Want to purchase new reciever

Username: Duk748

Post Number: 1
hello - it has been almost 20years since i bought a new reciever - i currently have a sony str-av780 as my base unit - i want to purchase a new reciever that is good for both home theater & audio w/ at least 100wpc - i want the tightest specs w/ the most bang for buck on the home theater side as well - i am leaning towards yamaha
any advice would be very appreciated - i am looking in the 5-700.00 range - thank you
sorry, i have been out of the audio market far too long!! - i will be using a pair of polk audio
sda-2 speakers w/ this system

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 18
I could'nt be any more happy with my Denon 2805,BStock from Dakmart.com for $671. If i was going to the retail store,the new Denon 2105 has got to be the best deal out there right now.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Pioneer 1014, Marantz 5500, HK 435 would be my top choices.

Also you can get a refurb Marantz 7400 for $600 at accessories4less.com which is an amazing deal.

Lots of threads on the Pio at hometheaterforum.com

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 21
I got the Pioneer elite vsx 54-tx for $661 delivered from elegantaudiovideo.com. It is a great receiver, and I do not think I could be happier.

You can get the Yamaha rx-v2500 online for just a bit over $700.

$500 & Under I would definitely go for the Pioneer 1014.

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 82
I have to agree with Xsound on the elite 54tx, i did alot of listening to the elite, yamaha, and denon this weekend, and they elite is a real amazing receiver for its price.

edster922
Unregistered guest
The Pioneer 1014 is going for $400 shipped right now at Harmony Computers dot com, that is a killer bargain.

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 27
Some minor things. 2808-THD.05%,2105 .08%,1014 .09%
Component Video Bandwidth 2805 and 2105 100Mhz
1014 40Mhz.
All had about the same watts and inputs and outputs

edster922
Unregistered guest
don't know about the video bandwidth thing, but the .01-.04% difference in THD is completely irrelevant, it's like choosing a sports car by which one gets 0-60 in 4.5 versus 4.1 versus 4.4 seconds.

Guess what it comes down to is how much you want to spend, and how much you can really HEAR the difference for the extra dough. Conservative estimates are that maybe 90% of the population does not have audiophile hearing.

A lot of people like to imagine that they can hear the difference when in fact very few really can, the rest are just ego-tripping...viva capitalism! : )

Bronze Member
Username: Sause

Post Number: 22
When talking about THD the human ear can only hear things 2% or higher (Yamaha web site)

Username: Duk748

Post Number: 2
hello again & thank you for all your help - i have narrowed down my choices to a yamaha 2400 or a denon listed here - i will be using this reciever for almost all audio rather then home theater but wanted the inputs & specs for future -
everyone has there own "best" & i am glad i found this site - best to all

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 34
Well unless i read it wrong,you want a bandwidth of at least 100Mhz for multi-channel audio. Could be wrong,could be right.

Username: Dwl787

Post Number: 3
Well a looking at setting up my own Home Audio sound system

Unsure what brands to go with:
speakers: Sony?
reciever: Pioneer? or what is the best brand?

also what else would I need?
David
DLambie@telus.net

Bronze Member

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 35
Dont think sony are known for speakers. Look at Polk,Klipsch,whatever name brands you have local.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us