Nominal Input?

Username: Littlericky

Springfield, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I bought some small speakers for my kitchen (Yamaha NS-AW150). The choice is driven more by the size and appearance (Gotta be small, gotta be white) than by sound. But, with my receiver, they sound decent enough and they will look good and fit in well where I'm planning to mount them.

I just have one concern: The speaker Specs say "Nominal Input" is 35 Watts and "Maximum Input" is 120 Watts. I'm guessing that "Nominal Input" corresponds to what a lot of manufacturers would call "continuous" wattage handling. If so, it seems to me that they're a reasonable match for my receiver (also a Yamaha...old model R-7), which is rated at 75 watts per channel at 6 ohms. I'm figuring that running my 75 watt amp at normal volume levels (we never crank it) means that the power it's delivering fits well within the range of 35 to 120 watts that the speakers are made for.

Am I missing anything? I'd appreciate any thought that anyone might like to share. I don't want to risk blowing these speakers. It's not that I'd be out the hundred bucks. I just don't want to start drilling holes in the walls (that's where the commitment is!) if I'm taking a chance.

greensilver
Unregistered guest
If the sound is clean and neither the amp nor speaker are breaking up (THD), all is well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us