Kenwood VR-6070 VS. Onkyo SR-600

Anonymous
I've been bouncing back and forth between buying either the Kenwood 6070 or Onkyo SR600 for sometime now. I'm looking for the receiver that is EQUALLY good at producing both home theater AND music sound. Some reviews I've read cite the Kenwood as being the better HT system, but also mention it's musical capabilities as somewhat lacking and tinny. Circuit City praises the Onkyo's musical prowness while other reviews have said it's lacking in the power department. Anybody out there have a suggestion or ten on which is better and why??

I seriously looked at the SR600 before I bought the 6070. The actual watts delivered continuous is much better on the Kenwood. S&V review says the 6070 delivers 92 watts per channel continuous.
SR600 is about 45 watts continuous. I thought both receivers sounded great, but different. The SR600 sounded a little fuller, but the 6070 was cleaner. Also, 6070 has 6.1 discrete, SR600 does not. Circuit City pushes the Onkyo line more because Best Buy also has Kenwood, but doesn't have Onkyo.Hope this helps.

Can-Onkyo-would?
For HT: go with th K6070

For a excellent compromise between musicality and movie-watching: go with the Onkyo TX-SR600, especially if your listening room is not a big one.

Check also the Integra DTR-5.3, which is essentially a higher-end TX-SR600 for about the same price: http://www.integrahometheater.com/...receiver&p=i

Anonymous
To Jim:

I was torn between all the different receivers in this category/price range too (Denon 1803, Onkyo SR600, Kenwood 6070, Pioneer D811s). I ended narrowing down between the Denon and Onkyo because I have 6 Ohm speakers and they say that they can drive the speakers without a problem. Then ended up with the Onkyo because I could actually hear it--you can spec something to death, but hearing it is the best.

But getting to the actual response, the Onkyo web site says that the SR600 can put out 110W continuous into a 6 Ohm load ( http://www.onkyousa.com/...SR600&class=receivers ). Their specs say 105W into 6 Ohms @1kHz and 80W into 8 Ohms. So I would think that the 45W sounds a little low.

As for the 6.1 discrete, according to crutchfield ( http://www.crutchfield.com/...&i=580TXSR600 ), the SR600 can do DTS-ES discrete.

That is a great point about Circuit City selling Onkyo and Best Buy not. I never really thought of that.

Thanks.

I would strongly recommend you to consider DENON AVR-1803 model which is also priced same as Onkyo SR-600( $450 to $499). Denon can decode DTS-ES Discrete and DTS-ES Matrix as well. Onkyo model, may be, can decode only DTS-ES Discrete. I have looked at both of them; their specs are pretty much the same. But, Denon has more and better DSP Modes. And, more S-Video and Digital Optical Connections.

You could really connect one or two Rear Surround Sound Speakers to it which would make it to sound like 7.1 Surround sound system. The two rear surround speakers can be connected as Zone2 (or Room 2) Speakers as well.

I have bought one yesterday after seeing it performing better (than Onkyo) in my friend's house. CC Store may not sell it but check it out at Hifi buys or Tweeter or outpost stores. Hifi Buys might run some specials now.

Anonymous
To La-Z-Boy:

The great thing about Onkyo's web site is that you can download the manual (you can also download the 1803's)...the SR600 can decode the DTS-ES Matrix.

As you say, the specs are pretty much the same. I don't know about the better dsp modes, but yes the Denon has a additional s-video and digital optical connection.

On the Onkyo, there is one connection for the rear surround, not 2. The Denon sends the same signal to both terminals of the surround back--so you won't hear one gun fire sound from one and not the other. The 2 speakers may help with imaging/creating a fuller sound. Also of note, Denon says that if you are using 1 surround back speaker it can handle 6-16 Ohms, but when using 2, it needs 12-16 Ohms. My speakers are 6 Ohms, so I don't believe connecting 2 of them would work for me. My guess is that it is using 1 amplifier for the surround backs and can't drive 2 speakers of lower impedence.

I actually prefered the way the Onkyo does the main A + B speakers vs the Zoning that the Denon did. With the SR600, you can not take 2 different sources (ie DVD player and a CD player) and send them to different rooms which Zoning can. But you can have the same source be sent to different rooms. The Onkyo wil take the surround speakers' amplifier and use them to power the B speakers--no need for a spearate amp or amplified speakers--and the B speakers are stereo. So you can have a source in stereo in 2 rooms while maintaining the connections for the 6.1 speakers for a movie another time. I *believe* that the Denon has preamp outs for the Zone2 which means you need a separate amplifier for the Zone2 speakers. Or if you use the surround back connections/amplifier for the Zone2, you lose your surround back speaker (for 6.1) and ends out being mono--no difference between the left and right speaker in sound.

Here were things that I liked about the Onkyo over the Denon: On Screen Display; the connector layout on back; the learning remote; the 24-bit/192 kHz DACs on the front speakers for possible future. The component video bandwidth of the Onkyo is higher (50MHz), but the Denon's (27MHz) is more than adequate. I don't even have a component video capable TV so neither would be in use for a while. If I had a turntable, then probably the Denon would be my choice since it has a Phono input and the Onkyo doesn't.

