Yamaha receiver RX-V470 keeps shutting off please helpppp

Username: Brybry

Post Number: 1
My yamaha RX-V470 keeps shutting off for some reason. I sit here enjoying the sound from this nice recevier and then it juss shuts off. I go to turn it back on it shuts off again instantly. Now i'm no amatuer i know everything is hooked up right nothing is crossed, the only thing i notice is the receiver gets hot before it shuts off. Someone told me it could be a relay but id like to know for sure someone please help please thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2144
What is the impedance of your speakers? Is this a fairly new problem.

Post Number: 2
I have 2 book shelf speakers at 8 ohms and two 15" car stereo woofers at 4 ohms. With a EQ. This has been going on for about a month now, maybe two. Are the car speakers the problem ?

Post Number: 3
Also want to include I'v had the receiver for 5 years now i hooked up the car woofers about 2 years ago. I'v been running them ever since this started happening. No house amp, just the receiver running the speakers. Book shelfs are Sony 5" 100 watts each, and the woofers are Mobile Audios 350 watts each(cheapies). The stero works great just wish it would stop doing this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2179
Unless, that receiver can handle a 4 ohm load, you will have problems.
How are the woofers hooked up?

Post Number: 4
They are hooked up directly wit monster cable to the inputs in the back of the reciver. Just regualr speaker wire nothing speacial ya know. How do i know if it can handle 4 ohm load ? I have the woofers on the right channel and the book shelves on the left channel so i could use my EQ, i have the EQ basically sending nothing but low bass signals to the woofs and it sending high pitch to the book shelves.Should i be hooking them up another way ? I just want to fix this :/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2190
On the back of your receiver by the speaker terminals, it should say the type of speakers that it can handle. Usually 8-16 Ohms.
Now if your woofers are hooked in parallel, it is drawing around 2 ohms and probably lower, and not a lot of receivers are stable at that point and will go into protect mode even at 4 ohm loads.

Post Number: 5
ok so basically get rid of the woofers and my problems will go away ? i dont get it though iv had them hooked up for a long time now and it just started happening. is there anyway i could still keep my woofers hooked up by buying something like maybe a house amp? its 8 ohms by the way. :/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2192
With them beign on the amp for so long, i don't know if you will have any long term problems, but by doing what you did, you run the risk of damaging the amp permanently.
Right now, just take off the car speakers, they don't work well for the home audio and 8ohms on the amps or receivers mean 8 ohms and no less, unless otherwise specified.
good luck

Post Number: 6
Aight thanks for your help you truely have helped me :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us