Can i connect speakers to a c.d player with no amp?

Anonymous

I got 2 200watt speakers off my m8 and am wonderin if i can connect them 2 my c.d player or i have to get an amp.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 117
you are gonna need an amp

Anonymous

can i play c.d's thru the amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
the amp should have analog rca inputs. you can buy a cable that converts mini plug to rca male plugs from radio shack or best buy.

Anonymous

so by doing that i can connect it to my c.d player and play c.d's thru that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
yes. it may not sound the best but it will work. the cd player i am guessing is like a walkman does all the processing of the cd and sends a signal to be amplified which is what the amp is for.

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 299
Here's an idea -

Go out looking for second hand bargains - ebay, or whatever and buy yourself a decent audio system to use with your speakers. A full size amp and CD player should do the trick and shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg, if you're patient in looking.

What speakers did your mate give you?

Additionally, your personal CD player can be connected to a neat little pair of active speakers, which you can pick up very cheap these days. There is a tiny built in amp in the one speaker, which runs them both - perfect for a bedroom, or holiday system.

V

Anonymous

good idea varney cheers m8

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, I have the same question as this guy. I really dont know nothing about electronics, and I want to connect a big speaker to my mp3 player (ipod).
So do I just go at a store and buy an amp. and after, i connect it to the speaker directly? I guess the amp comes with the little thing that you plug in the audio jack of the mp3 player?
sorry for my english, and thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 124
No worries but let's back up and think about this.

What speaker or pair of speakers do you want to use with your iPod?

It may very well be less expensive and much easier to buy one of the many self-powered speakers for use with the iPod.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70503/wo/P7qrg71 kaWeV2bfkRXj1xfAUc1d/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.13.1

An amp (short for amplifier- electronic device that amplifies an electrical signal) will need to be connected to the iPod with a set of interconnects (cables).

With the iPod, you have 3 choices:

1) use a 1/8 mini to RCA cable adapter and run it through the headphone output (jack)

2) use a 1/8 mini to RCA cable and the line output on the back of the Dock station

3) Use one a Dock to RCA adapter (I think Monster and Belkin make something like this).

Finally, the amp will be connected to the speaker or pair of speakers if you want 2-channel audio (stereo) with speaker wires.

Does this answer your question?

It's probably easier to just buy one of the self-powered speaker systems that are made for use with the iPod if all you want is a nice and simple iPod-based sound system...

An amp (short for amplifier- electronic device that amplifies an electrical signal) will need to be connected to the iPod with a set of cables...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70503/wo/P7qrg71 kaWeV2bfkRXj1xfAUc1d/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.13.1

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot for the help!
This is what I plan to do:
use a 1/8 mini to RCA cable adapter and plug it in my audio jack of the iPod.
I then connect this to an amp, and then I connect it to the speakers. Will that work?
I really dont want to buy speakers made for the iPod, since I have those high quality speakers and I want to make a nice box to put them in. What I'd do is just connect the ipod to the 1/8 mini to RCA cable adapter when I want to listen to it in a room..
Do you think this will work?

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
I actually got this idea from this website
http://formatc.co.nr/
Click Ipod on the top, then speaker version 2, then click for the full story.
Maybe this will help understand what I want to do

Silver Member
Username: Tevo

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 125
Creative. :-) The owner of that website built his own self-powered speaker out of some basic materials and electronic components.

Yes, you have a basic understanding of what is required.

What speakers do you have? And how much do you want to spend on an amplifier?

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
Isnt an amplifier just like 8 bucks? Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by amplificator...
isnt this what I need?
http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=fr-CA&catalog=RadioShack&c ategory=Semi+Conductors%2fIC's&product=2769052

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
just copy and paste - the link didnt appear correctly

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
As for the speakers, there are actually five things.

At the top, there is a small speaker. Here is what is written on it: IMP 8ohms, 8W MAX. This thing is connected to another thing which can control the "tweeter level" : 944Q, 8 ohms, 50 dB

Then in the middle, there is another speaker: 6ohms, NOM 2W, connected another thing which controls "mid level", which has the same specs.

