Yamaha HTR-5760 vs Pioneer VSX-1014

Username: Oneillga

Acworth, GA USA

Post Number: 1
Need Help!

Can not decide between the Yamaha HTR-5760 and the Pioneer VSX-1014. They both seem like great receivers but for the same money the Pioneer also has THX Select. Best Buy sales rep said to go with the Yamaha instead of Pioneer but I just need opinions. Is the THX Select feature worth having? I have pretty much all JBL Northridge series speakers(JBL Center, JBL Floor standing 3 ways, JBL surrounds and JBL center back and Velodyne Sub VPS-10)I use mostly for watching movies and music concerts.

For reasons I have to get this receiver at Best Buy and I only have a choice between these two receivers.

Can anyone advise?

Silver Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 117
I have heard both receivers, and personally I think the pioneer is a much better sounding receiver. To me, it had much better bass, and was less shrill sounding that the yamaha, which I did not like the high end at all. The caveat with this, is that you need to bring some music and go listen to these receiver and see how they sound - *to you*. That should be your final deal maker, what other might like, you may not.

Have fun listening!

Bronze Member
Username: Sause

Post Number: 30
Well it dependes on your listening tastes, the yamaha will have more emphasis on the high end while the poineer will put more on the mid-range. Two feautres that I like on the Yamaha is the second zone and the better DSP's. I also like more treble than bass. But most people will put the JBL's with the Pioneer for a more balenced sound.

joshua widener
Unregistered guest
What would go well with the Pioneer to serve as center and rear if you already have speakers for 5.1 setup? (KLH HTA-4100) would love some info.

The Fish
Unregistered guest
I have also been looking at those two models. I was in BB a couple of days ago and the Pioneer was down arouund $399 as compared to the yamaha at $499. Not sure if money is an issue for you.

I have still not made a decision yet. I like the Yamaha's YPAO feature,

some guy in Vegas
Unregistered guest
I've been wrestling with this same question for the last few weeks. Last night I picked up the 1014 from BB for $399 (vs. $499 for the 5760) and the sound is amazing.

Pioneer's MCACC mic system for auto-setup (like Yamaha's YPAO) is handy. Both are great decks, but I preferred the sound on the Pioneer (and a $100 price difference is a powerful motivator). I don't think you would go wrong either way, so I strongly recommend listening to both before choosing.

The Fish
Unregistered guest
some guy in Vegas...

What kingd of speakers are you running with this system?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us