Definately everyone looking for a receiver in the $400-$500 price range should look into the Pioneer 811S, the Kenwood 6070, Denon 1803 and the Onkyo SR600, then find a balance in what each offers and what they want from a receiver. Each one has their Pros and Cons. What is great about this forum is that you can also hear real world experiences with the products as well ask questions.

Whew...I didn't realize how much I typed.

Thanks.

Hey Guys I finally bougth the K VR6070. I need urgent input from the subject matter experts. Here the scoop. I have turn on my receiver and my CD player on CD/DVD. Great music so far. Next have selected DVD 3,(keeping the cd playing, my DVD player is still turn off.
Situation: when I increase the volume close to and above 0 Db, I here a little bit of music coming from the CD player (very low on rigth channel and twice as loud on left channel. If I turn the CD player off, I here humm or sh.......... from my tweeters instead.

Is this normal, is it reasonable to expect this sound output from a $ 800 Cdn Receiver or should I return it to the store for replacement (I still have 5 days to do this.

Answer ASAP please.

Thank you again to all, this tread has been my main motivator from its first day.

Anonymous
Two words............Harmon Kardon

I would consider returning it - exchange it for another and see if it has that problem. Here is another and MUCH longer thread that CONCENTRATES on the Kenwood VR6070:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/624.html

Ah, Pierre, visiting the end of that incredible thread I see that you are already posting the issues you discuss here. Well, this receiver stands alone at the top of my list and I'll probably order it very shortly. But your concern alarms me. I'll give that thread a good read before ordering - from across the country, indeed.

Al Holland
While it is not unusual to hear cross talk when playing one source with another 'dead source' selected I would exchange for another 6070. I said not unusual because some receivers do this and another of the same kind does not. I had a Harmon Kardon and Marantz that did this.
There is some excellent advice from all on this post. As another said, pay no attention to specs, go with what sounds good to you.

Victor
I would return it. The receiver should NOT bleed over. Save a few more bucks and get an Integra DTR-8.3. It is better to wait and save more money than to settle. For the money, Integra includes an impressive amount of features, power and quality. I would not touch Denon; Marantz just bought them and is in the process of marketing Denon in the low-end market. Do not be surprised if you see Denon in your local Wal-Mart soon! Marantz is also very good, but you will pay more for comparable features and power. A few months ago I was down to the Denon AVR-3803 and the Integra DTR-8.3. I ended up getting the Integra DTR-8.3. I liked the sound, features and price ($300 less than the 3803). By the way, Integra is the high end line of Onkyo. My receiver is mated with a Denon DVD-1600, Studer Revox B-225 CD player, Studer Revox B-795 turntable, NEC DX-3500U VCR (an oldie but a goodie, with digital recording) with PSB speakers (including two 12 inch subs powered by a Phase Linear 400).

Phil Krewer
Victor,

That's pretty amaizing. Where did you buy your 8.3 for what 900. Considering the 7.3 retails for 1300 and that the 8.2 retailed for 2000 I would assume that the 8.3 retailed for 2000 also. You must have quite a connection

Phil

gecko311
Victor,
Marantz bought Denon?? Is there a website that tells about this?

Jim Everhart,
I have been looking and looking for this so called magazine that has rated the Onkyo 600 at 45 watts continuous. Is it on the web? What I know to have read is that the 600 was tested by Consumer Reports and it delivered 120 some odd watts into an 8Ohm load. Now I think that is only 2 channels driven but it beat out its competitors in the same test. By the way this test is in the Nov. 2002 issue.

-gecko311

gecko311
Just a FYI...CNET.com has rated the TX-SR600 also, check it out.

Phil Krewer
gecko311,

I've read some post about this and its really a merger with both companys keeping their product lines. They will both be managed under the same holding company. From the info that I could find if anything it was the other way around. ie Denon bought Marantz as Denon shareholders will own 70% of the new holding company. Personally I think that if anything we'll see even better products for both names.

Phil

phototalk123
Stereophile Magazine has mentioned the
merger between Marantz and Denon.
Actually, Marantz bought Denon.

cramer
Simple, If your going for power then I guess the Kenwood would be your choice. But if you actually want your music and movies to SOUND GOOD, then ONKYO or Integra for SURE! I've been looking for a new receiver for months and after listening and listening some more, (Forget the specs - they don't tell you how good it sounds) I picked the Integra DTR-5.3 It has a few features the ONKYO SR-600 doesn't have - mostly picky audiofile stuff like gold connectors, better circuitry (supposedly) and all the new A-BUS connections. The only thing that's even remotely close to the warmth of this receiver would be a higher end Integra model or something tube based... Of course, I can't afford that and I do live on a budget you know... Quit reading everyone elses specs and just find a dealer and LISTEN TO THE DIFFERENCE! I'm not an Integra dealer, just a very satisfied customer... Anyways, I've babbled enough. Peace Y'all!!

Anonymous
As cramer said, listen to the difference if possible. But when it comes to power, be careful. If you have speakers that are nominally 4 or 6 Ohms, you may have a problem with driving them. The Onkyo specifies it can drive 6 Ohms easily. The Kenwood doesn't say it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us