New Elite receiver keeps shutting down. Any advice?

Username: Gooch74

Post Number: 4
I have recently upgraded my A/V system from an Onkyo TX-DS555 and Polk sub/sat sytem to a Pioneer Elite 54TX and Monitor Audio Bronze Center (L/C/R), Bronze BFX, and HSU STF-2. One of the many reasons why I upgraded my system was because my old system would go into "protect mode" from time to time.

Well, I finally received everything this Monday had it setup and ready to go later that night. Once setup, I watched Star Wars Phantom Menace and did not have a problem. Everything sounded great as I could not believe what all I was missing with my older system. Tuesday night comes along and I watch U-571 and everything sounded great with no problems.

Last night I go to rent I Robot and around chapter 13 "Destroy the house" scene my receiver just shuts off. I turn it on to only have it turn off again. I am watching these movies around -15 to -19 volume level. I turn the receiver back on and set the volume to around -42 and it plays. I wanted to finish watching the movie, so I set it to -35 (thinking that would be OK) and it shuts off again. I switched off the "Protect Mode" and it still shut down around -35 volume. I finally had to just shut it down.

Can anyone here help me as to what the problem may be? Here is how I have it setup:
*HSU STF-2: Pase off, 80hz, and volume a little past half way.
*Elite 54TX: I used the MCACC for auto setup. I set the DVD/LD to digital. SB Mode is off (only have 5.1 system).

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am wondering if I might need new cables and wires as this seems to now be a re-occurring theme with this system and previous.

Post Number: 5
Thanks. I should have gone into a little more detail. I hooked up a new Belkin surge protector to my wall outlet and was running everything through this except the sub. I leave the sub in the "on" position and have it plugged into my receiver. The Belkin surge proctector has two lights. One shows that is working and one shows that the outlet it is in is grounded. The grounded light is not on for this outlet. However, it does work on another outlet on the other side of the room.

I also already had everything setup when watch the first two movies. I then plugged in the Belkin before watching the movie. It could be that some wires came loose will getting behind the equipment to plug in the Belkin or it may be a faulty outlet since the "ground" light is not on.

My old system only seems to be doing this when it was hooked up to this outlet.
Why would it only be doing this a levels around -35 or louder? Would that point more towards a problem with the outlet? Should I go to Home Depot and get a new wall outlet?

Thanks again. This is very helpful.

Username: Peterc

Try plugging the amp directly into a wall socket. The Belkin may be limiting the wattage to your amp. Don't know why it would though.

Username: Madgsf

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 1
Not sure if the outlet is the problem but it maybe a good place to start. Is this an older house by any chance where a ground wire was not used originally? My only other thoughts are, is the system well ventilated and are those speakers 6-8 Ohms? Sorry I am not familiar with the Monitor Audio stuff.

I purchased a Elite 54TX on 1/1/05 and have had no problems with it. I upgraded from a 1987 Yamaha AV-34! I never had any problems with that old thing either. I have watched I-Robot myself at about -15 it was impressive to me, no problems with shut downs ever.

If it matters I do have a Monster HTS 1000 for power conditioning which was also on my last system. And I have Polk RTi10s, CSi5 and TC60i surrounds and the free Polk sub.

Mark

Post Number: 6
The house is only 6 yrs old. Speakes are rated at 8 ohms. I looks to be ventilated. It is in a armoire with to wide and long vertical ventilation holes in it. I have 2.5" on each side for those vents. I have a dvd player on top, it has 1" long legs for ventilation if being stacked. It also does not go as deep as receiver (leaving 1/3 of top still clear).
Thanks.
I think I may try and new surge protect. This was a $50 protector from Home Depot. I may go to Best Buy and get a Monster or Belkin PureAV surge. I may need to also try and power conditioner.
Should I be looking for an isolated surge protecor? Not sure if the Belkin is. I have heard some people refer to a Isolated TrippLite?

Post Number: 6
The house is only 6 yrs old. Speakes are rated at 8 ohms. I looks to be ventilated. It is in a armoire with to wide and long vertical ventilation holes in it. I have 2.5" on each side for those vents. I have a dvd player on top, it has 1" long legs for ventilation if being stacked. It also does not go as deep as receiver (leaving 1/3 of top still clear).
Thanks.
I think I may try and new surge protect. This was a $50 protector from Home Depot. I may go to Best Buy and get a Monster or Belkin PureAV surge. I may need to also try and power conditioner.
Should I be looking for an isolated surge protecor? Not sure if the Belkin is. I have heard some people refer to a Isolated TrippLite?

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 2
Not sure about the TrippLite, honestly I bought the Monster before I really knew anything about conditioning, but I can't see how the surge protector would cause this problem. The outlet is suspect because you have two different systems with the same problem.

The Pioneer manual recommends 8 inches of ventilation above the receiver. I have a BDI TV stand that only has 2 inches above it BUT it's completely open on all sides. It gets warm when pushed hard but that's it.

I would try:
1) Running it off another outlet, just use an extension cord.
2) If it still shuts down, get it more ventilation, get it out of the cabinet.
3) Call Pioneer and see what they suggest.

Bronze Member
Username: Cory

Canada

Post Number: 63
when you have it pluged into the monster power center witch outlet do you have it in?

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3
Correction I have the HTS-1100 not the HTS-1000 as I stated earlier. I have the receiver plugged into the outlet labeled receiver.

Dallas, TX

One other thought, do you have anything plugged into the socket on the back of the receiver? Plugging something that draws a lot of current, like a sub, would be a big problem.

PLAN B
Unregistered guest
I have the same thing happening to me except I have a Kenwood VR-8070. But as my post says above, I can take the center channel out of the config and the receiver then doesn't shut off. I may need an amp for the center channel, even though the Kenwood troubleshooting guide says that it is a speaker cord shorting. (Checked all cables)

TPE
Unregistered guest
I would say it has about 99.99% nothing to do with your outlet. Is the outlet grounded or not??...Doesnt matter in this case, if not it just means that your surge protector will not work in that event. You have already narrowed it down to the center channel, so dont waste time looking for other problems, instead look at, if you hook another speaker up to the center channel does it shut down, yes, then look at the wire, connections, maybe something internal in unit. If the unit doesnt shut down then you know it is your speaker. As far as surge protection goes, if you want good protection, get a supressor put on your electrical panel. Most are rated higher than any Monster and cost is not much more, this will protect the entire home and not just one plug strip.

Username: Izub

Post Number: 7
Do NOT plug the sub into the amp. Plug it into the wall. That should do it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us