Need of optical cables for DVDs? (SACD content)

Bronze Member
Username: Nutopia

Post Number: 12
I have a Sony DVD/SACD Player DVP-CX985V. It has analogue outputs (for the SACD) which I assume means it has its one digital decoder for surround mixes. My question is that if I have these analogue outs, do I need a digital cable for true surround sound for non-SACD formats, such as DVD movies? I don't think I do...I believe I'm hearing the correct surround mix, but I just wanted to ask so my question doesn't remain unanswered.

And while I'm here, would I have any advantage if I bought a DVD-A cd and played it in this player? I know I won't get high definition, but would I still get a surround mix, or not? I thought someone mentioned this once, but I forgot what was said.

Thanks a lot guys.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 275
1. Could be that reveiver has better chips for the surround processing. Iff so, feed it digitally for DD and DTS.

2. Some DVD-A discs contain DD or DTS tracks as well, which would be a surround experience. There mightalso be DVD-Video compatible PCM track sat 48 or even 96 KHz/24 bits, but 2-channels I'm afraid.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Aurora_sandman

Post Number: 17
You don't need to use the digital feed. But if you want to be sure the receiver gets the signal with no coloration from cables, use the digital out/in. All you need is any old cheap RCA cable. It's not an expensive proposition. But if you're happy with the sound, there's no need to go digital either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us