Bi-wiring

Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 8
So, what's the point of bi-wiring your speakers? I guess it means you have an amplifier (or receiver, as in my case) that has A/B output channels and you run both channels into a single pair of speakers, right?

The thing is...I'm in the market for a pair of speakers to use with my Yamaha receiver (Model R-7 75W RMS @8 ohms, 65W @4 ohms). I run two pairs of speakers with it. The new speakers will replace my old A-side speakers and the B-side is tied up with a small pair of speakers in the kitchen.

If I buy speakers that were made to be bi-wired, I'm wondering whether I won't be getting the most out of them if I only have one channel to feed to them.

I have a feeling that there's a lot of variables that might come into play and that there's no simple, clear-cut answer to this question. So, I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone is willing to share. I don't especially want to listen to what the salespeople have to say on this one.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 25
I have been looking for info on bi-wiring/bi-amping, and the link provided seems to give much good advice.
It confirms that to get the full benefit, you must rip out the crossovers in the speakers and connect them directly to separate amps which are driven by active crossover units.

To do the job properly will take quite a lot of effort, I think.

I may well take this on as a project when I take early retirement in three years time. I'm thinking of building a four channel Class A amp with built in active crossover to drive my two-way Castle speakers. It will cost me at the very least £2,000 (including test equipment to calibrate) plus about 4 months of eight hour days!

I must be crackers. :-)

Silver Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 143
That is one fascinating article, and one that makes a great deal of sense. I have belived that for some time, the weather effects how my system sounds: I made some facetious comments about filling my listeing room with some other gasses to assist, but I am convinced that air pressure and humidity level chages are easily audible. certainly more so that bi-wiring my speakers which if I am really truly honest, has made an almost imperceptible difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us