Nad Receivers

Duke
Unregistered guest
I am looking to purchase a receiver, and have narrowed it down to 543 or 573 Nad. There is no dealer available where I live. Is there a big gap in sound and features between these two? If so what are they ? Also, any suggestions as to where to purchase Nad?

Rosei
Unregistered guest
Hi Duke, Where do you live?

Sam Of Chicago
Unregistered guest
Duke,

Dude, no one on this BBService has the ability to guess where you live.....lolol !!
If you live in or around Chicago, Saturday Audio would be the best place to go for a NAD. Let all us know where you are located so that someone might provide info. Ask HAWK about the similarities and differences between NAD 543 and 573. He might know them well. NAD is the best choice.
In the end call the dealer, ask for his best price BUT, then land into his store and you may get a better price. Most dealers won't talk 'best offers' over the phone for whatever reason!!

Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 5
I assume that you're really asking about the NAD 743 and 753, not 543 and 573 (which are not NAD receivers). The 753 adds more power, a rear channel (for 6.1), and zone 2 output. If you don't have a dealer in your area, you could always order from a site like Saturday Audio. They're an authorized dealer, offer good prices, and generally provide good service.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Post Number: 170
Duke:

The 743 and 753 are excellent choices for a receiver. I personally am replacing my Denon 3803 with an NAD 753 (should be here tomorrow, UPS willing).

There are several very good authorized dealers that you can order an NAD receiver from and have it fully warranted by the manufacturer. Again, I don't know where you are, but Spearit Sound in Boston is very good, Saturday Audio Exchange is in Chicago and they are very good as well. I ordered mine from Kiefs in Lawrence, KS (near Kansas City)--super people who provide excellent service. There is also DMC Electronics in the West Los Angeles area and YAWA, which is in the south Los Angeles area--I recommend them both. If you want web addresses, just post your question here and I will provide them.

Good luck!

Username: Castolfo

Post Number: 2
The 753 has several advantages over the 743 (and you can hear them).. there's more power and the power is stable.. add 6.1 and 7.1 channel support on the 753 and the additional ambience settings and decodings.. my decision on the 753 came about because every input had an svideo in and the monitor channel (4?) allows me to monitor on the tele as well as the projector. (but... with either, you get a remote that is a light year ahead of the previous generation's remotes)

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 169
The NAD web site lists dealers and distributors. Hawk, good luck with T753.

Post Number: 6
Hawk, I'm looking at picking up either the 753 or 763. Please let us know what you think of your 753 once you get it hooked up. I've heard some complaints related to hum and such, but I'm hoping they were just flukes.

stevesmith
Unregistered guest
I just got my 773. It's pretty great except it seems I have to turn it up a good ways (around -15db or so) in order to get decent volume. The crappy Yamaha I just replaced only had to go a quarter or third of it's volume to get decent levels. Same speakers for both units. B&W 302's and 305's It could due to speaker efficiency (sp?) but I don't think so. Any of you with NAD receivers have any thoughts? Thanks!

Post Number: 7
Steve, I would say that it's just a difference in how the volume levels are calibrated. Your NAD probably comes set to produce something close to 75 or 80 dB (a common reference level) with typical speakers when the volume is at 0 dB. The 0 dB volume setting also usually requires rotating the volume knob a ways. Plus the volume level may ramp up differently with the NAD than with the Yamaha -- logarithmically instead of linearly, for instance. If the NAD is rated at (or even close to) the same power as the Yamaha, I am quite certain that it will deliver more power than the Yamaha -- particularly under dynamic conditions.

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 55
Steve,I also replaced my Yamaha receiver with my present NAD T752 and found the same thing, sound wise there is no comparison, the NAD has a much fuller and more detailed delivery. And like you I also found with my Paradigm Studio 20v3's I had to turn the NAD higher then expected but it's not due to less power but to the way the volume control is measured now.. although if I get it up to -15db it is very very loud.. I found in my case -35 to -28 is reasonable and when I'm alone and want to crank it up -18 is tops... I've had my NAD since November and sometime in December read an article about this, can't remember where I read it but it did put me at ease... Like you I worried I was pushing the receiver too hard.. Don't sweat it, after a couple weeks you will forget you old way of thinking lol... good luck..

Interesting post on this subject:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/10423.html

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 170
Here is another thread on gain (volume) control position and dB values:

Home Audio: Receivers: Archive through December 29, 2003: NAD T763 gain / line-in question

Steve, there is nothing to worry about. You cannot tell the power from the dB value on the display: it is relative - add 10 dB and the perceived volume of sound doubles. The only simple guide to power delivery without test instruments is the running temperature i.e. how hot the receiver gets.

FWIW I get clear high volumes with no sweat on my T760 (5 x 60 W) typically with +8 dB on Dolby Digital, maybe +6 dB with DTS, +4 dB with VHS tapes in EARS mode, and I often play CDs at +10 dB. I never hear distortion. Everything depends on the amplitude of the signal going on. For LPs I usually have a +10 dB setting on the receiver with a stereo pre-amp volume control at about 2 o'clock.

I have never heard clipping or other distortion, and I can just hear a little hum with no signal at +18 dB. This is OK.

With your T773 you have loads of headroom. It is the quality of sound that counts. It does no harm to really rack it up and explore the limits, ocassionally. You will find you do not need to approach anywhere near the limits for normal listening. If you are really worried about possible speaker damage when letting it rip, just turn on "soft clipping" (I always have mine off; it never clips).

If you still have the Yamaha you could make the comparison of where the ceiling really is. Having a low gain setting for reasonable volume means nothing if it goes into distortion at 12 o'clock.

Username: Castolfo

Post Number: 3
Duke, dude! if you live in Canada (GTA), there's only one shop to even consider.. Bay Bloor Radio in toronto.. from a service pt of view, these guys are unmatched in Canada.

Duke
Unregistered guest
Sorry I did mean 743 & 753 NAD receivers. I live in Rural Northcentral Kansas. Lawrence would be a resonable drive. I am leaning towards the 753, Hawk do you mind telling me what you paid at Keifs. Thanks for the info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Duke:

I paid 20% off, which is the standard price at Kief's (~$799). Where are you? Salina? Smith Center? Hey, just kidding! Seriously though, I have shopped Kiefs for over 25 years and they are great to deal with. I can't recommend them enough.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I actually considered buying from Kief's, myself, but they didn't seem to stock many NAD products. When I called, they only had a 752 out -- and I was looking for the 763. Consequently, if you're actually wanting to audition something, you might call them in advance just to make sure they have it before you drive out there.

Duke
Unregistered guest
West of Seneca KS. Any where near you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
No. I live south of Denver now, but I have quite a few friends and a couple of relations not far from you, so I actually know the area pretty well. Lawrence is a good drive from where you are, but you won't find a better dealer anywhere, so it is worth the trip.

Darryl makes a good point about calling ahead, though. I called last week and had no trouble--they were fully stocked and shipped my 753 the same day, but it is always a good idea to check so that you don't waste the trip.

Best wishes!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us