Home Theater vs. Stereo Receivers

Username: Hattemann

Post Number: 1
Hi all. I have a dated question that I need help answering. Is there a signficant difference in cost or quality between Home Theater and old school stereo receivers? I don't own a TV (let alone a DVD player) but I appreciate high quality rendering of my music. If I go old school can I buy higher quality for similar cost in Home Theater? I searched past threads and didn't find a thread that answered this question. I fear this question was settled 15 years ago.

Bronze Member
Username: Dave_h

Post Number: 16
Based on my limited experience, the older (last 10 years) Hi-Fi Stereo speakers should work fine for as part of a surround sound system. I would get similar brand speakers to complete the surround system. Also a surround sound system will play music fine. One advantage of the older speakers over the home theater sets is that the older speakers are generally larger and will probably have superior base sounds.

Post Number: 2
Thanks David. So my my question should be should I go with a NAD c740 receiver and sink the saved coin into better speakers, or should I invest in a NAD T752/753 and get a subwoofer (I will be playing music exclusively)?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 253
Hugo:

Over the past year, I came to the conclusion that I needed a separate system for listening to music as my family hijacks my HT receiver for TV and DVD watching. So I have spent a lot of time listening to stereo receivers and amps. Let me make a few observations.

1. Generally speaking, stereo receivers suck. It is clear that the audio giants, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, et al., have forsaken stereo to concentrate on HT receivers, which is where the money is. The stereo gear for the most part, is relegated to making the cheapest product possible. Forget their power ratings, too. My buddy has the Denon 395 receiver rated at 80 or 90 wpc and there is no way it has that much real power. It sounds on par with my 20 year old Yamaha CR-240, which is 30 wpc. The Onkyos are the same way--no real dynamic capability, at all. I am convinced that the stereo receivers are being designed by summer interns, rather than qualified audio engineers. They all sound flat and two dimensional. As I said, they suck.

2. There are a few exceptions:

a. Rotel RX-1050 stereo receiver ($799)-Rotel has not forsaken two channel sound and I have one of these on a home test. It took a couple of day to run it in to get the sound to open up, but it has opened up and is quite good. 100 wpc x 2. Recommended.

b. NAD C740 (street price ~$389): This is a very musical receiver and I believe will fulfill your needs, provided you have appropriately matched speakers. You need something reasonably efficient in an appropriately sized room. Recommended. BTW, how big is our room? What speakers do you have?

3. Integrated amps. Their are several very good brands of integrated amps that have replaced the stereo receiver in the hearts of audiophiles seeking good two channel sound. NAD has a new line of integrateds out that are unbelieveably good. Their least expensive, the C320bee, is already taking on legendary status and can be purchased for only $319 (www.kiefs.com). Their bigger amps also include the C352 and the C372, which have all received glowing reviews. One real bargain is the older C370, which is 120 wpc and can be purchased on close-out from Saurday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com) for only $449. That is a stunning price for such a great amp. Other good integrated amps come from Cambridge Audio, Arcam, and Rega

4. HT receiver: For two channel listening, I don't believe you need anything more than an NAD T743, which you can get from Kiefs for $559. Rated at 50wpc x 5, it does more like 70 wpc into 2 channels, and with a dynamic headroom of closer to 90-95 wpc when driving only two speakers in stereo, so it will have plenty of power. You could go to the 752/753, but it wouldn't be necessary unless you have very inefficient speakers in a large room.

Post Number: 3
Hawk, Thank you for this great feedback. A friend has a 15 yr old NAD amp that still thrills him. Your recommendation and the many positive threads on NAD equipment here incline me to audition both the C740 and the C320bee amp with a tuner. I am also updating my speakers from authentic Sony litterboxes to some bookshelf speakers in the B&W DM303 class (heard those three weeks ago, I like). The two rooms I intend to place speakers in are 19'x12' and 15'x11', so I do not need a world of power. If I go the C740 receiver route, I can upgrade the speakers to something like the DM601s.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 264
Hugo:

Excellent choice on the speakers. I really like the DM303s, which I actually prefer to the more expensive 600s.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us