I need 5.1?

Username: Petergriffen

Post Number: 1
okay i'll try to make this clear. I have two old sony tower speakers with amp and sub built in, two rear sony wireless speakers and a center. The towers have pro-logic something. It has no digital inputs but does have analog 5.1 inputs,6 of them. I wanta hook up my tv which has a digital output, and my ps2 which has an optical? output. What would be the cheapest way to do this???a reciever? or some of 5.1 decoder? It doesnt need to be amplified since the speakers already have power. thanks for your help

Post Number: 2
anyone know?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 312
pre-amp

Only problem is these are usually designed for use in a system with seperates. (Pre-amp, power-amp) Unless you can find a good deal it won't be any cheaper to buy a pre-amp versus a receiver.

Post Number: 3
i was looking at some recievers on ebay. is there a device out there that will take the digital 5.1 source and change it into a analog 5.1 (the 6 plugs). Also on the ps2 is says its an optical output whats the difference?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 313
The only way to get 5.1 out of the PS2 is with the optical cable. You run the optical cable to the receiver or pre-amp, then plug the 6 interconnects into the pre-outs of the receiver or pre-amp.

Your problem will be that cheap receivers won't have the pre-outs, just usually one for the sub. So you will end up with a receiver with good power output, but you won't use it.

Your best bet, if you can't find a cheap pre-amp, is to buy a good receiver now, and upgrade your speakers later. You won't be sorry, especially replacing the wireless surrounds.

For an affordable pre-amp, Outlaw Audio jumps to mind -

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/950.html

At $699 this is great quality. Down the road you can purchase a power amplifier and the combo will be better than most receivers.

Post Number: 4
yea i can only spend like 100 so i guess i get no 5.1...unless some used one on ebay has all this.

Anonymous

Would the Creative Labs product, that they call the Decoder DDTS-100, work for you? Go to google.com and put in "review creative ddts-100" and you will get some more info...

Post Number: 5
yea but i doesnt have 5.1 (6 analog outputs). it has R and L output
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us