Sony STRDE895

Username: Colbytrio

Post Number: 8
Is the Sony STRDE895 a good receiver? I need something "mid-range" and silver.

I know Sony isn't well liked...but for the price is it worth buying?

I haven't bought a sub or center channel yet. I have 4 8" Cambridge In-Walls for my front and surround speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 187
The Cambridge Ambience 82s? If so, they are 8ohm and 89dB sensitive... like most bookshelves. They will need a little more power than the more "sensitiv" speakers. I don't know if you're thinking loud or not or what your intentions are. There's also the STR-DE995/S with a little more power... the one I had. (I did run into problems with it driving my 91dB Paradigm eclipses (88dB Anechoic).)

You may want to look at... Onkyo or H/K in that range. Just guessing. I think you already crossed off H/K.

Post Number: 9
geekboy,

Yes, I'm talking about the 82's. They sound AWESOME for 200 dollars. Have you heard them? Or anything about them?

Yeah...the HK's were my first choice...but damn that audio drop off durring HDTV viewing will be a pain in the butt.

I like the Onkyo 601S but I have been hearing mixed reviews. And it's pretty hard to find a silver one.

Now if I could find a silver Denon 2803 for under 500 bucks I would die!

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 188
Colby: I haven't heard any in-walls lately. Luckily, I'm single and had a 3,300 sqft. home built here in sunny Orlando Florida all for myself. Don't have to worry about SAF (spousal acceptance factor). <g>

See if you can't take a STR-DE995/S home for a test with your Cambridge Ambiences. You may like it. I don't recall if you said how large your room is? How far you are from the front speakers to your normal listening position? If it's a relatively small room (less than 15' x 15' x 9') this may be a non-issue?

My concern is that in multi-channel mode (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Prologic/II...) you may not get the punch you're looking for with the Sony (lower end line). Since your main speakers (and rears) are in the medium range of efficiency... I'd want to pair them with electronics that will give them what they need -- based on the factors of your room, etc. Then again, you'll probably direct the base cutoff frequency higher (80-100Hz) with those in-walls, so, it may be okay???

Post Number: 10
geekboy,

Thanks for the help by the way...
I think you're right. I was just trying to cut corners.

My family room is about 30' X 15' with vaulted ceilings. Pretty big and open.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us