Then at the bottom, there is a bigger speaker :
8ohms max 45W

BTW, They are all SONY

newbie_here
Unregistered guest
BTW, I will just be connecting the iPod to the bottom speaker, the bigger one

Tony B
Unregistered guest
Can I connect audio speakers using bell wire type cable to a phono connector? My aim is to simply plug speakers into my dvd using phono connectors on the end of this bell type wire. What I am unsure about is that phono connectors expect a single core cable with shielding. Alternatively how can phono type connectors with ready connected cables be connected to the speakers?
Sorry for the lack of audio finess.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 646
you generally can't connect an MP3 player or cd player effectively to an amp. You will generally need to connect them to a preamp first, because the signals from the cd player or MP3 player are too weak for the amplifier and require the boosting from the preamp.

Of course, you can connect them to an integrated amp (which is a combination of amp/preamp). There are self-powered computer-type speakers that would likely work in direct hook up with the players. Of course, you aren't going to get wondrous performance, but it will sound like a pretty good computer speaker set-up.

format c:
Unregistered guest
hey!
lol im the author of the ipod speaker tutorial on formatc.co.nr :-)
cool, the idea is spreading!! :-D

btw, i'm also working on an fm transmitter similar to griffin's itrip, but hopefully much cheaper
just drop by and see if i'm finished!

xess
Unregistered guest
Gregory Stern, I think the kind of AMP these people are thinking of buying would generally include a pre-amp; and, as far as im aware almost all 'AMPS' also include a pre-amp as it is *almost* always necessary to pre-amplify the signal before 'proper' amplification. However you are right, the signal would need pre-amplifing first but lets not try to overcomplicate things ;-). It may be cheaper just to buy a cheap CD player with the Input you are planning to use, or as Gregory Stern suggested a cheap set of PC speakers (which you can get for £3 if you look around); this can sometimes cause the battery on your CD player to run out quickly, I have tried this on my dads PC speakers with no problem however. You could also get a 'Case Speaker' there small cases for your CD / MP3 player which have a built in amplified speaker, sound quality isnt the best one these and they do require batteries as they are designed for travel use mainly; you could if you wish make a small power supply for one of these but i shant go into that.

Hope this helps

Anonymous

hey. is it possible to connect an mp3 player 2 a surround sound speaker system like

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1499%26item%3D576818224 5%26#ebayphotohosting

or do i need something more like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72406%26item%3D57677438 14%26#ebayphotohosting

thanks

Anonymous

I suggest the Sonic Impact amplifier. It's a very small ~10 watt digital stereo amplifier that runs on AA cells and has extremely good audio. It can be had for less than $30. Connect it to a couple of good little mini-monitors and you'll have a very nice little system. The amp even comes with a cable that will plug right into your iPod or personal CD player, etc. Radio Shack had some 2-way RCA mini-monitors in aluminum enclosures, with 4" woofers that are hard to beat for their sound quality. They have been discontinued but many RS stores still have some in stock for ~$20 each, down from $40. So, for under $70 you can have a little iPod amplified speaker set that will blow 99% of the ready-made, much more expensive, stuff out of the sea.

even_bigger_noob
Unregistered guest
Hi, i just bought a creative mp3 player and i was wondering if i could play it through the speakers on my CD/stereo system? All this talk of amps and cables has gone way over my head unfortunately. At the back of the stereo there are two connections labelled AUX IN ( a left and right) and one labelled MIX MIC. Are all the amplification-deeleys most likely already inside the stereo and i just need a particular cable, or am gonna need to buy a whole bunch of other crap? Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
buy a cable that converts two male RCA to one 1/8" mini plug. plug the rca into the corresponding conntection (by color) into the AUX IN and plug the mini into your mp3 player. most likely your system is a mini system and has its own amp in it. the reason amps came up in this discussion is because a cd player or any portable audio device lacks the power and right connections to play speakers. that is where an amp comes in.

even_bigger_noob
Unregistered guest
Yeah, just bought a set today and it works a charm. Works on my PC as well - BOOYEAH!!! no more dodgy PC speakers :-)

JKL
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to connect my Sandisk digital music player to the auxiliary plug in my car stereo? If so, what do I need equipment wise?

