AVR midpriced receiver for paradigm speakers

Username: Tyro

Meridian, Ms

Post Number: 1
I plan to buy 7.1 speaker setup with paradigm spk(in wall rear/cc370/monitor5,7,phantom??) for large open floor plan (movies/tv/front/dvr/dvd rec/laptop hookup/ projector/etc). I'm leaning toward pioneer vsx1014k for 7.1/tsx/mcacc. Looking for best bang for buck. Is pioneer really bad with paradigm? Anything better in price range ($379 shipped) - can pay another $100 if significant benefit. Does THX matter?

Scott

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 235
Pioneer tends to be more laid back as does Paradigm. Depending on how you like it to sound, you may want to pair the Paradigms with a more detailed receiver.

Denon, NAD, Yamaha may be a better match than Pioneer.

THX is basically a test to measure equipment against a minimum standard such that THX certification guarantees good performance.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1047
Even though I am a huge Elite fan I would not pair one with Paradigm's. Look at the Yamaha 1500 if you can afford it or even the 750.

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 47
I am not trying to cause trouble here but I can!t understand something. I keep seeing reference to Denon being bright and Elite being warmer but when I listen and compare Denon has rolled off highs and laid back sound while Elite has extended highs and a more forward presentation
Three different employees at the two different stores I listened at agreed that the highs were higher on the Elite. I asked for their comments first to see if I was missing something. I can!t come away from the listening sessions I had that now ended up being with different cds and a good amount of time spent (today)listening back and forth and call the Denon bright.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1048
Obviously I completely disagree. There is no way that Denon is warmer or has rolled off highs more that a Elite. I have owned both and it's no contest on a warmth scale. Elite's do not have a forward presentation compared with Denon or any other brand I have heard. You and the guys you refer to would be a rather small group in your opinion. I love my Elite 45 and liked my Denon 2802 very much and it was not overly bright but was much more forward than the Elite and thinner. Still a very nice receiver. The Denon 3803 I had was very different and absolutely horrible. Sibilance beyond belief. Maybe it's not wise to over generalize this stuff? All I can tell you is the Elite I own is exactly what I want; warm, dynamic, very powerful and the best,most natural sounding voices you can imagine. All we as consumers can do is just what you did and audition as much and well as possible and buy what sounds best regardless of the brand.[except Sony and Bose!]

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 213
It depends what you are looking for in your sound presentation. Remember that receivers, just like headphones will sound dramatically different when playing different types of music. How the receiver presents classical or jazz or rock will vary. Making blanket statements about any receiver's ability to reproduce sound can be dangerous, as CB in the above post describes.

Many would argue that the Sony ES5000/9000 receiver sounds much better than the Pioneer Elite line for the increased soundstage. Some people prefer warm sound, others neutral or cool.

Like Elitefan, I prefer a slightly warm receiver paired with a very detailed speaker.

Buy what sounds good to you, and audition as many setups as you can, with the type of music you listen to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
As I said in my earlier post I tried different cds meaning different types of music. Maybe the 2 different VSX54TX Elite receivers I heard were defective but they did not come anywhere near close to having rolled off highs. Maybe I should go somewhere else and try another one.

Meridian, Ms

Post Number: 2
I am looking for a receiver that can do movies, cds, play from Direct TV DVR, connect with laptop, etc - also want it to fill a large/open floorplan with 7.1 and have autoadjust like mcacc. I'm trying to do this on a reasonable budget, though I can afford high end. I appreciate good sound, but not looking to win a contest. The RXV750 is $433 to door and VSX1014tx-k is $379 to door. The former lacks THX (important?)and may be more expensive to mate to a matching disc player with less options than pioneer offers. Is Yamaha signigicantly better to use with paradigms (probable monitor 5/7 vs espirit and PDR12?) Is there a comparable receiver that does all this in the price-range that is significantly better? (Onkyo sr602 - $357 85X6W and Kenwood VR8070 $319 - not sure has mcacc-like feature?)

Truely, Thanks for all the informed input
Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 36
randall,
the yammie looks like it is the best bet for you. I have paradigms and they do sound really good with yamaha. the 750 has YPAO which is like the mcacc of pioneer. The yammie is just a better overall match with paradigm then the pioneers are. I currently have a kenwood, and it does the job but will be replaced as soon as i get some money, so i would not get a kenwood.

Meridian, Ms

Post Number: 3
Pioneer VSX1014tx $379
Yamaha rxv750 $448 100w
Yamaha rxv1500 $557 adds THX, 120W

The 1500 20w difference isn't big, is the THX worth something (signif feature?)if I'm watching movies on projection in large room with 7.1?
If not I'll go with 750 - any opinions??
Scott

Silver Member
Username: Bleustar

Pensacola, Florida

Post Number: 214
The 120 wpc is not all channels driven. This is not comparable to 120wpc high current output of say HK or NAD. I would be all for getting the most power you can afford if your going with the Yamaha, especially if you are using this system in a large room. If you rarely listen to anything loud the 750 would probably do you fine. If you do like your music or movies louder at times, go for the larger 1500. Remember, some receivers sound very "unmusical" when they are pressed toward the wattage limit.

