Harman/kardon 230 new or 325 refurb?

Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 5
I can get either the harman/kardon 230 new or 325 refurb for nearly the same price.

Which should I get? Is there a plus to getting the 230? Any new technology in there? If not, then refurbished doesn't scare me.

Here are the common points and differences I could find:

In common:
- 192kHz 24-bit DACs
- all channel pre-outs
- Triple crossover system bass management

What the 230 has more:
- 100 dB S/N versus 95 dB on the older 325.
- Surround channels rated at 55W instead of 50W.

What the 325 has more:
- 7 channel amplification versus 6.
- 40 lbs versus 28 lbs (!!!)
- Learning remote! (Useful as h/k do not have preset codes for Bell ExpressVu)

Post Number: 6
I'll add two things...

- I plan on uusing only 5 channels right now, so 6.1 is always more than I need (for now anyway).
- I think I prefer the black face plate of the 325 to the new grey/black of the 230, since all my other gear is black. But I'd live with that if the 230 has more modern technilogy that leads to better sound.

Unregistered guest
You don't mention how much you'll be paying, but I just picked up the HK330 for $499 from J&R Music. That included tax, out the door. They are offering the unit for $499, no tax free shipping if you live outside of NY.

Jason

Post Number: 9
The 230 is US$350 and the 325 is only $20 more. I don't see a downside to it yet... :-)

Username: Landroval

Post Number: 6
Neither of them support DTS 96/24. Will you miss that? Where do they even use that?

I think AVR325 has 35MHz component video while AVR230 is limited to 30MHz. It's not a big difference and propably wont make any difference.

Post Number: 10
Neither of them support DTS 96/24. Will you miss that? Where do they even use that?

I don't know. I must admit I hadn't heard of DTS 96/24 before you mentionned it. :-)

Guess I'll go for the AVR325 (if they ship to Canada)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hmmm. there's no option for Canadian addresses when ordering from the http://store.yahoo.com/refurbelectronics/ web page, and their toll-free number doesn't work from here. Yet their web site mentions international shipping, so I sent an email. I wonder if I'll hear anything back from them.

:-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us