Silver Member

Post Number: 374
JKL, try the car audio forum. this is the home audio forum.

JKL
Unregistered guest
Okay, thanks. Well, I got this cable, an "audio dubbing cable", that can connect my MP3 to the aux in my car, now I'm wondering if I can use this cable to somehow play on a simple stereo (ie it just has a headphone jack). I don't think it's possible, but worth an ask.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 295
Does it just convert headphone to RCA? If it does, and your headunit has RCA aux inputs, then it should work flawlessly.

hari
Unregistered guest
JKL, did u get your car system sorted? if so how u do it? i got the same prob. i got a 1.5mm to RCA adapter but my head unit doesnt have auxillary inputs! im thinkin if i get an amp i could connect the RCA'S into the amp then possibly wire my existing speakers and sub to the amp?? i havnt got an amp so i dont know if it is possible to wire the speakers direct to the amp...coz they wired to the head unit at the mo..

Username: Longman2g

Indiana USA

Post Number: 1
for the ipod monster sells a thing called the icable for $29.99, i believe that is the 1/8 converter to RCA that you guys were talking about, i was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere to get it cheaper than $30

Anonymous

Hi, I have a slightly different question, and a complete technical ignorance, so I apologize in advance. I used to have my home theater in one rom, and it was moved into another room, leaving me with the left and right rear speakers mounted in the first room. Rather than taking them out, can I use them with my Ipod? I have a cable coming out of the wall with the two sets of speaker wire that look like copper horse tails (there's that ignorance). Can those be combined into a mini-plug? Or do they need to go into the back of a receiver? Thanks!

alhitchcock
Unregistered guest
I tried using my mp3 player to connect to amp via y connector. there is no sound. Do i have to have a certain rca voltage to work the amp?

Bush Mechanic
Unregistered guest
I had 2 sonny speakers from a garage sale and connect it to my portable cd player without an amp.
I opened the cd player and connect the sonny speakers to the same terminals of the cd player sharing them with the cds own speakers. RESULT-Worked like magic-sourround sound and good audible sound effects.

Bronze Member
Username: Fps_dean

Post Number: 34
You can try to wire speakers to your cd player, but you wont hear anything. I tried it when I was about 7 years old just to see if it would work, and of course it didn't.

Username: Electraglide92

my daughter just moved into a house with bose speakers wired thruout...
but she doesn't have a bose module.... can we purchase just the bose module...?
we can't use her stereo hooked directly to the bose speakers.....

new2wiringSpeakers2computers
Unregistered guest
I just bought 4 20Watt 8ohms ceiling speakers and want them to play off my itunes music on my computer. Any idea of what kind of amp will work with a PC?

Unregistered guest
Is it possible for an iPod to blow an amp connected by minijack to rca?

Unregistered guest
Hey all, i just conected my ipod to my guitar amp and i take it with me camping and sh1t. i usually crank the hell out of it and its sounds great, but is this gonna harm my ipod in any way?

Username: Dghosh03

KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL INDIA

Dear,
I've recently buy a PHILIPS MICRO THEATRE, DVD/FM/AM/TAPE. Now recording from CD to Tape is not as per satisfaction. i.e. recordings are ups and downs. When drum beat occur recording goes to down and then up until another drum beat. Therefore the whole recording goes ups and down. Can u help me to explain the reason.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have an iPod, and I want to listen to it in my room and instead of spending money on stuff from Best Buy or Circuit City I want to put some things together myself. I have an RCA shelf stereo system with two speakers, I did a basic test to see if it worked... I connected the red and black wires out of the speakers to a mini plug, everything exposed just simple crimping and it worked... no amp or anything, is there anything I need to look into or can I just clean up the wiring and use it like it is?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us