Suggestions for improving choral music?

Username: Classical

Los Angeles

Post Number: 7
I currently have a H\K AVR 325 receiver with Polk RTi4 and 6 speakers. Most of my music sounds GREAT running from an M-Audio sound card on my computer using a single setting on my graphic equalizer. Not so for choral music. Here I find myself always having to readjust the midrange frequencies to get different voice tones to sound OK.

Can anybody relate to this? Perhaps suggest speakers that are better for choral music listening? Anything else I might want to explore to improve the sound of choral music?

My room is small and carpeted, and I never play my music very loud.

One thing I did already discover is that turning on the "Bass Management" on my M-Audio sound card greatly improves the midrange performance of my system, but I think the different tones in choral music could benefit a lot more with some additional changes.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2423
I have only one suggestion

http://www.magnepan.com/the_offer.php

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Choral works are one of the most difficult to get correct. Often the problem is in the recording. If you have a good recording I'm afraid the only answer for you is to improve your system. You're correct that your present system can sound good on a wide range of music. But it is a budget system. The amplifier can only do so much when music becomes dense and complex. The speakers are voiced to something other than choral works. Quite possibly the "other" stuff where you find they do well.

To get an idea of how difficult it is to reproduce choral works, take a few recordings to a high end shop and give a listen to what they have set up.

If you need the clarity of the music right now, you will probably find a good pair of headphones and a headphone amplifier to be more affordable.

Los Angeles

Post Number: 10
J. Vigne

Funny you mentioned headphones! Yes, I just bought a pair of Grado headpones that sound GREAT with choral music.

Berny

Never heard of Magnepans till you just mentioned them, but I'll definitely check them out.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Improve choral music? Hell, I'd be happy if someone would just make it not suck so much... ;)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Intelligence runs amuck.

Anonymous

I think it's spelled 'amok.'

-anon.

Bronze Member

Los Angeles

Post Number: 11
I ordered a set of the MMG (Magnapan) today and I cannot wait to hear what they sound like. When I first saw them on the Magnapan web site I thought: No way! I became even more skeptical learning that they were 4 ohms, but they appear to have a lot to offer someone like me, and I think my H\K receiver will drive them OK with moderate volume.

Hey Anonymous: Trust me when I say I know where you're coming from, and it was not too long ago that I felt the same way. Perhaps your musical taste could use a boost, but in any event, we know your poor attitude certainly could. Good luck!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

"I think it's spelled 'amok."

Check your dictionary, either is an acceptable spelling.

Anonymous

That should read, "Check your dictionary; either is an acceptable spelling."

Semi-colon, not comma.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

You don't downgrade for punctuation. I still get the "A".

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us