Pioneer VSX-55TXi vs. H/K AVR7200

Unregistered guest
I'm searching for opinions regarding both of these receivers. I'm working to match a set of Monitor Bronzes (B4 - front, Bronze Center, FXi - rear) in an ackwardly shaped room. Seeing as I'm upgrading from a Sony STR DE575, everything sounds better. I've brought the 55TXi home, and it sounds fantastic. Problem is, I can't find any local B&M that is still carrying the AVR7200 so that I can audition it.

Being a good $500 difference in price about now, I figure I shouldn't just discount the 7200.

Any opinions, experiences, and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Irena

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 189
You have chosen two of the three best brands to match with your Monitor's.[Marantz is the other]. Both the 55 and 7200 are very powerful, mellow units that sound great. The main difference is the H/K lack of inputs [only 6] and the inclusion of the firewire connections on the Elite. You need to decide which one will best meet your future needs as far a inputs, features etc and choose that one. The Elite is more future proof than the H/K but both are very excellent sonically. Since you already have the Elite and like it if you can afford to keep it I think that's what I would do. Both are enormous improvements over that Sony as you already have found out. Good luck.

Unregistered guest
Thanks for your reply, Elitefan. I'm still struggling over this issue. Fry's Electronics out here in CA has a few AVR-7200s left in stock, but they're still charging $1799 for them, and won't even pricematch their own online retail outlet! I really do love the Elite, and yet.. I'm hardpressed to convince myself that the additional expediture is worth it.

I've read in other areas that there have been some quality issues with the HK receivers. Do you think that would be something I should also be concerned about?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 255
Irena:

As usual, therealelitefan is spot on. I think either receiver is a huge step up from your Sony and either is a great match for your speakers.

I saw the H/K 7200 on the One Call website for $788 (www.onecall.com). They are a great internet /mail order firm to deal with. Now I don't know what you paid for the 55TXi, but if there is a $500 difference between the PE and the H/K, it might be worth ordering to try it. If it doesn't work, I am sure you can return it (although there may be a restocking fee--check their website to see). Even if there is a restocking fee, it may be nominal enough to still try it.

Also, if you are in the SF BAy Area, check the local Cambridge Audio stores to see if they have any 7200s left.

Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 177
I hope you didn't pay more than $1,050 for the Pioneer Elite 55Txi. A number of places have it warrantied at that price and I have seen it as low as $988.

Both a excellent receivers. I would only get the 55txi if I had or planned to get the Pioneer Elite 47avi or the new 59avi dvd player. Then you have the direct i-link between the receiver and the dvd player. I mean, why pay for i-link if you aren't going to use it?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 195
At some point in the future we are all going to want to use firewire connectors and this probably will become a standard on all components in the near future. [sooner the better]. The prices mentioned above are mail order and cannot be expected to be matched by a local retailer who will provide more service than any mail order firm can or will do. I have bought several things mail order so I am not saying I am against this but we all need to keep in mind that we should think about our local dealers and what it would be like if they disappear. If the price is 10-15 percent higher at a local shop I urge that you buy it there.

Username: Sbull

Post Number: 1
Can't comment on the H/K, but I just purchased the 55TXi at a local dealer for $999. +tax, as well as the 47AVi. Have them connected through i-Link. I upgraded from a Rotel RSX-965 receiver and an el-cheapo DVD player, and I couldn't be happier. Plenty of clean power & wonderful channel separartion. Loud program material doesn't "wear" on me any more. The only receivers I auditioned that sounded better were 2-3x's more expensive, and for that price they should. I don't think you'd be disappointed w/ the 55.

Unregistered guest
Wow! I guess I totally overpaid for that receiver. Where can I find authorized dealers online? Are there any specific URLs that I could be pointed to?

Steven, did you get your receiver at an independant store or a chain?

