What power amp? Newbie

Anonymous

I know next to nothing about setting up a home theater system. I have a KLH Sequel Series HTA-4100 that I got for Christmas. I suspect that it isn't that great of a system, but I didn't have a home theater system at all. However, I don't have an amp to use them with right now. I'm pretty limited on cash so I could only afford something about $150.
1 Center and 4 Satellite speakers all identical.
Response:110Hz-20kHz
Impedance:8 ohms average
Sensitivity: 86 dB 1W-1M
They are 100 watt speakers.
The Subwoofer has a built in 50 watt amp.
Response:50 Hz to 180 Hz
FTC rating:<1% THD@25w@50Hz@4ohms
Should I go with a HLK amp for best compatibility?
How many Watts?
There's a 600W KLH receiver(receiver and amp are the same thing right?) on ebay. Is it crazy to get an amp with that much power for speakers of 100w? There is also a 200 watt KLH reciever. Please help me, I don't know anything about this stuff!

Laster
Unregistered guest
A receiver is an all in one unit, consisting of a tuner (AM/FM radio), a pre amp and an amp. And in the case of the 5.1 system, which is what you 're looking for, a surround processor.

An integrated amp has a pre amp and an amp.

An amp is just that, the amplifier stage of the audio signal chain. ie: source(CD/tuner) - pre amp - amp - speaker. Given your budget, an inexpensive 5.1 receiver is what you should be looking for.

Don't be missled with wattage claims. That 600W KLH is around 100-120 watt per channel. Remember, the 5.1 receiver has 5 speaker channels. So that 600W is for all five channels. Oh, just because you have KLH speakers, it doesn't mean you have to get a KLH receiver. Go to audioreview.com and do some reading on KLH and others. I'd look at Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo as well.

Good Luck.

L.

Bronze Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 17
Laster is givvin good advice on the receivers. From what I've seen lately, maybe sont as well.(cheap)

Good luck with the start up!
Stay with us

Anonymous

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help! I read up on the yamaha 5550 and it had great reviews, but I think I'm going to get the 5730. It's cheaper and better.

joshua widener
Unregistered guest
Can someone explain how this 6 ohm HTR-5730 will react with my 8 ohm speakers? Also, I couldn't find any feedback on this amp, just the 5550 which had great feedback. Could there be a significant difference?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us