HD Radio

Bronze Member
Username: Sjordan872

Post Number: 33
HK's new line up, http://harmankardon.com/news_reviews.asp
have a slot mounted tuner that can be upgraded to accommodate future DAB systems such as HD Radio. Does anyone know if other receivers (besides Onkyo/Integra with Netune) have the capability to listen to HD Radio? Is it possible to stream Internet radio from your PC to your receiver? If so, how? This seems like it would be very popular now and in the near future since over the air radio signals are of pretty poor quality compared to the new digital technology.

Username: Ocrazor

Post Number: 5
Digital radio has the potential to be a high quality format, but I doubt it will turn out that way. Its pretty big in Europe right now but I think they are already starting to split the bandwidth up for more channels of less quality. Internet radio is a better choice because the quality is only limited by your bandwidth. http://www.shoutcast.com is what I listen to. Most channels are 128 kbps and some are even 256 or 320! Thats VERY close to cd quality.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
ocrazor:
But how would you listen to it through your receiver?

Username: Ocrazor

Post Number: 6
Thats the hard part, but there are a couple of different options. The simplest would be to just plug the line out of your soundcard into the receiver, but because PCs are full of interference this would not be very good sounding.(although a good soundcard would help) The best (and most expensive) way is to get a soundcard that has digital output and then run that to a DAC or your receiver if it has digital inputs. An alternative to this might be an external soundcard, they are only about $150, but they should do the trick of keeping the signal digital until it can get far away from all of the PC interference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I think this might be one way to utilize Internet radio and your receiver.
http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=NC-500&class=Nettune&p=i

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 199
That is a nice receiver. Interesting. Not many people have ethernet running round their house, though.

I get good results very simply. All I needed was a mini-jackplug-to-stereo-RCA cable. It connects the headphone mini-jackplug socket of an Apple G4 PowerBook to a spare stereo RCA audio input of an NAD receiver. The computer's pre-amp is OK as long as you do not have its volume setting on max (where there is some distortion).

Although I have ethernet in some rooms, it is far more convenient to use "Airport", the Apple wireless network system. Even with the internet connection finally being a telephone modem at 56 kbps, the results are surprisingly good. All this is just as feasible and should give similar results with any kind of laptop, I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us