hear the H/K directly against the Onkyo, I can describe the differences I hear. Hopefully, you can compare them yourself to see what you think. I find the H/K a bit darker sounding than the Onkyo, but has more detail and a much fuller, more realistic sound. The Onkyo sounds lighter, but also anemic by comparison, like the sound was being forced through a small hole (oh, and my comparison was a 65 wpc Onkyo 325 vs. a 100 wpc Onkyo 700). However, any darkness I might hear from the H/K were from speakers other than Klipsch--I think you would find the Klipsch would eliminate that charecteristic fo the H/K. It is really a great combo, as Blazer suggests.

I would recommend the H/K 325, which is being closed out now, for a very reasonable price--makes a dandy combination with your Klipsch Quintet. The price is only $369.00. Here is the link:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=349080&adcampaign=email,ewb04935

You also might check One Call (www.onecall.com). Both One Call and eCost are H/K authorized dealers.

Good luck!

Post Number: 3
Yes, you're right on top of it Detective Peter!! However, now that I've received this very helpful information, I'm hoping I don't win the auction for the Onkyo. Thanks for the great insight, everyone! I still think I'm going to need 2 receivers anyways.

Do you think the factory refurbished units from eCost are a concern??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Do you think the factory refurbished units from eCost are a concern??

That's a personal decision. It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the CDN$136 for taxed shipping+handling. Since you're on the west coast perhaps the prices would be more reasonable?

Bronze Member
Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 79
Joolz,
Take NO concern whatsoever from ecosts revurbs. I received my DVD Player like brand new in 6 days, and best of all, I only paid $49 for it, plus shipping. Refurbs are considered my many to be better than new actualy. While im not one of those people, there is good to refurbs..

1:The price is usualy a 3rd of retail or less. Letting you get a better product for less money.

2:They come just like new, and are "recycled" to save metals, and plastics from garbage dumps. Which in turn, promotes a better place to live.

3:They are tested before they are shipped, so the return rate is low.

Weather you buy a refurb or not, doesnt matter to me, but I would.

G.DawG

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 297
joolz:

I bought my Denon 3803 from eCost as a factory refurb--it is the only way I could afford it. I have had it almost a year now and I have never had the slightest bit of trouble. However, as I was not too sure about it, I did buy a one year warranty from Ecost (Denon's factory refurbs only carry a 90 day warranty) for an additional amount--$29.95 or 39.95, I don't remember which, and I have not had the slightest need to seek any attention to this receiver, despite some heavy usage.

I really believe factory refurb is a great way to go in an effort to save some serious dollars. I would not have recommended it otherwise.

Good luck !

Santiago
Unregistered guest
Hawk and other experts,

I have been really learning a lot from you guys. Now, I wonder whether you can give me a hand on my specific issue.

I already have a pair of Jamo speakers (E-630) that I bought 2y ago (thinking that were excelent), which I am about to complement with a new receiver. I wonder which one you think would be the BEST FIT for these speakers (in case they are actually worth it). I was considering either the HK-AVR325, HK-AVR525, NAD 742 or Marantz 7300, which I already know are well regarded here.

Then, if I get your blessing on the Jamo E630, I will to complete the speaker-set with the Jamo surround, center and subwoofer (E6SUR, E6CEN and E6SUB) that according to the Jamo Corp. are designed to match the ones I have. http://www.jamo.com/consumer/products/

Please, also let me know if I should sell them and get something better.

I will deeply appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Cheers

Santiago

Post Number: 5
Yeah, the factory refurbished concern is greatly eased when you research how much you're saving...

Hawk, you mentioned that ecost was an H/K authorized dealer, but they're not listed on the H/K website as such... Do you think they're getting around that issue by selling refurbished units?

One thing that's been concerning me with what I'm hearing about the avr325 or 525 is the loud cooling fan complaint. That sounds like something you don't want to hear when you're spending big bucks to have the cleanest sound possible. Do most units in this 'class' have audible fans? I know they need the cooling fans because of the powerful transistors - is it just something I'll have to live with?

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 204
Joolz: I think that PC-Mall and eCost are owned by the same company. I would send an e-mail to Harman Kardon to ensure that a subsidary of PC-Mall can see the units online with full warranty!

I have the AVR-525. For the times that the fan DOES come on... I've never noticed. My fan in my laptop, projector and especially the one in my ReplayTV 5040 box are the only ones I ever hear!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Joolz,

The ecost.com pages that list h/k also mention the 2 year warranty, so that looks good.

As far as the fan is concerned, there's a FAQ on the h/k web site that says it only turns on when the unit works pretty hard, e.g. running all 7 channels full blast. There's a chance you won't notice the fan then. It also says you can go years without the fan turning on in normal usage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us