Will this mad phonostaging plan work?

Silver Member
Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 148
Can I pre-amp a TT by connecting it to the phono stage of an amp and sending the pre-amped signal through into the phono input of another amp which is not equiped with a phono-stage. Here, I propose to use the pre-out connection on the one with the built-in stage to the phono input of the one withouth the stage?

So:
TT into --> Active phono stage of amp 1, then from --> amp 1's pre-out, into --> passive phono input of amp 2 --> amp 2 then powers the speakers.

Hope all that makes sense.

Before anyone asks, I do have a good reason for not simply using the amp with the phono-stage on it's own as the mainstay of the sytem.

Any advice here would be most appreciated,

V

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

You can do what you are proposing. I would suggest you make one adjustment to you hook up. Instead of taking the signal out of the amplifer with the phono section from the pre out, take it from the tape out. Two reasons can be given for this as the preferrable connection. First, it eliminates the number of places the volume can be altered. If anyone else has access to your system you can go crazy trying to figure out why your system isn't working until you notice the volume has been changed when someone else listened or cleaned the room. Secondly, it gives the correct impedance and voltage match between input and output. By using the pre out, you have the potential for a mismatch that changes as the volume control is raised and lowered on the unit with the phono input. Even though you will be setting the volume to one level and hopefully leaving it in that position, the spot you pick may not be the best suited to the input impedance and voltage needs of the other amp. Most pre amp outs do have output buffers that will minimize the effects of this changing resistance from the volume control, but, why not just do it the correct way instead. If nothing else, it assures the voltages are correct. John A. has such an arrangement and has tried both set ups. If he is reading, he may wish to comment.

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 151
Thankyou, J.

Ah - now I think the pre-outs on this particular model are not affected by the volume/tone controls; but I see what you mean there. And the tape out is probably the safest route, so I'll try it both ways carefully and see.

As to doing it the 'correct way' - I intend to at some point. Temporary staging allows me to try the amp out on the other sources, to see if it's right for the downstairs situation, without losing the turntable for a week. If I find I like it as the living room system, then I'll simply go out and buy a proper phono-preamp for it.

Regards,

V

Silver Member

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 152
I'm just annoyed at 6 ohm impedance becoming more popular. If that amp was capable of working with a 4 ohm speaker, then all my problems could have been avoided!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us