Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

Silver Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 113
Anybody listened to this speaker? 2 8" woofers and some good reviews have sparked my interest at this price range!

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 26
where did you find reviews? I have been trying to find reviews on wharfedale speakers, and I haven't come across many at all. I am more interested in the pacific evolutions than the diamond 9's. I read something the other day that did spark my interest in the diamond 9's. On consumer said that they use the same cabinets as the flagship opus line.

Don't know if it is true or not, but what little I have read (and it is little) on the opus line indicate that teh cabinets are very, very nice.

I don't have showroom where I can audition these speakers near me, but I am interested in the evos first and then the diamond 9's

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
avguide.com has a new review. All I knw is that they are really well built.

Bronze Member
Username: Paulof

Portugal

Post Number: 24
Danman,

Indeed I have the 9.6 as fronts, 9.1 as surrounds and 8CS for center, the sub sw150 is delayed (should get it by the end of the month).
I'm quite new to audio, this is my first serious setup.
I'm driving them with NAD receiver T763 100x5 channels or 130w in stereo.
Up to now I'm very happy. If the receiver is well configured they really create a sound stage (didn't know what this meant before I had this gear) that is wide and a step back behing the speakers. Bass is great, I was almost giving up the sub since their response goes as low as 28Hz but I decided to keep it since I will be channeling 150W for LF only while with the 9.6 I'm channeling a little less power for all frequency range.
As to the construction be aware. These are mighty speakers, heavy, respectfull and will impress your friends. The design is the same of the Evo's, only the finishing is different since these are vinyl wrapped and the Evo's are varnished in real wood. The cable connectors are also the same "eavy duty" gold by-amp capable.
I think that for the price they cost they have no match.
I would recommend however not to use a low power amp. Although they are quite sensitive (90db) don't forget you have to drive 2 20cm woofers + one midrange + the tweeter.
The only improvement for me would be the tweeter that I think it's not sharp enough. On the other hand doesn't get you "tired" after some long listening like some other "brighter" tweeters.
I can provide you guys more details, just don't forget I'm quite new to this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Thank you PF. I really like good bass but not always from a sub even though I have a mighty(and wonderful) HSU VTF2-MKII. These speakers will replace M60 AXIOM'S that I have now for the past 10 months and even thought they are good........they are tiring and a bit flat in the lower and mid-bass and a little bright in the mids and higher levels therefore when you mention the tweeter is more laid back, I am sure I will like it that way. Don't get me wrong, The AXIOM's are a great speaker but just not for my ears.

How heavy are the 9.6's? Not very worried about power as I have a NAD C372 but am upgrading to a Musical Fidelity soon.

I hope to sell my AXIOMS soon so I can order the Wharfedales.........any takers?

Bronze Member

Portugal

Post Number: 25
OK, I hadn't seen your member's file. NAD 372 has more than enough juice for them...

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
How much do they weigh?

Bronze Member

Portugal

Post Number: 26
I say more than 20Kg but can confirm that on the User Guide.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
I have just received my Cherry 9.6's! VERY IMPRESSED. Beautiful build quality! I sold my AXIOM M60's for these and have no regrets. The AXIOMS were very good but more for home theatre than music as they are very bright in the treble on a lot of CD's especially if they are poorly recorded. I MUCH prefer the softer sound of the Wharfe's. They also have wonderful bass. I am very surprised at this quality for the price!

I have tried so many speakers lately only to be deceived by higher prices because of real wood finishes instead of sound quality.

If some of you are looking for a great all arounder, look at this model!

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 17
Has anyone heard the 9.1s? Are they better than the 8.1s?

Unregistered guest
We listened to hundreds of speakers, including some very high end, at this year's CES in Las Vegas. We thought the Diamond series were as good as any and far better than most. Quite remarkable for the price. This is what I'll buy if I can get past the wife/furniture thing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Never really believed there was a difference before but after bi-wiring my 9.6's there is a substantial difference in clarity and definition. My AXIOMS never reacted to this type of change! Odd.I really love these speakers and have received numerous wow factor comments from friends concerning their build quality and sound at this price range.

Bronze Member

Portugal

Post Number: 27
Shahrukh,

I have the 9.1s for surround and often use them in "double stereo" with the fronts and I have also listenen to them as main stereo speakers as my receiver allows that setting.
My opinion is that they seem more sensible than my main speakers (9.6) although the specs say otherwhyse (90db for the 9.6 and 86db for the 9.1).
The sound is clear and warm, the construction is very good for this price band includind the impressive binding posts.
On the other hand the deep bass becomes insuficient if you have them in large rooms like I do. You can't expect any miracles with their size...
I have heard they do pretty well in rooms <20m2.

Bronze Member

Portugal

Post Number: 28
Danman,

Never got back to you on the weight issue because it is not in the UG as you surely have confirmed.
By now you know their weight by heart if you had to carry them yourself to your home :=))
Byamping makes all the sense since the impedance of the speakers is not constant at all. The claimed 6ohm can be transformed into 20ohm for the tweeter and 2ohm for the woofer when feeding them real music and not test signals. This makes the power split between woofer and tweeter to become un-even and therefor you don't get the same power in treble and bass. When byamping that factor is cancelled, pitty that few amps allow that and as far as I know no reciever alloows it.

I told you they would impress your friens!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
PF.........I think you mean "bi-wiring" not bi-amping however, that would work too.

As for the sensitivity, all I can compare to is my old AXIOM M60's and these are not any different to my NAD 372 as far as I can tell and the AXIOMS are supposed to be better here but I am not sure.

From what avguide.com says, they weigh 56 pounds each! WOW that is about 10 poUnds more than my M60's were!

I also made some homemade speaker wires using CANARE 14/4 wire and gold banana plugs with all the wrappings and heat shrink and they look like I bought them for 500$ when I only paid about 30$ for all the material. They work fine.

Next, I plan on buying CREEK Cd and Integrated amp soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
As you can see, I changed from Musical Fidelity to CREEK after listening to both at home. Liked the CREEK combo a little better and they are more expensive but the MF X series is amazing and who knows....if the price is right, I may have a tough choice!

Bronze Member

Portugal

Post Number: 29
Danman, I did meant bi-amping in my explanation. Indeed I miss read your post, I though you meant bi-amping also.
I'm not much of a believer in bi-wiring, my degree in electronic engineering doesn't allow me to believe that. Your are only switching the shunt! Instead of shunting them at the binding posts you are shunting them at the amp. The only differece is that your carrying high frequencies in a different cable than the LF, perhaps some improvement in less intermodulation, but that's it.
I think there is a whole thread on this topic but I haven't read it.
Anyway if you find an improvement yourself and you are pleased, that's what counts and not theories.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 122
I think it is that my NAD 372 seems to increase its dynamics probably it has to do with the ability to adapt to different currents that bi-wiring brings with impedance changes. It seems to thnk that I am adding a second pair of speakers and with both channels turned on, the sound is more controlled. I think if someone bi-wires with an amp that only has an "A" channel, you will not get any benefits at all. The amp has to have both "A" and "B" switchability.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us