Any duties buying in US and shipping to Canada

Unregistered guest
I'm considering ordering a receiver from a US web retailer and having it shipped to me in Canada since the price differencial is so large. For example, I can get a Pioneer VSX-D812 on the web for US$300 and they sell for CDN$600 (about US$450) here.

Does anyone know what hidden charges I'd be paying? Any applicable duties?

Any recommended web retailers anyone?

Thanks,
Peter

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 19
Peter, have a look at BorderFree There are several US electronics retailers there that allow you to shop online and get a final landed price for an item in Canadian dollars. I haven't ordered from any of these etailers so I can't give you any recommendations.

Personally, I shied away from ordering from the US due to the lack of a warranty (beyond 30 days). You might want to have a look at the NAD or Marantz models locally, they're actually reasonably priced in Canada compared to most other makes. I got a NAD T742 back in the fall for C$650 and am very happy with it. I believe the Marantz 5300 goes for around C$600-700.

Another option is to wait for the next Outlaw receiver to show up, probably late this year. They do ship to Canada and provide a full warranty. Although, I'm guessing it'll come in closer to C$1000.

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Thanks Smitty!

That site is wonderful and I'm looking at http://www.etronics.com/ now.

I'm also glad you mentionned the NAD T742 and the price you paid, since I was considering it as an alternative to the Pioneer (See other thread I started about the VSX-41 vs VSX-D812).

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I found the Marantz SR-4300 at CDN$499 which is more in my price range (It's in another province...). Good receiver at a good price?
Recommended?

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 6
Ironically, Peter, I've been wondering about doing just the opposite. I was hesitant to ask, so I'm grateful that you "broke the ice." I have seen several posts that have stated that some A/V products can be purchased for considerably less from Canadian retailers.

I am specifically giving consideration to a new NAD/Paradigm OR Athena combination. Would there be any price advantage in checking with Canadian etailers? If so, any recommendations? Am I correct that there would be warranty implications?

Thanks to all for making this a truly amazing forum!

Unregistered guest
Hi Walkeye,

There might be an advantage in buying from a Canadian retailer for a Canadian brand such as NAD, PSB, Energy, Paradigm.

NAD is rare but one large chain has them, but are not big on the web. Paradigm are easy. Many places have them. www.futureshop.ca has some Canadian content. I'm pretty sure that the StereoPlus chain (www.stereoplus.ca) sells Paradigm.

I may get a Marantz receiver shipped from Halifax, and they carry NAD as well. See http://www.glubes.ns.ca/

I'm sure I could find places in Montreal or Toronto on the web if I looked hard enough. :-)

Is the NAD T742 at CDN$750 worth it over the Marantz SR4300 at $499? Thanks for any advice!

Peter

Username: Walkeye

Post Number: 7
Thanks for your reply, Peter. I will definitely follow up on your leads. In response to your question, I must defer to others here that are much more knowledgeable than I. Feedback I've seen has been favorable, for the most part, on both. Hawk, are you out there?

Thanks again for your response.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Walkeye!

Question for Smitty... Can I ask where you got your NAD T742 receiver for CDN$650? The retail price is $899 and the best I could find in Canada was $750 (plus shipping).

I could mail order from http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ for US$449 which works out to CDN$600 (plus shipping).

I wonder why we can get a Canadian product cheaper in the States...

If I could get that price on the NAD, I'd be tempted to buy it instead of the Marantz SR4300 (CDN$499).

Thanks,
Peter

Bronze Member
Username: Smitty

Post Number: 21
Peter,

I purchased my T742 at Sound Advice locally in Ottawa, I don't believe they sell online.

You may want to visit the NAD website NAD Dealer Locator and get a list of dealers near you and call them up, I'd be surprised if you can't find one of them willing to sell you one for C$650 or even C$600. They're discounted pretty heavily now that the new T7x3 line is out.

Bronze Member
Username: Goose

Post Number: 17
Pricing probably depends on where you are, too. In a big city with healthy competition I suspect you will find lower prices more easily. I live in a rural area, and there is only one NAD dealer within a reasonable day-trip distance. I checked their prices, and their standard discount seemed to be such that the price including tax was the same as the MSRP. This applied to the T7x2 as well as the T7x3. Their best deal was a T751, but they still wanted $850 for it! Mind you, this was over the phone, and things might change if I was there in person, ready and willing to spend money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Pricing probably depends on where you are, too. In a big city with healthy competition I suspect you will find lower prices more easily. I live in a rural area, and there is only one NAD dealer within a reasonable day-trip distance. I checked their prices, and their standard discount seemed to be such that the price including tax was the same as the MSRP. This applied to the T7x2 as well as the T7x3. Their best deal was a T751, but they still wanted $850 for it! Mind you, this was over the phone, and things might change if I was there in person, ready and willing to spend money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
It will probably depend on where you are in Canada, too. I live in a rural area, with only one NAD dealer within a reasonable day-trip. Their discounts seem to be only enough to cancel the taxes (i.e., your total cost is the MSRP). This applied to the T7x2 as well as the T7x3 models I checked. Their best deal was a T751, and it was still $850.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Boy, posting is messed up today. I did not mean to post the previous info twice, and this is the third attempt to say so! (Knowing my luck, it will show up 3 times too.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us