HT Systems - Need Help

Username: Shan

Athens, Georgia USA

Post Number: 3
Hello Every One,

I am a new member with zero knowledge in home electronics. I need some help from the members. I want to buy a Home Theater System not the package but separate receiver and separate speakers and sub-woofer. (my first venture into home theater) I have gone through many web sites and got confused by seeing many brands and models but at the end I have selected some requirements for the system and I want you members to help me buying the right system for me. My requirements are as follows.

7.1 Receiver with THX selects; cinema mode etc, etc.
DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic IIx
Minimum 100 Watts x 7 Channels
HDTV-Ready
Powered Zone 2 Capability with Zone 2 (Multisource) Line/Pre Out
Composite To S-Video Conversion, Composite And S-Video To Component up conversion
Pre Outs: Front L/R, Center; Surround L/R; Surround Back L/R; Subwoofer
Maximum Inputs and Outputs
5CH/7CH Input
Net Tune; Ethernet, in short maximum features in my budget.

I also want matching speakers and subwoofer for the same.

I have a medium room size at present but planning to move and I will have a bigger room for the same.

My budget is $ 1800 to 2200.

I have read about VR-8070; TX-NR 901; TX-SR 702B; AVR 5803;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shan

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 57
shan,

While it is certainly possible to buy all of that and remain within budget, I would tend to recommend building your theater gradually.

For example the Denon 5803 you listed is about $3500 by itself. Without knowing your expectations and what you look for in a home theater, it's a little difficult to give recommendations.

As for a two zone receiver, you'll probably expect to pay near $1,000 at the low end I suspect. Somebody might want to step in and correct me on that........

Currently, Im about ready to buy a YamahaRX-V2500 which is within your power ratings and is two zone for around $700 at pricegrabber.com. Both Pioneer and Denon also have comperable models that would be in the under $1,000 price range too.

As for speakers?? Geez, it wouldnt take much effort to go over your entire budget for a complete surround package in those alone. Possible things to consider would be to start with just front speakers, and then add the center and rear speakers as funds are available.

All I can say is dont skimp on speakers because IMO, those are the most important piece of the HT puzzle. A bad pair of speakers will sound bad even if powere by the $3500 Denon. On the other hand, a great pair of speakers will still sound better, even if powered by a mediocre receiver. Sure, they'll sound better if powered by great amp, but they'll still beat the lousy speakers regardles of what powers them.

jimvm
Unregistered guest
Take a look at Denon's AVR-2105; I believe it has all of the features you're looking for except Net Tune and it's only $649 (the 10 wpc less is negligible).

That leaves a little over $1,500 for speakers. Speakers are very subjective and I suggest you get out and listen to as many as you can so you can determine the kind of sound you like. At that price point, you might try Paradigm's Monitor line, B&W's 600 or 300 series, Monitor Audio's Bronze series, Athena Technology's Audition series and Polk Audio's RTi's. There are a few companies that sell exclusively on-line and have good reputations -- Axiom is one that comes to mind. With respect to online companies, unless you are able to find someone who owns them and will let you audition them, you'll have to purchase them prior to hearing them. Axiom and others do have liberal return policies.

For a decent inexpensive sub, look at Hsu, SVS (PB10-ISD), Dayton or Titanic from partsexpress.com, Adire Rava, etc.

There are many other speakers that are good and I'm sure someone else will make other recommendations.

In order to stay within budget, you might also consider purchasing B-Stock from an authorized dealer. Also, some folks have had success either purchasing used equipment on sites like audiogon and/or purchasing from unauthorized dealers. With either, you get no warranty (unless you buy used gear for which the warranty is transferable; very few of those).

Good luck!

jimvm
Unregistered guest
I should add that I agree with Paul that the better way to do this is to build your system gradually. Get your receiver, mains and center first. Then, later as you can afford to, add a sub and surrounds. You'll no doubt end up with nicer gear that way.

