Purchasing a store demo model- mistake?

Silver Member
Username: Sinkdrain

Post Number: 110
I need to replace one of my front speakers and thy only sell them in pairs. At my local BestBuy the Athena speaker I need is being sold as an open box for a good price. I know for a fact they were the store demo speakers. My plan is to buy them at the cheap price and just use the one to replace the speaker defective speaker.

I dont know how tough speakers are. Is it a given that the speaker will be shot. I'd like to avoid having to pay a full price for an extra speaker i dont need but do not want to sacrifice sound quality either.

Is it safe to buy the open box speakers?

edster922
Unregistered guest
With BB's return policy which I think equally applies to open-box items, what could you have to lose?

In fact, a less ethical person in your shoes would simply buy the pair, switch out their defective speaker for one of the good open-box speaker, and return the pair to BB for a refund claiming that one of the speakers was defective. (Sometimes referred to as "The Jaguar Method.")

johnnyrocker
Unregistered guest
You'll know right away if there is anything wrong with the speakers. Speakers don't really wear out. They might get blown, or the cones or surrounds might deteriorate in 10-20 years, but playing them doesn't hurt them.

Many speakers are matched pairs, I'd use them that way.

I'd be a little careful of the "Jaguar" method. Most speakers have pair-serial numbers, how are you going to explain that? Could be more than a little embarasing.

Bronze Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 42
Why do you think they were selling display speakers in the first place? Personally I would never buy some demo speakers because you never know how much neglection they've had. (Poor underpowered amp which could have damaged the speakers in the first place in many ways). Which model are they exactly and how much did you pay for them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Athena As-B2 for a little over $200 from Abes of Maine. There is a strange vibration in the one speaker and it drives me nuts! To activate the warranty I have to send the speaker to them and let them decide if it was my fault. If they dont fix it I have to pay for shipping both ways. I am also responsible for any damages during the shipping. If the speakers were more expensive I would be more apt to do the warranty. So instead I just would rather get another one cheap. These demo speakers are selling for $100. I'm thinking that the speakers wouldnt have been played super loud for too long since it was in a store.

If I bought them- How could I tell if the speakers were blown?

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 298
Pretty cheap. Buy them and listen to one of them with your current good one. See if it blends well or if anything sticks out.

Speakers are pretty robust (mine are 31 years old). You'll hear a blown tweeter caused by clipping an amplifier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
are you able to describe the sound of a blown tweeter. Will the highs be absent? Will it be distortion-occasional/consistent.

...hmmm makes me wonder if thats the sound I hear in the speaker I'm looking to replace. I didnt think I played the system harder than it can go. I have an H/K 330 and never pushed it more than -15 on the volume.

The speaker I have sounds like a buzz that seems to happen on certain notes or frequencies- usually a lower note. I found it happens on the exact same spots on CDs.

Anyway thanks for your advice- I think I'll buy them and see if at least one of them will make a nice replacement.

Bronze Member
Username: Rd11

Post Number: 16
There is a simple reason why stores sell display speakers... Because they are the last pair available of a discontinued product. In fact, since there is a break-in period on Athena speakers you are actually buying a speaker that will sound better (that is unless there is damage due to mishandling the speakers). Listen to the speakers inside the store if possible. Crank them up and listen for vibration issues. if they sound good in the store, they'll sound good at home.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 306
That's good advice RJD!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us