Orb Audio vs. others in price point

Unregistered guest
Hi All,
Quick question about the Orb Audio systems.
I'm looking for a nice 2 channel music system. I listen to lots of different music including Electronic, Rock, Pop, Classical, and everything in between.
I've read some rave reviews about the Orb systems, and I really like the looks.
However, I got to thinking. For an Orb 2.1 system the price is about $630. I paid about $400 for my set of big loud floorstanding Yamaha NS-200XT's. While the Yamaha's are not exactly hi-fi (or even mid-fi) speakers, I thought they were a good deal when I got them.
Everybody is compairing the Orbs to other small Sub/Sat setups, but I want to know how they compair to floorstanding models (or even bookshelf models) in the same $600-$650/pair price range. There are some decent speakers from Polk, Infinity, Athena, and probably others I'm not aware off in that price range.
Just how big do these small speakers sound.

I really like the looks and the idea of these Orbs. I'm very seriously considering trying them out, but thought I'd get some opinions first. I've been very pleased with the Cambridge Soundworks sub/sat system I have, so I don't have a problem with that type of setup. Just thinking about other possibilities.

Thank you for your time.

Varit
Unregistered guest
They sound really big b/c of the great sub. My friends think they are better than the much bigger speakers they replaced (5 foot tall Klipsch) and they are obviously much smaller than that. They are really great speakers for music, which is what I listen to most these days. I'm sure there are plenty of floorstanders that are bigger/louder, but you get a certain clarity with the Orbs, and tightness of the bass, that I just didn't have before.

Username: Erik_barber

Post Number: 1
Thanks Varit.

Which system do you have? I'm trying to decide between the Classic One and the Classic Two.
Do you know if the extra orb on each side makes much of a difference?

I'm looking for a step up in quality not quantity of music. I'm sure just about anything will be better than the Yamaha's, I'm just trying to find the best speaker system for the price.

Thanks

Varit
Unregistered guest
I have Mod2 in the front and Mod1 in the rear. If your room isn't that big, you might be fine with the Mod1. They have amazing accuracy and detail. The Mod2 are definitely quite a bit louder, and only $110 more, so it's a touch call. Especially since the Mod1 can still play louder than you can possibly want them to. These guys are real easy to deal with though...get either system and if you want the other they will take care of you w/o hassles.

Username: Soks3d

New Orleans, La. United States

Post Number: 4
Eric. I have Mod 2 in the front and center and mod 1 in the back. These things do really go loud in all channel stereo or 5.1. But I don't know how they would be with just stereo coming from the front. I have always had 4 channel, even in the 70's, I just like that better.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 44
I listen to the Orb Mod2 in 2 channel stereo mode all the time. I'm extremely pleased with how full they sound, and if you close your eyes, you'd never believe you were hearing two small speakers and a sub. They have the coherency that most other similar systems lack, and a rich sound that always impresses me.

Username: Macharya

Post Number: 1
This is interesting. I recently bought the Orb Mod2 (5.1) including the sub. I am on the lookout for a receiver. Curious what others are using...I am considering the Denon 1905 or 2105...or (just to try out) Outlaw's 950 preprocess/ 7100 amp. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 46
I don't think you need a lot of power w/ the Orbs, but if you can get a receiver that can deliver that extra detail and clarity, the Orbs will sing. I have a Pioneer 1014 and am very happy with it. I'm sure the Denons sound great, too, and I can only imagine what the Orbs would sound like powered by the Outlaw system. Please let us know what they sound like if you go that route...I've been tempted to join my online speakers to an online amp and have just been a little too cheap.

Username: Erik_barber

Grand Rapids, MI USA

Post Number: 3
Hey folks, thanks for your help on this. Just ordered my Orbs today. Decided to go Classic One for now, can always change to Mod2 if I want.

I got a couple of recommendations from Orb for a new reciever if I decide to go Home Theater with them.
The Onkyo TX-SR502 and 602 came strongly recommended. They also recommended the Pioneer 1014.
Like Monologue said, they don't need much power so find the highest quality amp you can buy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us