Wharfedale Diamond 9s or 8s???

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
I've been reading a lot about Wharfedale's new 9 series. And the (one) big award the 9.1s have won with WhatHifi magazine. But somehow, nobody else seems to be saying anything else. I heard the 9.1s briefly but then they went "out of stock". I found them rather dull as compared to the 8 series (8.1 & 8.2). Is it just me or have others had similar experiences. I guess it was because they weren't run in, but they didn't impress as much as the 8s did. Also there are hardly any good reviews on the net. Will someone who's heard them please provide your inputs?

edster922
Unregistered guest
WhatHifi seems to have a special thing for Wharfdales, they praise them lavishly but I haven't seen that many other magazines do that. My friend has some 8.2s and I was not very impressed with them either.

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
That's just it. I haven't heard anything about the 9s except for What Hifi. I quite like the 8.2s though. For that price, I think they're awesome!

edster922
Unregistered guest
I just hope it's not one of these sleazy "you buy advertising in our magazine and we'll praise the hell out of your speakers" deals.

Bronze Member
Username: Ca_convert

CardiffUK

Post Number: 88
Oooh hush your mouth edster :-) as if....

I am also wondering what the hell the reviewer was smoking when he/she hooked up the 9.1's zzzzzz

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
That's what I was hinting at Edster.... haha! Sounds like you've heard them huh, CA_convert? They are rather dull aren't they? Not as good as the 8.1s? I'm a guy on a tight budget with a really small room. I liked the 8.1s but was waiting for the 9s to arrive. Now that they have, it all seems like an anti-climax. I need to hear from more people who've heard the 9s (and the 8s). I wanna know if everyone has the same reaction..

Bronze Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 53
The diamond 8.1s I've heard and personally I think they're amazing speakers...much better than practically any other bookshelf type speaker. They produce tonnes of clear, punchy sound. I too want the 9.1s, but looking at the price difference between the two series, it's £90 and I dont know if its really worth it. Wharfedale's brochure on the 9.1s tell you every little difference they've made and how the cabinets are curved to reflect any waves better but having not heard them, I really dont know. I would guess they sound amazing though. I think its a speaker thats really good and it takes forever to get people to know about them. I was in WHSMITH the other day and looked through every hi-fi mag...they all had excellent reviews on the 9.1s. I'd like to see what difference the 9.2s when they come out in the UK will make on the hi-fi magazines!

Bronze Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 90
Interestingly the floorstander 9.3's using the same drivers were bottom of the class big time in this months what hi fi.

Shahrukh, my very glib answer is you should have auditioned them first. I only likstened to them out of interest to see just "how far" 2ub £200 standmounters have come that supposedly have left my old B&W DM303's behind. Not very far it seems. I think the DM600 S3 similar price £200 are a much better all rounder than the 9.2's , but again they are another forgotten gem. AE Evo 1 likewise.

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
ca_c, I have listened to them. I just wanna know from others if they think it's worth spending the extra moolah for the 9.1s. Or just spend less on the 8.1s and enjoy the same sound quality...! But, your advice definitely holds water. I too believe that the B&Ws are better. But I'm on a tight budget. A reallllly tight one. Also, what receiver would you suggest with the diamonds? (other than CA). I personally liked Marantz's SR 4400. But then, Yamaha's RXV 350/450 suits my budget more. Any suggesttions?

Jelvis, where else did you read reviews on the 9.1s?

ctd
Unregistered guest
I'd say the 8s are excellent. I've heard the 9.1s. They probably needed more break in.

AudioACE
Unregistered guest
I owned a Diamond 8.1, and now a Diamond 9.1. The 9 is definitely better when you listen loud. Otherwise, you'd only notice a slightly warmer balance overall, and a sweeter, more prominent midrange... more akin to the newer Sonus Faber speakers. The older Diamond 8 may seem more transparent at first, but in the end it seems to sound anemic when compared to the Diamond 9.

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
Is it worth spending the extra $$$ for the 9.1s. Also which reciever/amp are u using, AudioACE?

ctd
Unregistered guest
I dunno Shahrukh. The 9.1s sound only a tad better. Dunno if you wanna pay extra $$$$ for it if you're on a real shoestring budget.

weeman223
Unregistered guest
I own a set of 9.1"s and i think they are great speakers .They are hooked up to a denon av1705
receiver...i have an sw150 sub 9.0 rears and the 9.cc centre .They are great played loud when watching movies in dts mode.

Shahrukh
Unregistered guest
I won't be playing my music too loud!

Silver Member

CardiffUK

Post Number: 145
I think you've answered your own question.

Username: Ellison

Post Number: 2
I own a wharfdale 9.1. It is a good speaker as What Hifi said. Its really bang for the bucks.
But I don't use it now. Iam using Mordaunt short 914 floorstanding. D detail of Wharf9.1 is about 85% of MS914 minus the Bass extension and midband weight. Overall the Whar9.1 is really acceptable with respect to its cheap price.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 22
What I really wanna know is the difference. 9 series owners will say the 9.1s are great and likewise for the Diamond 8 series owners. Is there anyone out there who's actually A-B'd the two? Again, my question is "IS THERE A LOT OF DIFFERENCE????" Only AudioAce has come close to my question. I want more opinions.

Bronze Member
Username: Richt

Post Number: 14
Jelvis, I too am eager to know how the Warfedale 9.2's sound. And the 9.3's for that matter.

Anyone know when they're likely to enter the UK market?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Rich. Currently only the 9.1s and 9.4s are available in the UK at the moment. I e-mailed wharfedale quite a while back and they didn't give an exact date to when the rest of the Diamond range will be arriving in the UK, just said 'not for a while'. I bet the 9.2 and 9.3s do sound amazing though. Strange how the 9.3s dont have the dual bass extension ports!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Rich. Currently only the 9.1s and 9.4s are available in the UK at the moment. I e-mailed wharfedale quite a while back and they didn't give an exact date to when the rest of the Diamond range will be arriving in the UK, just said 'not for a while'. I bet the 9.2 and 9.3s do sound amazing though. Strange how the 9.3s dont have the dual bass extension ports!?

Bronze Member
Username: Richt

Post Number: 15
I guess they don't really need them due to the larger driver cone. Maybe if it had two ports, it would be too un-balanced or something.

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 24
I BOUGHT THE 8.1s AND AM LOVING THEM. EVEN BEFORE BREAK-IN! AWE******SOME!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us