Anthem AVM 20 &Anthem PVA 7 HEY HAWK ???

Rosie
Unregistered guest
Anyone know anything about the ANTHEM AVM 20 Pre amp matched with ANTHEM PVA 7 multichannel amplifiers. I'm still shopping for a bargain that has a top quality punch for My Paradigm M7's. How would this set up work with my M7's? Also, what would I expect to pay for this Preamp and amplifier. Hey HAWK. I checked out the Nad T773 also the Nad T763. sounds awesome but still having fun shopping for other brands other than Nad. What is your opinion on the Anthem set up ??

Bronze Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 18
??? I know that you're going to spend about 4 times what the NAD 763 costs to get a new Anthem combo, and probably about 2 1/2 times what the NAD 773 costs.

If your budget can allot for that kind of money, quality separates will generally out-perform receivers -- particularly in amplifier performance. However, depending upon your room, system configuration (including speaker sensitivity), and listening demands, this added performance may or may not be meaningful to you.

While I've heard good things about the AVM 20, you can certainly pick up more affordable separates that may suit your needs, including the NAD 163/973 and Rotel 1066/1075 combos, which sell for half of what the Anthem combo sells for. The Outlaw combo sells for even less. You just have to decide whether the incremental gains in performance from separates are worth the extra money to you.

Rosie
Unregistered guest
Thanks Darryl,
I was looking at the T773. Awesome unit that it eh!!! I picked info on the anthem products but had no idea on price. Thats out of my budget. Thanks again. What should i pay for the Nad 163/973???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Glad to help. I think the T163 retails for around $1,500, while the T973 retails for around $2,000. Depending upon whom you buy it from, you can probably get 10-20% off those prices.

If I remember correctly, the T163 doesn't really offer that many more features or processing power than the 763 and 773 receivers. One cost-effective approach would be to buy a 763 or 773 for now, and then add a 973 or other amplifier later -- using your receiver as the preamplifier. This would allow you to step gradually into the performance of separates as your budget allows, yet have a receiver to use in the meantime. (Ideally, a true preamplifier should have slightly lower noise levels than a receiver used as a preamplifier, but the differences seem to be negligible for many people.)

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 238
Rosie:

I really like the Anthem set--I believe their suggested price is about $4K and the best price I have received is $3500 for the pair--they sound very sweet. I have been a big Anthem fan for some time now. However, I recently heard a direct comparison of the Anthems against the new NAD separates and I have to give the edge to the NADs. The Anthem amp is only about 105 wpc and the NAD is 140 wpc and sounds like much more (probably because of the high dynamic headroom). The NADs are just a bit warmer and much more dynamic--I was knocked out by the sound. I have priced the NAD separates for $2700 from Kief's (www.kiefs.com), and although that is more than the Outlaw combo, I would definitely get the NAD pair over either the Outlaw or the Anthems if I had the money. The new NAD pre/pro is one of the best I have seen at any price, short of those really high end models with the LCD screen that start at $4K (Parasound Halo, etc.).

I haven't seen the new 773 yet, so Darryl may well be right that it offers the same features, but that 163 pre/pro is really sweet!

Enjoy your HT shopping--it is great fun!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You know, if you listen primarily to music (I think you said something like 70%) and want "separates" performance on a budget, there is another option to consider. You could always buy a 763 (or even 753) and a stereo amp.

For instance, you could pick up the NAD T753 receiver for around $850, and the NAD C270 120x2 amplifier for around $500. Use the C270 amp to power your front mains, which should sound great for 2-channel music, and configure the internal amps of the T573 to power your center and surrounds (or even a second zone). Alternatively, you could use the internal amps of the T753 to power all of your speakers, and then bi-amp your front mains with the C270 if your speakers allow this -- though I honestly think this would be overkill unless you have a large room or speakers with low sensitivity.

This would give you near-separates performance with a great deal of flexibility for about the same money you would spend on just a preamplifier.

Rosie
Unregistered guest
Thanks alot Hawk and Darrel. Lots of good ways to go. I know one thing for sure. The T773 & Paradigm M7's really sound awesome. I listened to them last weekend. Only thing that turned me off was the $2500 price tag. I can buy the T762 for 1300.
Is that the older version of the T763. Are there any changes from the 762 & 763 ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us