Speakerstands

Username: Oltronix

Post Number: 1
Hi! My first post so I'm sorry for all the faults it will contain.

I'm thinking of buying the B&W DM602 s3 speakers for my NAD C 320BEE amp and I'm wondering how much the speaker stands affect the sound quality. Thing is I don't care about the design that much, unless it's really bad. The store where I'll be buying the speakers have two stands that I'm considering:
Gale arc120* cost: 600sek (about 85usd)
VM ACOUSTICS Blackfoot 45: 1400sek (~200usd)
If I buy the cheaper stands I can afford to upgrade the connecter between pre out and the main in.

I am really new to this so I would appreciate any help I can get in this decision. And please excuse my poor English.

* http://www.gale.co.uk/arc/arc120.html

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 285
Andreas

Stands do make a difference since they are what you are using to sink energy from the speaker and stop it vibrating. The 602 is a large standmount, so it would make sense to have a heavier stand than a light one. However, this doesn't mean that it should be the heaviest stgand in existence! If the stand is too heavy it can make a speaker sound 'dead', so you're best advised by your dealer who will have appropriate stands that he knows work well with the speaker. I don't know the stands you mention so I can't help you with that choice.

Your English is almost perfect! No reason to excuse yourself.

Regards,
Frank.

edster922
Unregistered guest
I personally have grave doubts about high-end speaker stands and fancy wiring/connections really making any noticeable difference unless:

1. You are using particularly large, heavy speakers either set on "large" or without a subwoofer, AND listen to a lot of bass-heavy sources.

2. You buy truly rickety stands that stand the risk of falling over, esp. the adjustable height ones.

3. You are comparing audiophile grade wiring with 24 gauge lamp wiring (12 to 16 gauge wiring is fine even if it's a cheap generic).

4. You have EXTREMELY sensitive audiophile ears, or just like to think you do. : )

Good place to go for reasonably priced decent stands I found: accessories4less.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us