Subwoofer cutting out

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC receiver (RX6032V) with a TV, able box, DVD/VCR combo attached. My sub woofer keeps cutting out even when I am one channel with the same person speaking (I mean there was not a commercial or music playing).

The indicator light keeps changing from red to green and green to red.

Why is this happening?

Bronze Member
Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 68
I would think that you have the Sub set to Auto so if there is no Bass it Cuts out, try swiching the Sub woofer to just on so its always on

Username: Canuckinapickle

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 7
What brand of Sub is it, and what model?

Unregistered guest
Hi:

I have a RX6032V Receiver but I am not sure of the exact specs for the sub (I took back to the shop for them to have a look at it and they said it needed a part. I have been using it only for a month.)

In the meantime I bought a athena P.5 300W sub and I am experiencing the same problem of cutting out.

I haven't told the repair shop yet but I am thinking that it is not the sub it might be the receiver. That is why I am seeking some help.

The athena sub that I am now using has a auto on/off feature but it must be built in. There is no switch to control it.

Also, the sub is cutting out even when there is no music or change in the sound. For example if a news achor on CNN is talking it would just cut in and out just like that.

Unregistered guest
Hi:

I have a RX6032V Receiver but I am not sure of the exact specs for the sub (I took back to the shop for them to have a look at it and they said it needed a part. I have been using it only for a month.)

In the meantime I bought a athena P.5 300W sub and I am experiencing the same problem of cutting out.

I haven't told the repair shop yet but I am thinking that it is not the sub it might be the receiver. That is why I am seeking some help.

The athena sub that I am now using has a auto on/off feature but it must be built in. There is no switch to control it.

Also, the sub is cutting out even when there is no music or change in the sound. For example if a news achor on CNN is talking it would just cut in and out just like that.

Bronze Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 11
If you are having the same problem on different subs your guess is probably right: it may not be the sub at all.

Check your cables -- maybe you have a bad/defective cable or connection. Failing that I'm betting on the Receiver too. But def. check out your cabling.

Unregistered guest
As a follow-up to :subwoofer not working"

Thanks for your suggestions. I am in the process of sending emails to JVC support. Since the system is still under warranty they are required to fix it, they have a repair shop here in my city that fixes their products. Even thought the problem appears to be with the receiver, I am waiting on the shop to finish the repair they claim they are doing with the sub so I can test it. I doubt that it will work since I tried a different sub on the receiver and the problem was still there.

If I test the sub and it still doesn't work then I will take the receiver in.

The support guy at JVC made a few suggestions and I am waiting on his explanation but in the meantime, do you know what these mean? The guy is suggesting that the problem may be caused by the following;

"there may not be a lot of low frequency information (30hz-150hz)"
"Crossover frequency may be set too hi"
"Front spks might be set to large (speakersettings)"
Thanks.

Bronze Member

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 20
Oh of course. I never thought of that. If the sub is set to auto-off if there is no signal to it it would turn off in those situations.

1) If on your receiver you have set your speakers to 'large' often then the receiver will send low frequencies to those speakers rather than the sub (for music etc at least -- I believe the movie sound track of the .1 FX channel still gets sent to the sub). Even if your speakers are 'large' perhaps try setting them to 'small' in the reciever just to see if that is the problem.

2) This is along the same lines as above: if there is no low frequency information then no signal will go to the subwoofer -- hence it would auto-off

3) Crossover frequency may be set to high: I think he means to low -- i.e. 30Hz or something. Then if you had a sub that was able to play 20Hz-150Hz it would actually only receive signal from 20-30Hz.

----
SO: Try setting your speakers to Small just to force the sub to pick up some extra signal. If you're main speakers are big don't leave it this way but it is a good way to see if it solves the problem with your sub. Set the X-Over somewhere around 100 for now too. That should be enough to send a constant signal with music or a movie to the sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 50
Yep, if you set the main front speakers to large, only the LFE signal is sent to the subwoofer and even not all DVD's contain the LFE signal. LFE signal is the Low Frequency Effect signal that will add more "effects" to the low frequency sound in the 5.1 movies to make dinosaurs' footsteps and explosions sound more excited. It is not the subwoofer signal, which is the low frequency signal cut off from other channels by bass management on the receiver. Setting the sattelites to small will send both LFE and subwoofer signals to the sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us