Typical advice related question -- What reciever/amp to buy

Username: Jacend

San Carlos, CA USA

Post Number: 1
My receiver recently stopped working properly (center channel does not play correctly -- low volume and really thin).

To get the system up and running again, I've been given a wife approved budget of ~$1,000. Conceivably, I could go up another ~$400 -- a lot of begging would need to be done, but if necessary, I'd wear a tutu for the right gear. I doubt if I could get past the $400 mark though.

I've come up with two solutiions: 1) buy a new a/v receiver or 2) use my current Denon as a pre-amp and get a multi-channel amp.

I've done a little research and have come up with the following equipment choices:

Receiver Choices
- Harman Kardon 7300 -- $1,400 delivered from an authorized dealer online
- Denon 3805 -- $950 from an online dealer (note ommission) offers 30 day return policy

Amp Choices
- Outlaw 7100 -- $950 delivered

I really didn't find much in the way of amps online. That being said, I've read that the following make good amps should I go that route and find something in my price range:
- Adcom
- Rotel
- Parasound
Again, I don't know what models they may offer in my price range that would compete well against the Outlaw amp.

Oh, other info that may be relevant:
Equipment
I have Paradigm Studio 60's and the CC for the front and ADP370's for the back. I ended up with a Paradigm sub as well -- PW 2200.

Room dimensions
The room itself is about 15ft wide but opens out in to a kitchen and dining room in the back -- about 30ft to the "opening" (the house has a horseshoe shape). Ceiling is 10ft.

Well there it is. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 37
What is the choice of music? Is it all types? ie:James Taylor AND Aerosmith? and will you want to add ht to the system?

San Carlos, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Music tends towards the harder stuff as a general rule, but I will throw in a CD of Bach or Tchaikovsky more than occasionally. However, I actually use my setup mostly for movies. Again, those tend to "the things blowing up" kind of movie, but will sometimes include a quieter movie, like say The Spanish Prisoner or The Big Night.

Bronze Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 41
the outlaws will blow up anything in the room if you want strait power, hands down.
a good pre/pro will tame things for the speakers, paradigms are not noted for more coarse stuff(canadian and all). My h/k experience is that they are overrated, and more money than show, without high punch, a bit short for video.
I do not have experience with the others, except for an old Rotel, but I think h/k will dissapoint you.

Cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 47
If you want an incredible multi-channel amp, check out the NAD T973. It's a 7x140w / 2x200 watt powerhouse. I saw this at a dealer not long ago and if it has the usual NAD poweramp quality it should be a great buy (provided it isn't overpowered for your system). To be honest you'd have to look up the price since I'm not sure what it sells for in the US.

I assume your denon has pre-outs on the back.

I also assume the centre channel problem isn't with the processor/preamp section otherwise you'd be out a lot of money for nothing.

Bronze Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 48
Oh.. I dug up a link for you to the 973: http://www.nadelectronics.com/ht_amplifiers/T973_framset.htm

Bronze Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 49
Having done more research it looks like it'll be too pricy for you Jacen. But you should take a look just for fun! What you can get for 1000$ (I know because I bought one recently) is a NAD T753 (maybe even a 763). The NAD Receivers have had a lot of complaints online here but I've had little trouble with mine and it sounds wonderful. I suggest auditioning it if you you the new-receiver route as I think you'll be surprised with how good it sounds.

If you're not up for that adventure and you liked your 'denon' sound up untill now, go with the new Denon. Like 'Nuck' says, I also think the h/k's are a bit overrated.

Bronze Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 42
pickle canuck(nice nik) agrees on the h/k, and I agree on looking at nad. However, psb(my speaker) recommend nad, therefore I see some strange bedfellows. These tend to be similar speaker arrangments, all tested and approved at NRC. That said, your ears will guide you. meself I be looking at arcom, perhaps the avr250 to look at?

San Carlos, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I hadn't even thought about NAD -- in fact I didn't know that they made receivers. I thought they were more of an amp only company. I think that should my receiver have a problem with the pre-out section of the unit, I'll definitely take a look. That being said, I think I'm leaning towards the Outlaw amp. Based purely on hearsay, it seems like the right amp for me and the budget that I've got.

Sigh, so many choices, so little money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us