Grills on subwoofers

Username: Se7en

Post Number: 2
can i leave them off the sub, i like the look of it off than on. do they make the sound better with the grill on or is it just for keeping it cleaner and safer?

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 94
there are some that say that having the grills on will make them sound better reason being that the engineers designed the speakers with the grills in mind so the filtering that they may do gives the intended sound. on the other hand some say that anything making an obstruction to the sound reaching your ears is bad so take them off if you can. if there are kids or petse around then grills on especially for the sub would be a good idea for protection. try both ways and see if you notice a difference. i personally don't have them on cause my speakers look cooler with them off.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Grills don't have any effect on the long wavelengths of a subwoofer. Grills are often removed from a speaker with a tweeter since the shorter wavelengths at high frequencies can be diminished by the material. Some grills will also cause reflection/refraction problems at the high frequencies. Again this is not a problem with a subwoofer.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

However:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/116964.html

JAW
Unregistered guest
Man, that's cold. Relevant, but cold.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us