Overdriving my home theater?

newbie dave
Unregistered guest
I'm a COMPLETE home theater newbie who's trying to buy the right receiver and dvd to hook into the Bose Acoutimass 15 system that came with the my new home (i.e. already mounted). I've got a new Sony KD-34XBR960 TV, so I've got the HDMI interface and read that it's the best way to connect the DVD to the TV. Audio should then connect optical from the dvd and the tv into the receiver, which then drives the acoustimass, correct?

Trying to do research to find the right gear, and the Denon 3910/3805 combo sounds highly thought of, but I've got one major question:

Is this "overdriving" my speakers? IOW, is the Denon set "too high" quality for the speakers I've got? If so, what would be a better pairing? What about a recommended macro remote to work all this stuff?

I've got Adelphia bringing an HD cable card for my tv to replace the cable box on Dec 22 so I need to get my other gear in time for the movement of the 200 lb Sony behemoth.

Can anyone guide this newbie into the world of home theater? Help is so much appreciated...

dd

newbie dave
Unregistered guest
Another thing I forgot to mention: Since the Acoustimass 15 is a 5x2 speaker setup, getting anything beyond Dolby 5.1 is also overkill? Or will 6.1, 7.1 etc be noticable to me?

Wow. So much to know for picking the right combo....

Thanks again for any recommendations!

Bronze Member
Username: Shantao

Post Number: 73
Hi;

no the denon is not too "high quality", it will do nicely. All quality receivers allow you to turn on the speakers you need (i.e., 5.1, 6.1, 7.1), so that is not a problem either.

A lot of this depends on what you want to spend and if you like the sound of the receiver. Perhaps visit some stores and listen.

newbie dave
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the guidance. Since the Acoustimass came with my house, I unfortunately won't get a chance to hear it before I buy the receiver and DVD. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't combining a Corvette engine and a Yugo chassis (so to speak)....

Dave

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 152
The Bose speakers can eat up a lot of power, and in fact sound their best at higher volumes. I'd recommend a neutral to bright receiver to make them sound their best.

Yamaha or Denon will likely be your best choices.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us