Ceiling Speakers -- any recommendations?

Username: Che422

Post Number: 2
I'm posting for a friend who wants to build a modest HT around L/R ceiling speakers (the surrounds will be installed in the ceiling as well). I don't have the specs on the listening area, but from what I can gather it's about 15x15 with a moderately high ceiling. I'd appreciate any direction/suggestions on what to look for (and look out for) and ideas as to specific brands. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 218
While the surrounds will work well with ceiling speakers, the front left, right and centre won't work as well. Ceiling mounted speakers would fit better, since you can aim the speaker at the listening area. While some speakers have tweeters that can be aimed in a particular direction, the driver will still fire straight down.

As far as in-ceiling speakers, being a Polk fan they're worth a mention.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=9&speaker=129

thejimmy2
Unregistered guest
I am a B&W fan and they have some nice ones, i just auditioned some last week. I am building a house, and have it wired for ceiling mounted speakers, so i am just beginning to shop around -- my house wont be finished until Feb, so i have some time. The ones I listened to was the CWM500, CWM650 and CWM800's and the 650&800's sounded awesome. The cost at the shop i was looking at was $600 for the 650's and $800 for the 800's. What is your budget for speakers?

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I am also building a house with ceiling speakers(polk) my contractor wants to use a rough in kit, but I cannot find one for polk. This is out of his expertise a little and I am wondering the advantages/dis with using rough in kits. Any help would be great!!
Thank You
Scott

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 259
Charles,

One of the best ceiling speaker manufacturers around is Speakercraft. They make a series called AIM. They vary in price from about $350 up to $2000 each. The AIM series allow you to rotate the unit inside the speaker for directionality and they have adjustable crossovers to be able to change the sound presentation to your requirements in the room. This is necessary since this kind of speaker usually doesn't have its own cabinet and so is interacting with the space above the ceiling. Other speakers don't have this facility so the results are more variable.

We use the middle of the range AIM2 speakers in our 15x13 demo room and they are effective, if not as good as conventional speakers.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us