Meridian, Ms

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I think I'll just shell out and go yamaha. I just noted there are many other Yamaha's out there ie. HTR-5760 with 95WX7, hi-current, YPAO, easier hookup with mult components?, and only about $315 to door. Is this an inferior quality deck? or does it just have no THX and less power?

Username: Alalk3

Freedom, NH USA

I have Paradym 6.1, towers up front bookshelves in back, 12" sub. I was running 5.1 w/ bottom of line Integra reciever $600. 70 honest watts per channell, all channels driven 20/20 at 8 ohms. I was so disapointed. Wooden, no, mechanical sound, damn near unintelligible dialog. Made lateral move to Marantz 5400 and fell in love. Honest 90 watts (plenty of power, and warm sound w/ terrific treble. Bass management requires careful adjustment, but when you got it, you got it. Good friend tipped me off, followed by mag review, best in class. But as someone else pointed out, it is an individual decision. The best reciever for you should be decided by your ears.

Freedom, NH USA

I have Paradym 6.1, towers up front bookshelves in back, 12" sub. I was running 5.1 w/ bottom of line Integra reciever $600. 70 honest watts per channell, all channels driven 20/20 at 8 ohms. I was so disapointed. Wooden, no, mechanical sound, damn near unintelligible dialog. Made lateral move to Marantz 5400 and fell in love. Honest 90 watts (plenty of power, and warm sound w/ terrific treble. Bass management requires careful adjustment, but when you got it, you got it. Good friend tipped me off, followed by mag review, best in class. But as someone else pointed out, it is an individual decision. The best reciever for you should be decided by your ears.

Freedom, NH USA

Post Number: 3
sorry about double post

Meridian, Ms

Post Number: 7
My paradigm dealer has a good deal on the Marantz 5400 - I believe its similar in price to the Yamaha 750. I'll listen to it when I check out my speakers tommorrow (hopefully). I don't think it has mcacc-like feature (auto-adjust for all 7/speaker for acoustic optimization). Also, I think I want THX though I'm not sure how important this is.

This site is great - thanks for the help
Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 88
For Paradigm speakers, I would advise against the Yamaha HTR series and recommend the the RX seires. The RX-v1500 is a steal at $799 and you may be able to find the RX-V1400 at closeout prices. Also, the Denon 2805 or 3805 would be good choices.

CB:

I have not heard the Pioneer Elite, but all the reviews I have read describe it as slightly warm and a little laid back. Conversely, I have spent a lot of time with the Denon 2805 and own the Denon 3805 and the highs are not rolled off.
The highs on the 3805 are bright, but in a good way, smooth and well defined and not harsh. I would describe what I hear with the Denon as being very neutral across the board.

Meridian, Ms

Post Number: 9
I'm likely to go with the Yamaha rxv1500 ($524 to door online). I hope I can run everything listed into it with digital line to my projector/fp (still researching type). I was surprised to find that there is no 7.1 source material - may just stick with 5.1 setup and wire 6/7 channel above ceiling and leave it. I just got my Paradigm Monitor 7 with cc270 and PDR12 sub (have in-wall paradigm 250s for rear). Thanks for all the help.
Scott

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
My comments were about a comparison between the Denon AVR3805 and Pioneer Elite VSX54TX and when I compare the 2 that is what I hear compared to the other. Different people in the room at the same time on different occasions heard the same. If someone wants to say we would be in the minority they are entitled to their opinion. However I think if people are going to state opinions about this they should compare both exact models against each other and not comment that 3 or 4 models ago such as the Denon 2802 and the Elite 45TX sound exactly the same as these and come to a conclusion based on that. I have nothing against people having their own opinions and likes and buying what sounds good to them.

As far as reviews go Denon 3805 is usually known for being laid back and slightly rolled off highs which is what I heard compared to the Elite. Maybe if I compared it to something else it would be different. I punch in VSX54TX on the top of the page and don!t see any reviews for it. It is one thing to prefer bright or warm sound but when you are comparing two receivers it is obvious when one has a more pronounced midrange and higher highs in my opinion.

Needs New Sound
Unregistered guest
I could use a hand.. The time has come for me to upgrade my old system (Dynaco A35 speakers and Yamaha AX-550 Amp).. I like the warm sound that this system gives and would lke to duplicate it with a system that I can hook the TV into to give nice sound to the TV, Smooth Jazz and light rock .. Theater sound is a possibility but not a necessity.. I have been looking at Paradigm speakers.. I like the sound of the Titans.. I have even gone so far as to try out a Pioneer VSX D814 with a Paradigm Cinema 70 system but it is just to bright a sound for my taste.. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated..
Thanks in advance.. Chris..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us