Which Receiver for PSBs Image 4T Speakers

Username: Katy

New mexico

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a good AV receiver, have PSB Image 4T floor speakers, no surround sound at this time but will probably upgrade in the future.

Will use about 80/20 music to DVDs, so am interested in great sound for music, mainly folk and light rock. Considering NAD T752 or 753, Marantz 7300 or a Denon.
Suggestions are most welcome! Should I also look at Onkyo?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2037
NAD 753 gets my vote, then the Marantz then Denon. Your taste may vary.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 377
Kay b,
I have the NAD T742 and PSB 4T's for my fronts, they sound very nice together, very musical. The T7x2 line has been discontinued and may be hard to find, on one hand, but if you do find a T752, it should cost a lot less than the T753. I did audition a Denon (forget which model), with the PSB's and preferred the NAD/PSB combo by a wide margin.

A lot of folks here say great things about the Marantz receivers but I never did audition one.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 518
Put in another vote for the NAD. I also have an NAD/PSB combination, and I absolutely love it. The PSB's really bring out the clarity and detail of the NAD. Plus, PSB and NAD are owned by the same company, so to me it seems natural that they go well together.

Of the other two you listed, Denon is the only one that I would even consider with PSB (but it is a VERY distant second to the NAD). PSB speakers are warm sounding speakers, as the Marantz is a warm sounding receiver. Thus, Marantz and PSB make a poor combination in my opinion. Paired with the right speakers, Marantz is one of the best out there, but just not with PSB.

Denon would sound ok with PSB, but I have never been a very big fan of Denon, no matter what the speakers.

New mexico

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys. I have found a NAD T752 for $500 but it's 'blemished' (I don't care about blemishes because it's hidden) but it also only has a one-year rather than a two-year warranty. That concerns me.

I'm also considering a NAD T743 but am concerned about the low watts, you think 50w is enough for these speakers, for a mid-size to large room?

I was sold on NAD until I came here and read about all the quality problems, the hissing issues. I don't want a receiver that I have to ship back to the factory. I'm still thinking of NAD but also looking at Marantz, Denon and Onkyo.

I'd like a warm sound. Do you consider Onkyo or Denon to have a warmer sound?

New mexico

Post Number: 3
Johnny, thanks for the great info. I think we were posting at the same time.

YOu don't think I should be concerned about the NAD build quality? And what do you think of Onkyo with PSBs?

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 520
I don't know how much you have read on the forum, but my views on the NAD issues are well known. I have had absolutely no problems at all with my NAD unit. I have also spoken with three separate dealers in three different parts of the country who have all told me that they have had no more problems with NAD than other brands. It is true that there have been some who have had issues, but I still maintain that they are a relatively low percentage of the total users. So, in short, I would not be concerned at all. Just be sure that you buy from an authorized dealer.

As for Onkyo with PSB, I have actually never heard the combo together. I have an old Onkyo receiver, so I guess I could do a test myself, but I haven't ever done so. However, based on what I know about the brands separately, I think NAD would still sound the best out of all of them.

The only other brand in this price range that I would recommend with PSB is Yamaha. Stay away from their lower end stuff, and stick to the 1500 or 2500.

Don't be concerned about the 50wpc of the NAD T743 with your speakers. That unit will provide plenty of power. All NAD receivers have been shown to drive even 4 ohm speakers, and your 4T's are 6 ohm I am pretty sure (my 2B's and 9C are).

New mexico

Post Number: 4
thanks Johnny. I'm now sold on the NAD 743, appreciate your great information.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 521
Above all, I would definately go listen for yourself. Don't take my word for it. If you are still concerned about the NAD quality issues, go to the dealer and listen for yourself. Put your ears right up to the speaker and see if you hear anything. There is also a good chance that you could listen to the T743 on your exact speakers as it has been my experience that many NAD dealers also sell PSB....I am sure there are some exceptions, but all of the NAD dealers I know of do.

Indianspringsaz
Unregistered guest
You are on the right path with NAD. Purchase the most watts in your budget. Minimum NAD T743 T753.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us