H/k 230 for Klipsch LaScala? :-)

Unregistered guest
I had never considered h/k before, but seeing their name here made me think I should look...

The AVR 230 seems to have all the features I want and boast 192kHz 24-bit DACs (like the higher priced Marantz SR5300). It's available online in the US for US$349.95 at www.bhphotovideo.com and US$379.88 at www.jandr.com.

See http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR%20230&sType=C

I can't say I like the look (and all my gear is black), but that's a secondary concern.

I am seeking opinions on this for HT use with Klipsch LaScala (considering I'll drive either the main speaker or the surround speakers with an external amp, so the power issue is lessened)?

This is similar in price to the Marantz SR4400 (that is lacking 192kHz 24-bit DACs, but has more power than the h/k), so I'm interested.

Thanks!

Username: Landroval

Post Number: 3
Here in Finland the AVR230 costs ~550 euro so it's almost double price. I can't deny that I'm a little jealous.

Have you seen any real power measurements on AVR230? Or reviews of any kind of new H/Ks?

Username: Petergalbraith

Post Number: 1
They are more expensive in Canada too, but at least I have the option of ordering from the States,

I haven't seen any press reviews, and was posting here to get some feedback on it. I'll update this thread if I find anything.

Bronze Member
Username: Krackerjack

Post Number: 11
Peter,

I don't know the tech specs of speakers and wouldn't want to make a recomendation about them. However I can speak to the H/K AVR230 as I recently purchased one myself. If you have not heard one yet, try to find somewhere where you can. The power it puts out is not reflected in the wattage. When I auditioned receivers, I listened to the Onkyo 601, the Denon 884, 1604 and 1804, The Yamaha HTR 5660 and the list goes on. Honestly, the HK kept up with all of them and blew away the rest in quality of sound.

Regarding price, you're right, you can get the 230 for $349 at B&H and since I live in NYC, I considered it also. But after asking some questions on ecoustics, one gentleman mentioned vanns.com. Vanns lists the price on "sale" at $385 but they also price match, they don't charge tax (Montana is a no sales tax state), and shipping is free. Total price paid for unit...$349.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Peter,

By no means take this info as gospel (because they are consumer reviews from a low end store), but there are some reviews on Circuit City's website: http://www.circuitcity.com/home.jsp, vanns.com. Also if you go to cnet.com, they review the AVR130 and 330 which may help a little.

You may also post a note to a guy by the name of Hawk on this site. He always gives good advice and really seems to know his stuff.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Maxwell,

I'd be buying from out of state anyway so i don't expect to pay any taxes (I do expect to be charged Canadian GST tax when it is imported by the carrier).

I could also get factory refurbished from h/k authorised dealer:

AVR 225 US$275 (5.1, last year's model)
AVR 325 US$369

Both seem like a good deal! I'll have to download both their manuals to check them out.. I'll see if the AVR225 has the 196kHz/24bit DACs like on the AVR230.

Thanks for the input! It helps because there is no local dealer where I could listen to one!

Username: Stereo55

Post Number: 5
Hey there Maxwell Rodriguez ,

Sorry I never got a chance to get back to you on the other post , I was busy doing my taxes lately and have been preparing for a future house move .

So ... you purchased the AVR-230 I see . Seems you really like it yes ? I still have my HTR-5660 from Vanns sitting here unopened , and STILL thinking of a return for the AVR-230 .

Did Vanns match the B&H's price of $350 (including shipping ) ? If so , then I'll call Vanns today and return the HTR-5660 .

Thanks for any relpy (and again Iam sorry for my late reply to your e-mail .

Thanks ...stereo55

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 199
Most HK receivers have very solid amp sections--even when low-powered in wattage they generally keep the wattage at listed ratings even with all channels driven.

Given that most Klipsch speakers are extremely easy to drive--most are considerably over 91 db's in sensitivity, you should have no trouble driving the speakers.

You can look up the sensitivity ratings on your Klipsch speakers and make sure they are high sensitivity at the Klipsch website.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Stereo-55,

Yes they did match the price. The first time I called though, the sales person said they needed to tac on a shipping fee. So I called back a few minutes later and got someone else who did it for $349 no tax or shipping :-).

Thanks again for the Vanns suggestion.

Username: Stereo55

Post Number: 6
[quote]

Yes they did match the price. The first time I called though, the sales person said they needed to tac on a shipping fee. So I called back a few minutes later and got someone else who did it for $349 no tax or shipping :-).

[end quote]

Heh heh ... hey Maxwell did the first Vanns rep sound kinda "real lazy" *slow talking voice* .If yes , then it fiqures about the shipping added on .The "lazy talker" is my UNfavorite guy over at Vanns , but everyone else seems to REAL helpful and polite .
Guess Ill give Vanns a call and give it a try , depending which rep I get ( gonna just hang up on the "lazy talker" and try again ... lol

Thanks Maxwell for the latest info , and glad to see your happy with the AVR-230 =) .

Post Number: 4
Thanks Gregory,

I don't expect problems driving the Klipsch LaScala. You'll find them in the heritage section of their web page. They are rated at 106 dB at 1W and 1m. I listenned to some Holly Cole this afternoon and sometimes hit peaks of 1W per channel on my power amp. So 50W per channel is fine by me.

I'll next look into the AVR 225 and AVR 325 specs, just in case they are as good.

There are still two older Pioneer Elite VSX-24TX on ebay.ca. Does anyone think they are contenders with the current crop of (low end of) h/k?

Post Number: 8
The h/k AVR 225 is out. No pre-outs on all channels. So I'm left with the other two... new 230 or last year's model 325. See the other thread I started about that.

Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us