Polk audio RTi8/10

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 163
Well i went to demo the polks this morning. Wow, i like them allot, i think my dad will too. after all they are for christmas for him. is 899 a good price for the RTi8's? the 10's are 1299 lol. stupid dumbass sales person kept rushing me in the demo. i got about 10 good mins of listening to a movie, and they didnt even have the free sub for me to demo! 1 of the many reasons why i hate future shop! the guy had the nerve to ask me if im gonna put it on my future shop card. after i told him no ill pay cash he flipped out and wanted to sign me up and spent more time then the actually demo proccess trying to get me to sign up for a card. BS.. that was NOT a nice demo experience. now enough about my rant lol. is that a good deal? 899, and 1299 for those speakers? ill need to get him a center channel aswell, i need reccomendations.

Ill stick to visions with my demoing and buying stuff.. the pr!ck. cant beleive that.

Username: Mb1

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 6
I did the samething this morning (Future Shop in Montreal), listened to both the RTi8 and RTi10 on HK AVR430. I was quite impressed too with the RTi10, even in 2-channel musics (w/o sub). Soundstage was excellent. $1299 is the regular price. There was a $200 mail rebate 2 weeks ago for the RTi10. The sales person saw no problem to let it go at $1099. For the center, he recommended the CSi3 as opposed of the CSi5 (he indicated that the mids of the CSi3 were closer than the CSi5 to the RTi10). They were out of stock on both, so I could not listem to them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
haha yeah man they used the HK 430 as well. did they play jurassic park? they played that with me. i wanted them to go to the scene where the t-rex is chaseing the jeep, "uh, i dont know what that is". why would u use a disk you dont know anything about.. is beyond me. i agree with you though for the amount of time i listend the soundstage was incredible! yes 2channel music is what he demoed me with, without the sub as well. sounded great. he tried to turn on the sub and it wouldnt work.. lol the guy was.. ah..

what did the sales person tell you? i talked to the guy after and told him if i buy the fronts, sub and center all together what is the best deal he can get me, and he didnt say anything. so i dunno if this is a thing or... ill haveta look more into detail about the center channels.

lol i still stress enough, visions is the way to go. would u agree MB?

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 14
Slade

I was just at a Tweeter and the RTi10 is $959.98 and the RTi8 was $699.98 regular prices. It seems those prices are high.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
is that in the US? or in canada? what store? thanx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I apologize that is in the US. I will have to pay more attention.

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
lol, i seen that u can pick up a RTi8 for $154 in the us.. canada is messed with high prices like this

edster922
Unregistered guest
Slade,

If you're in Canada why bother with American speakers? I thought there were tons of great Canadian speaker manufacturers...surely they'd be slightly cheaper in Canada than in the US?

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
cuz the american speakers sound good lol. i dont really care if they are american or canadian.. just my dad needs slim speakers, the athenas are a big too big, and prety much allot of speakers are too wide.. so the RTi's were a nice fit. need to try the Energy's though. you would think they would be cheaper.. their not.. trust me lol

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 190
Energys are Canadian made. Small company = high prices. The Veritas are beautiful speakers but for the $4000 price tag for the floorstanders it's rediculous. Same thing with Paradigm, while they would probably have been my purchase, the American Polks were a lot cheaper.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Kano,

I haven't had a chance to audition the Paradigms, but are you saying you think the Polks are of comparable quality?

Which models of Polks and Paradigms are you comparing? The only ones I heard that impressed me were the RTi8s adn above.

edster922
Unregistered guest
Slade,

where on earth did you see the RTi8 for $154? I usually see them going for around $350 EACH, a price point that I have a hard time justifying---at least until I get a chance to hear their competition in that price range.

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 8
$350US each is pretty close to $1000CDN/pair.

Slade, I brought my own CD... I prefer to listen/compare with music I'm used to?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
edster, i seen that 154 price online.. cant remember where though. i found it yesterday and after searching today i cant find it.. ah that bugs me.

350 us is not near 1000cdn. 350us is $430cdn. i could save over 400bux! awesome.

u also mention the paradigms, i got a set up paradigm mini monitors for my bedroom, and they are awesome!

edster922
Unregistered guest
Slade,

please let me know if you ever do find it at that price again. I'd be willing to pay $308 for a pair of RTi8s

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
k man ill let ya know man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
$350 each speaker. $700US for the pair. So $850 CDN. Not a bad price, but it's hard to get a good deal out of the States, you still get screwed on the border tax, not to mention most places won't ship outside the US.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
oh i didnt know that you guys were talkin $350 was for eatch. lol if i was that much of a nice guy i could drive down to montana, and pick them up. but thats allot of time. ah ill figure it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I heard the RTi8 today through a VSX54tx receiver and they sounded very nice, I agree with someone else that had liked them better than the RTi10

Bronze Member

MontrealCanada

Post Number: 11
Kano was saying in another thread that the RTi8 with a powered sub was a great combination.

