Why is my dvd-a disc only playing out of 2 speakers?

mankeroo
Unregistered guest
Hey all,

I have a Samsung DVD-HD841 dvd player that supports dvd audio, and a really nice Onkyo receiver w/ 5.1 speakers. I got my first 2 dvd-audio discs today, but when i play them, the receiver only registers the signal as being PCM (the dvd player says its outputting a PCM5.1 signal) and I'm only hearing audio out of the 2 fron speakers and nothing from the subwoofer :-( The dvd player is connected to the receiver via and optical cable. What am I missing here? I checked the setup by putting in master and commander dvd, and the receiver switched over to Dolby Digital mode automatically and proceeded to rock my world. Put the dvd-audio discs back in (which have 5.1 surround sound plastered all over the packaging) and i get really tinny-sounding crap out of only the 2 front speakers.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing here?
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 384

quote:

The dvd player is connected to the receiver via and optical cable.

To play DVD-A (and SACD) in full hi-res, you can't use the optical cable or digital coax. You need to connect the 6 analog outs (5.1) of the player to the 6 analog in's on the receiver. The hi-res signal must be converted to analog prior to leaving the player.

Username: J0hnnyv000

Post Number: 1
I have a bush"I no" surrond 5.1 system installed everything is ok until the movie starts to play, then there is back ground music but no speech. Can anybody share some knowledge as its driving me mad.........!
thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 390
Most of the dialog in movies is directed to the center channel. Double check the connections between the center channel and your receiver. Also check the settings on both your receiver and your dvd player. Most have options to turn on/off individual channels.

Username: J0hnnyv000

Post Number: 2
Cheers...I will check.
Another thing the brother in law convinced me that we could run are technics sterio thought the surround sound. He put the speeker cables from the sterio sraight in to the back of the base unit. Ever since then I have had the trouble mentioned earlier...
Would this have mucked it up too. Iwas wondering if the speekers may have been to small for the sterio and have blown!!!!!!!
Cheers again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us