Narrowing new receiver

Username: Warnerkallus

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 1
I have been reading through all of your advice on receivers and feel pretty confident to have narrowed down some finalists. I have found deals on the internet nad some at retailers and could use your input on which is the best value. I am looking for a 6.1 Receiver for use with HT, about 75% music, and 25% video.

From your comments, I am looking at:
Harman Kardon AVR 230 $275
Denon AVR 1803 Receiver $275
PIONEER VSX-D914K $315
Pioneer VSX-D912K $300
NEW Harman Kardon AVR135 $275
Onkyo TX-SR502B $270

The room in which this will be installed is 15 x 25 with 10 foot ceilings. My company works with Bose, so for the time being I have their acoustimass 6 system, which I got for 80% off. I may upgrade the speakers, but the receiver is a first priority. I hope to keep the cost at or around 300.

My thanks to you all in advance.

edster922
Unregistered guest
The Onkyo 502 is closer to $200, and refurb is closer to $150 at ecost.com which is where I would look first, followed by jr.com

However for 75% music I'd skip Onkyo altogether and look at HK, Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer. For 75% HT Onkyo is fine.

At the $300 price range I'd personally just fork out an extra $100 for the Pioneer 1014. Or experiment with an all-digital amp like the Panasonic xr-50 or JVC RX-F10 for $200-300 from a place with a liberal return policy...I've heard people with $1000 and up receivers rave about these.

Yeah as for the Bose speakers I'd consider reselling them on eBay and getting much better stuff for the same or less money.

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 2
Interesting thought. They are cheaper. What are the downsides? I envision totally digital processors to produce poor sound, like CDs, kind of choppy and bright.

I did find the Pioneer 1014 for 350.

edster922
Unregistered guest
I only listened to the JVC FX10 at a friend's house and thought the clarity and openness was remarkable, though his Marantz 7200 receiver did have more of a "warm" sound---but both would be more than adequate IMO. However he did have Ascend 340 speakers and an audiophile-grade CD player, so that may have tipped the balance somewhat.

What I'd do is, buy the JVC or Panasonic from target.com since they have a very good return policy and you can just take it back to one of the stores for a refund instead of having to pay for return shipping. If you don't like them, then go ahead and order the 1014.

BTW, just curious, where'd you find the 1014 for $350?

edster922
Unregistered guest
I think there have been lots of discussion of the Panasonic on hometheatreforum.com and audiocircle.com forums, just register and do some searches there.

As I remember it, the feedback was about 80% raves and 20% grumbling.

The 1014 seems to be really amazing esp. for the money though.

TPE
Unregistered guest
For the money the HK is probably the bst in the line up. Pioneer and Oknyo have been known to hype up ratings. With Harmon making Revel, JBL, and Infinity - HK gets alot of tech from these sister co's. But if you are going to use a bose speaker set up then it doesnt matter if you spend $100 or $1000...nothing will make those sound good

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 3
TPE- It is on Price grabber. http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=3906109&search=pioneer+1 014

No doubt the Bose are garbage. I bought them becuase they were about 100 dollars with the disscount, and got me something until the budget improved. I figured to rpioritze nearest teh delivery system.
What do you recommend for entry level, budget conscious speakers? [I know this is a while new thread and all, but just give me a hint...]
I am going to check those reviews now...

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 4
ok...so I can get the Pioneer 1014 delivered for 380, or the JVC delivered for 240. I cannot find a store in the area which stocks either of these much less both. I am open to anyone's suggestions here if the extra money is worth the difference.

edster922
Unregistered guest
$140...for all the extra features of the Pioneer, I'd go for that and then focus on getting better speakers such as Ascends.

The most low-cost speakers I've ever heard of online though seem to be Fluance, you might want to check them out.

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 5
Primarily I am looking for sound, and then for features, but if you think the Pioneer has better sound for music than the JVC or Panasonic might, then it is a done deal.

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 6
Hey,
A big thanks to those of you who gave advice. I found a pioneer 1014 for 250 yesterday and bought it. I am listeinging to it now and am quite pleased. Thanks.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Good God, where'd you find a 1014 for 250??? (drooling)

Username: Arturixtl

Post Number: 1
Hi: big dilemna, got a smokin deal on a pioneer elite
vsx29tx 550.00 open box, but not the original remote (warm sound, but can't program speakers) new remote is 340.00 from pioneer..so should i hang on to receiver? or take it back still have 30 days and get either a Marantz 6300 for 388.00, an onkyo integra 6.4
for 522; or a Pioneer elite vsx 45 tx for 700 with full remote? it is for surround sound music in bedroom to power vandersteens, monitor audios and signet center(s). Any advice? leaning towards marantz but
again the pioneer was 2300 down to 550 (runs kinda of hot as well) the marantz and integra has 3 warranty.
thanks for any tips.
best

Boston, Ma Usa

Post Number: 7
I got it at Best Buy. They seemed to be trying to get rid of them.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Jesus, my local Best Buy has the 1014 for closer to $500! What city are you in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us