I'm no expert, but could this because the RTi8 has two 6.5" mid-woofers, as opposed of only one for the RTi10?

The center CSi5 has two 6.5" mid-woofers. Does anyone thinks that pairing the RTi10 is a good idea to compensate for RTi10's weakness with the mids?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I think the RTi8 is considered 2 way from the tag I read today and the RTi10 is 3 way. I think one of the drivers on the RTi8 must be passive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
yeah, the sales dude tride to tell me that the 8" tiny subwoofer came with the speakers. i told him no and he refused i was wrong. proved him wrong and he shut up and looked like a fool. heh. i really didnt hear a difference between the 8's and the 10's. 10's had more bass is the only thing i found.

need some reccommendations on a sub to go with the 8's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Polk was offering a free sub with speakers either that or an amount off the speakers I am not sure what speakers the offer was for.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
The CSi5 will not make up any midrange lost by the 10s, since the major difference will be noticed in 2 channel music but there is really no loss, just a question of preference. I find the bass from the 8s is great, I have my receiver's crossover set to 40Hz and they perform great with accurate bass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
yeah i know i still want to test out the free subwoofer but the dudes at future shop wont let me.. dunno what the hell. i agree kano, the bass is great on the 8's. what does ur system consist of kano?

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Harman Kardon AVR430
Polk Rti8
Polk Csi3
Polk Fxi3
Polk PSW404

I believe the PSW202 is the free sub they offer, I wouldn't recommend it. They offer it in their mini systems and it started popping with the receiver set to -15dB, and the sub at 1/2 volume.

The PSW404 is a great sub and well worth the $300 CAN I paid for it. I definitely wouldn't spend $500 or more on it. I want an SVS cylinder sub, but also like the looks of SVS PB10-ISD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
the fxi3 are those good surrounds? since im picking up the 8's my dad has no use for the jbl 310's anymore.. would they be good for rears?

psw404, that is a great sub? ill haveta test it out.. what are ur thoughts on it? SVS if ur in victoria u can pick up svs in washington.. an hour drive i think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
Harman Kardon AVR430
Polk Rti8
Polk Csi3
Polk Fxi3
Polk PSW404

I believe the PSW202 is the free sub they offer, I wouldn't recommend it. They offer it in their mini systems and it started popping with the receiver set to -15dB, and the sub at 1/2 volume.

The PSW404 is a great sub and well worth the $300 CAN I paid for it. I definitely wouldn't spend $500 or more on it. I want an SVS cylinder sub, but also like the looks of SVS PB10-ISD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
ok? why the double post?

Silver Member

Post Number: 201
That was weird, sorry for the double post

The Fxi3s are excellent surround speakers, no complaints, if your Dad has a larger room, or if you get the Csi5 over the Csi3, I would recommend moving up to the Fxi5.

Between the PSW404 and SVS there is no comparison, SVS will win in every single regard, especially musically, the Polk subs all have a delay finishing a the final note in a sequence which can drive you crazy in some musical pieces. In home theatre use it definitely does not disappoint, and matches well with the 8s, not drowning them out. Some of the SVSs may be too much sub for a moderate system.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
yeah ill stick with buying him the 8's. what use do u think could be done with the free sub they give? he doesnt listen to music, so i think ill pick up the 404 too.

as for the surrounds, will the jbl 310's be ok?

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Since he doesn't listen to music, they should be fine, the times you'll notice the speakers not timbre matching will be in sequences where the sound is passed off to another speaker, such as a plane flying through the soundstage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
ahh.. knowing that, that kinda bugs me now.. i dont want any flaws in his system. should i scrap the jbl's then?

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
Why not see how they fit first, I believe JBL and Polk have a similar sound, they do use the similar materials in their drivers and tweeters. For perfect timbre matching you will want Polks all around, and I'm very fond of speakers with the angled drivers/tweeters, really capable of moving the sound through the stage when compared to a bookshelf.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
ok, well i drew a lill plan of his room and found out the perfect place for the big jbls, so i think ill try that one. if it doesnt sound to good ill just pick him up the other polks. any suggestions what to do with the jbls?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us