Wiring my home theater

Username: Quegyboe

Post Number: 4
Hey guys. Thought I would check with all the experts first before I buy the wire I'm going to use for my home theater system. I just want to know if there is an optimal wire gage for a certain power level. Someone told me that in some cases, upgrading your speaker wire will allow you to hear things you wouldn't hear with lower quality wire. Is this true? My reciever puts out 100 watts per channel and the wire that came with my system is pretty thin. Any recommendations for speaker wire? Does having THX certification make a difference when buying wire? Does having a longer length of wire effect sound quality vs. shorter lengths? Please don't hesitate to go into detail because I want to be sure I setup my system properly the first time. Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 165
Since your system came with speaker wire I'm going to go out on a limb and say spending extra on THX certification will be a waste of money since you won't see any added performance on an entry level system.

I would however recommend buying better wire than what it came with. Often costs are cut on speaker wire since it's a rough guess on measurements for your speaker locations.

AV Cable makes quality cable for a fraction of the price of Monster Cable. 100 feet for $75 is a good price on this cable -

http://www.avcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SPK2&Cate gory_Code=SPKR

Sigh
Unregistered guest
Slight problem -- I am placing rear speakers for a 5.1 on wallmounts. One of those Sony Theater in a box.

The room -- is the problem. The kitchen and living room are 'open' .. TV is on the north wall and the stove is on the south wall. The living room has 15ft ceiling and the kitchen has 10ft..so there is some distinction tween the rooms. That 5 ft difference is the location of the rear speakers.

Now .. the sitting places will be just about right below that drop. In other words ..the speakers will be directly above the listeners head about 10ft.

Should I angle these speakers directly down toward the sitting place ..or more toward the center of the room ?

Username: Quegyboe

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the info Kano. I've decided to go for the better wire. I figure why not? Couldn't make my system sound any WORSE right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Sigh. You should mount the speakers directly to the left and right of your sitting position. If you want them mounted to the ceiling the best location will be facing inwards about 6 inches from the wall, and 6 inches in from the drop. Angle them downwards towards your seating location.

sigh
Unregistered guest
Kano - yeah .. would, could, should -- wife and kids have opinions on placing stands around the room -- the back of the 'living room' is an inbetween kitchen/living -- high traffic area. Only spot is this 4ft drop down wall.

The Sony STR-SE501 receiver allow you to program the 'location' .. i read that if you tell the system the speaker is closer than what it is actually -- you could get a fuller sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Kids with speakers on stands IS a bad idea. Preferable to ceiling mounts are wall mounts if that works and fits the WAF. Otherwise usually distances when put into a receiver refer to the AV sinc delay, at least in my receiver, it adjusts the sound delay from the picture by the distance the speakers are to your seating position. You can accomplish the fuller sound from the surround speakers by raising the speaker levels on the surround left and right channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us