Speakers * E-100 * V-15F * CLSC-15 * CLSC-215 * RF-35

Username: Teenpirate

Hoover, Alabama USA

Post Number: 1
I am bulding a 2channel music stero system, and I am looking for some good speakers.

I have an Onkyo TX-8511 receiver(100/100 watts)

I am intrested in the:
JBL E-100
Klipsch RF-35
Cerwin Vega CLSC-15
Cerwin Vega CLSC-215
Cerwin Vega V-15F

I have heard the RF-35's, but I am unable to hear the other speakers. The RF-35's sounded good, but lacked the warm bass I want in my speakers. I would appricate it if anyone would give their opnions on these speakers compared to one another. I listen to a wide range of music, including punk/pop-rock like Offspring and GreenDay and I like my music 'stupid loud'. Bass is an important feature as well, I like to be able to feel the music as well as hear it. Which is why I think larger woofers will make me more happy with my system.

Here is a list of the wattage(rms), db Sensitivity, and the price I have found. (price is listed as a pair)

E-100: 125w, 91dB, $576 | 2 10" woofers
RF-35: 125w, 98dB, $660 | 2 8" woofers
CLSC-15: 400w, 94dB, $460 | 1 15" woofer
CLSC-215: 500w, 97dB, $606 | 2 15" woofers
V-15F: 400w, 102dB, $380 | 1 15" woofer

Any help or advice is greatly appriciated.
Thanks!

Username: Mike_6289

Post Number: 5
I have heard the 12" model of the Cerwin Vega V-15F... I was not impressed by the sound. There was a big hole in the mid-bass, I would guess from about 300hz to about 500hz. The high end was not clear at all. I haven't heard the other two Cerwin Vega speakers. I like how the JBL-e100s sounded, but they take quite a bit of power to drive the dual 10s. I haven't heard the RF-35s, but to me the stuff from klipsch sound clear but a bit too bright for me. If you like the sound of the RF-35s then go for them, but also buy a powered subwoofer to make up for the 8" drivers. If you want to spend a bit more and get speakers with an even smoother response, then I suggest the Mission m35i speakers. They go from 40hz to 20khz +- 3db and from 34hz to 32khz -6db for around $1100 cdn.

Hope I was helpful

Hoover, Alabama USA

Post Number: 2
I can not have a sub, which is why I need woofers that will make up for the bass.

You said the E100's were good speakers, but that they take alot of power. Would my tx8511 reciever be powerfull enough?

Also, did the E100's have enough bass to make up for the missing sub? (keep in mind this is a music setup)

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 84
The E100 can take a lot of power but doesn't require lots of power to drive it as it's a very efficient speaker with 91dB SPL. The bass is tight and solid and it can go down to ~ 30Hz with my test CD. Your TX8511 can drive the E100's comfortably.

Username: Mike_6289

Post Number: 8
Yes, the E100s can be driven by your TX8511... I suggest that since the E100s can be bi-amped, and the TX8511 is stable at 4 ohms

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yAiKpizIgwj/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10410&id=detaile d_info&i=580TX8511

you should hook up each speaker in parallel

Username: Guss

Post Number: 6
heard of the qln 604 mk2??? it some small woofers but they say it goes down to around 22hz (but I guess 30hz is more correkt) and I listen ti them an was very satisfied myself. planing on bying them

Hoover, Alabama USA

Post Number: 3
A few questions here:

From what Im hearing, my best bet would be to go with the JBL E-100's?

Also, that I should Bi-wire them since I have connections for 2 sets of speakers (A&B)

Since this is a 100/100w reciever, will it loose wattage if I bi-wire? ie(25/25 - 25/25)

Will there be any disadvantages running them in 4ohms?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
A normal speaker has a single speaker terminal where the full range signal is sent from the amp to its crossover network via the + terminal and then returns to the amplifier via the - side. This can degrade the sound because the bass signal, which is powerful and requires much more power, may overpower and mask the high frequency signal. A bi-wiring capable speaker on the other hand has 2 separate terminals for the low and high frequency drivers, which have their own crossover networks. By sending the low and high frequency signals separately using bi-wiring, we practically minimize the masking effects and in turn, it would give a much cleaner high ends from the speaker with more subtle details and most people can hear a big improvement.

When bi-wiring a speaker, you don't cut its norminal impedance in half and you don't lose the power because the low and high frequency drivers have their own crossover filters (instead of having both low and hi filter on the same crossover network as in a normal speaker). The only difference is the way you wire your speaker to the amp and therefore, the way the low and high frequency are sent to the speaker. You don't cut the norminal impedance in half because you're not running 2 separate speakers in parallel. You can use 2 sets of speaker outputs (A and B) on the amp for bi-wiring if you have large speaker wires or you can just use a single output (A or B). It's just a matter of convenience but either way doesn't make a difference to the amp, impedance-wise.

Hoover, Alabama USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks, I did not know that, and it will be usefull when I get my speakers.

Michael recommend 4 ohms because I would be able to get more power out of my amp that way, but will that effect the quality of my music or any other factor?

I am leaning towards the JBL E-100's because of everyones comments, but I also saw the JBL-S312II and I hear they are good as well; having a 12" driver.
http://www.hypeaudio.com/hypeaudio/s312iich.html

Any thoughts? Keep in mind I like to listen to my music very loud, and they are generally fast paced songs; not sure if the 12" driver would be better than the dual 10" of the E-100's

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
You can't go wrong with either E-100 or S312II, and either one would be good timbre match for the EC35 even though the S312II has a 1" titanium laminated tweeter instead of 0.75" as in the E series. The two 10" woofers would push as much air (if not a bit more) as an 12" woofer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us