Athens, Georgia USA

Post Number: 4
Hi Paul and jimvm

Thanks for the reply. I also agree that the better way to do this is to build the system gradually. I saw Yamaha RX V2500 and it has almost all the features I am looking for. I have also seen Pioneer VSX-56Txi; Onkyo TX-NR901 and Onkyo TX SR702. All these models have almost the same features and I could not decide which the best is and what the differences are. If you van give some light, I can decide and buy amongst these models.
Regarding Speakers, how much do you think I should increase my budget so I can get quite reasonable good quality speakers? I know most of the good speakers are quite expensive but I am looking for good quality and reasonably good price.
How are the Axiom speakers? I think it will come for $2000 for 7.1 systems. On Axiom site I tried through wizard I got following speakers for $2028.25.

Centers VP150 $385.00
Fronts M3 $300.00
Rears QS4 $400.00
Surrounds QS4 $400.00
Subs EP350 $650.00 and some discounts.

How are those speakers? Will I get Polk also in this price? Which are better? Or how much should I increase my budget for reasonable speakers?

Regards
shan

Athens, Georgia USA

Post Number: 5
Hi Paul and jimvm

Thanks for the reply. I also agree that the better way to do this is to build the system gradually. I saw Yamaha RX V2500 and it has almost all the features I am looking for. I have also seen Pioneer VSX-56Txi; Onkyo TX-NR901 and Onkyo TX SR702. All these models have almost the same features and I could not decide which the best is and what the differences are. If you van give some light, I can decide and buy amongst these models.
Regarding Speakers, how much do you think I should increase my budget so I can get quite reasonable good quality speakers? I know most of the good speakers are quite expensive but I am looking for good quality and reasonably good price.
How are the Axiom speakers? I think it will come for $2000 for 7.1 systems. On Axiom site I tried through wizard I got following speakers for $2028.25.

Centers VP150 $385.00
Fronts M3 $300.00
Rears QS4 $400.00
Surrounds QS4 $400.00
Subs EP350 $650.00 and some discounts.

How are those speakers? Will I get Polk also in this price? Which are better? Or how much should I increase my budget for reasonable speakers?

Regards
shan

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 22
Net tune is an Onkyo thing. No one else will have net tune, though some manufacturers in the future may use ethernet connections.

The Pioneer Elite vsx-56txi has 2 usb and 1 firewire connection, which may suffice. I personally like the 56txi out of all the receivers in the $1000 (on the internet) arena.
Firewire for SACD & DVD-A, USB for computer, warm sound, ample power, pretty good remote. I believe the Yamaha rx-v2500 has more component inputs though.

If you want to try the axioms for a medium size room that will turn into a larger room, I would look at getting the M60's and the VP150. the cost would be 1285. Add the QS8's to get to 5.1 a little later and wait til after the move to make the system 7.1

Cost of the vsx-56, the M60's, and the VP150 would be 2285.

My other preference would be the vsx56 and the Monitor Audio Silver S6 and the SLCR. You could get this package at online stores for about $2200 as well.

Athens, Georgia USA

Post Number: 6
I did not get the meaning of " If you want to try the axioms for a medium size room that will turn into a larger room"

Bronze Member
Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 23
You wrote that you have a medium room presently, but that you will be moving soon and will have more room.

I thought you meant that the next room would be larger than your current room. If so, the 3's may have trouble filling the space. that's all.

I have a medium to large room. I am looking at the m22's. I have concerns about their ability to fill the room, but I am looking at them over the m60's because ultimately they will move into my bedroom where they won't have any trouble filling the space with sound.

Athens, Georgia USA

Post Number: 7
You are right. In near future I will be moving to a bigger room. So for bigger room please sujest me the speakers. Will it be anything wrong if I use the bigger speakers in a small room?

Athens, Georgia USA

Post Number: 8
You are right. In near future I will be moving to a bigger room. So for bigger room please sujest me the speakers. Will it be anything wrong if I use the bigger speakers in a small room?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us