Need Advice

Tad
Unregistered guest
I have acquired a 54 AKAI HDTV and a 12 inch KLH sub. I want to add a receiver and speakers. This will go with my existing Dish Network receiver and Pioneer DVD player. My budget is firm at $700 for cabling and all. I simply can not go over that figure. What should I buy???

Tad
Unregistered guest
I should have added what I'll be doing with the system.
Music -0%
Regular TV -80%
DVDs -20%

sundog
Unregistered guest
For just tv, I wouldn't think you would require hi end sound. Audio Source has pretty decent equipment for very few dollars. You can also pick up a 500 watt pioneer or sony surround system for under $300 at most wal-marts.

Ebay is also a good option to get even a better price.

Tad
Unregistered guest
What about the Denon AVR-685S?

Cass
Unregistered guest
Or what about the Pioneer VSX-52TX? Any one have it???

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 530
Don't go near those "500 watt" surround systems from Wal-Mart. When they say "500 watt", most of these can't get anywhere near that. If you are looking for a good budget receiver, look at the lower end Onkyo or HK, like the Onkyo TX-SR 502 or 602 or the HK AVR-130 or 135. Etronics.com has the HK AVR-130 for $250 and ecost.com has the Onkyo 602 for $299.99. Usually ecost has killer deals on the Onkyo 502 refurbished (usually for under $200), but apparently they aren't running the deal right now. Any of these would be MUCH better than those cheap setups from Wal-Mart.

As for speakers, check out the Athena brand from Best Buy. Normally, I wouldn't recommend Best Buy to anyone, but the Athena brand really is good for the money. I have heard really good things about their Micra 6 surround speaker package, but it comes with a sub, which you alread have, so that would be overkill. Also, check out some of the sites I listed above for speaker deals.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Since you're doing 0% music then for a $700 firm budget I'd suggest looking at the Onkyo SR502 or SR601/602, both jandr.com and ecost.com have some great refurb prices on them then just go to fluance.com and get one of their HT packages for $200-$300. Basing those choices on what I've gleaned from reading various audio forums for the last couple of months, plus I did briefly own an Onkyo SR601 which was fine for movies just not great for music.

I listen to a lot of music, so I tend to be pickier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us