Username: Sbull

Post Number: 5
Irena:
I purchased mine at a local, independant store in NY, upstate. I don't know of any chains that carry Elite, at least not in my area. There's a store on eBay that has a couple for $950. + 40. S/H, called Click2digital. I emailed them and they said they're an authorized Pioneer dealer and offer the two-year warranty, but I didn't confirm that. Item # is: 3076762691.
As Gregory said, the going price on-line is $950-1050. And as therealelitefan said, there's no substitute for buying locally from a reputable authorized dealer, even if it costs a little more. Your peace of mind is worth something, and they're giving you a venue to audition and compare products.
If my local dealer can do it, yours should be able to.

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Irena:

I know Kiefs will sell Pioneer Elite by mail order and they are an authorized dealer. Their website is www.kiefs.com. Get the phone number off the website and call them--then punch in extension 109 when prompted. That will get you to the store manager, Ed. He will give you a good price on a Pioneer Elite.

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
www.onecall.com has the 7200 for $789 brand new!!! If you can pricematch www.jandr.com (which they say they do), then you have free shipping too!!! shipping is about $47

otherwise, just ask onecall if they'll ship it for free if you buy it from them

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Post Number: 178
Irena---I am pretty sure that myself and others know of audio dealers just from being around a long time, but I and many still use a browser (google search) for the product. You can find a lot of places iuf you take the time. Often the warranty policy is posted and you cab always ask others here or at other sites if the dealer is reputable.

Unregistered guest
I don't see too many resolutions to questions, so I thought I'd post the conclusion I came to.

I have the AVR-7200 and the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi in my house, side by side, beast on beast. The best way I can describe my distinction between the two was that the H/K is very much on the side of brute strength, where the Pioneer is on the side of subtlety. I spent a few hours with back and forth madness, plugging, and unplugging the system, direct comparing each sequence (I think my OCD is official ;) ).

Chapter 9 in Gladiator really has given me a good benchmark for soundstage, and the Pioneer really had the audio transitions from hallucination to a stark reality down pat. There's a sequence with bell and chime effects as Maximus wakes from his dream; the 7200 sounded more like it was tinkling left to right, where as the Pioneer was bouncing all over the place. On Chapter 2, however, the 7200 had the absolute upper hand with the explosions in the battle. The power of the bass impact was unmatched.

Ultimately, my vote is with the Pioneer camp. I think it boiled down to the fact that the Pioneer was so precise, I could tell specifically when the sound engineers used FX that were compressed or not. It's kinda spooky, actually.

Thanks for everyone's help and input. Next Project: Making iLink a reality. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 60
Nice post Irena. That is the way to best to figure out what is best, to compare side by side. Let the best beast win.

Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 9
"Fry's Electronics out here in CA has a few AVR-7200s left in stock, but they're still charging $1799 for them, and won't even pricematch their own online retail outlet! "

The local Fry's stores have the 7200 for $899. Its in my local paper in the pullout Fry's ad each Friday. The Onecall deal seems like the best one around. I've never seen it under $800 before.

Unregistered guest
heh Fry's is at it again. I don't mind that a retail outlet has a bit of a markup over online prices (convenience costs money, right?) but to have it be 100% more than what another store has it, especially the same chain? Are you in the Bay Area? I bought this AVR-7200 from the Fry's in Woodland Hills, CA. Even though I'm returning it, I almost want to have them give me half my money back first, so they can choke on the instant loss of $900. So sad that they're ripping off their customers like that.

Unregistered guest
Just a little bit of humor..

I went to return the 7200 to Fry's of Woodland Hills, and was ready to give them a piece of my mind for price-gouging me (they charged me $1799!), and it turned out I didn't have to.

The service rep at the return counter took one look at the new "open box" price tag that printed out for the receiver, it read, "$765.49". "No no no, that can't be right. That has to be another receiver."

For shits and giggles, I had him price check the receiver brand new after he was done refunding me. The look on his face was absolutely priceless when the screen read, "$799". I think he cracked his jaw on the floor.

Moral of this story is: There's a well-cared for open box HK AVR-7200 at Fry's Woodland Hills for $765. ;) Everything (even the remote batteries!) is still inside.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Great story, Irena! Obviously, someone is not minding the store.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us