Pioneer VSX-1014 vs. Kenwood VR-8070

Username: Kdub83

Sacramento, CA

Post Number: 4
Buying my first receiver and have narrowed it down to these two THX receivers. The Kenwood can be had with deliver for $320, the Pioneer for $390. I was leaning towards the Pioneer because of all the great things I have heard about the auto calibrating system. Anyone have any experience with either of these receivers? Any input would be much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 111
With experience from a Kenwood VR-6070 for almost 2 years now, Id say go for the Kenwood.

The Kenwood is cheaper and IMHO a better receiver than Pioneer. They are very easy to set up and use, as well as have decent power reserves at the price level.

What type of speakers are you running? The Kenwood will only push 8 ohms speakers, and id recomend getting a subwoofer if you dont already have one.

If you are a music fanatic, I have to say scrap both of these receivers and go for a Marantz,NAD or HK. However both these receivers will do more than fine for HT and video games...

Halo 2 anyone?:-)

G.DawG

anon12
Unregistered guest
dude get the pioneer. kenwood sucks!

Silver Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 154
the pioneer is a great receiver. sounds awesome and blows the hell outa the kenwood. Its not to heavy for the music though..

G.Dawg do you have xbox live? if so, ill play ya online and take ya down!! lol

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2090
Can you prove that Pioneer (not the Elite line) "blows the hell outa the Kenwood"? Where did you get this information? Or is this your opinion?

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
ive heard them both.. my opinion. pioneer is more clear and detailed. kenwood is well in my opinion kinda sucks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2095
Well, that certainly clears that up.

Silver Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 118
Slade,

Lol,
Yes I do, give me your sign in name so I can add you to my "freind" list, and I'll school you, trust me you wont stand a chance against my clan.

G.DawG

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
lol u already made a clan.. ur goin hardcore aint ya.

the-womp
Unregistered guest
I also bought the VR-6070 2 years ago and just recently replaced it with the Pioneer. I would diagree with you GDawg - the pioneer has a more dynamic, powerful sound. It sounds much smoother as well. However, the difference between them is pretty subtle, but with the auto-calib, well worth the increase in price.

Unregistered guest
Do a search on the Pioneer VSX1014... there is a link somewhere to one of the German HiFi/Home Theatre magazines. They say the 1014 compares well with Recievers costing much more. In fact they give it 6 stars in every category (6 is best). BTW I think the Brits and Germans have the most extensive testing and thorough reviews in their magazines than anyone... although they each usually favor home market products a bit. The 1014 definitely has a great amplifier section. Puts out true rated power into all channels driven simultaneously unlike most AV recievers. Also does quite well with power hungry speakers and can drive 4 ohms with no problems. One other thing .. if it says on a reciever not to run speakers that are rated less than 8 ohms then you can bet the amplifier section is WEAK! BTW I am biased.. ordered mine from Sunshine and should be here tomorrow. Good luck. -Rick

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 282
Rick,

Is the VSX1014 rated for 4 ohms?
The Canada web site only mentions 8 ohms...

Unregistered guest
Actually the German magazine review of the 1014 and the test in Sound and Vision of the Pioneer Elite 52TX (Same exact amplifier section) show very good results at 4ohms. The amp put out 70% more wattage at 4ohms ... a sign of a powerful amp.. no current limiters required. In fact it performed much better than many of the higher end models from Yamaha and Denon in this particular area... remember though the amplifier is only a piece of the puzzle in AV and there may be other areas the Pioneer is not so grand (except according to the German magazine ;-). -Rick

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 283
Then let's hope that Pioneer are not like Onkyo, with different builds for the Americas, Europe and Japan!

Unregistered guest
Nice measurements online for the Elite 52TX (same amplifier section as the 1014). In fact this is essentially the same as the 1014 with a few nice upgrades like RS232 input, firewire link and a better warranty (2yrs). BTW this is the same as the European models as far as I can tell... I have seen things like the Yamaha RX-V750 getting slightly different spec in UK than the rest of the world but I have researched as extensively as possible without tearing two of them apart and cannot see any differences.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/1204pioneer/index2.html

Unregistered guest
Nice measurements online for the Elite 52TX (same amplifier section as the 1014). In fact this is essentially the same as the 1014 with a few nice upgrades like RS232 input, firewire link and a better warranty (2yrs). BTW this is the same as the European models as far as I can tell... I have seen things like the Yamaha RX-V750 getting slightly different spec in UK than the rest of the world but I have researched as extensively as possible without tearing two of them apart and cannot see any differences.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/1204pioneer/index2.html

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1018
I have mentioned this before but will again. I have talked to Pioneer about their two lines and they use completely different dsps, dacs, capacitors, commectors etc. They are not "essentially" the same, even the 1014. The 104 and 52 look similar but internally are not the same unit. If you doubt this call them yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 140
What do you expect Pioneer to say? If they are the same Pioneer will steer the customer(you) in the direction of the Elite cause they charge a premium for them. The only way the really tell is to open a 1014 and a 52tx Elite up and do the comparison. I'll bet they are more the same then different.

Recently Costco had a a similar receiver to the 1014 but I was too late, they sold out. I would have bought it if I was able to.

Gold Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 1020
I have had Pioneer's and Elite's and they are not the same. Why some won't except this is beyond me.I guess Onkyo and Integra must be the same and Sony and SonyES also. Elite doesn't/hasn't used the same processors even within that line. Ihave no doubt the 1014 is a very fine receiver in it's price class as was my old Pioneer 906 which resembled the Elite vsx-07 but just as they were not the same neither are the 1014 and the 52. Believe what you will.

Unregistered guest
Look inside. I got to see both insides and they are almost identical.. both use Burr-Brown DACs both have exactly the same amplifier section... oh and the repair manuals for both are the same... only has the additional info on firewire and RS232 inputs and a couple of lines here and there stating 52TX/2014i (I think the 2014i is the 52TX in Europe). Seems very similar to Yamaha and the HTR vs RX-V series, but Yamaha tells you upfront (see their web page) that they are basically identical inside. I would say that same though "believe what you will" ;-).

Bronze Member
Username: Earful

Post Number: 28
Elite receivers do not list name brand DACs for some of their receivers and the ones they do list are Delta Sigma a cheaper DAC than Burr Brown.

Seeing that they don!t list the name brand DACs it makes me wonder if there is a reason they don!t list them.

Unregistered guest
Sales pitch for Pioneer VSX-1014 :
Now you can create a professional sound stage right in your living room. The multi-channel acoustic calibration system (MCACC) of the VSX-1014-S is an automatic sound field adjustment system created by Pioneer experts in cooperation with AIR studios professional sound engineers. Using the included calibration microphone, the MMACC system monitors the sound environment and automatically adjusts various sound parameters.
Operating your VSX-1014-S is simple. They are outfitted with Pioneer's exclusive new remote control, with intuitive and easy-to-understand key layout. It features an LCD display, which gives information about the source currently being controlled. It enhances ease-of-use between the receiver and a Pioneer DVD player, DVD recorder and plasma TV. And it includes a host of preset codes and learning capability, which make setting up a cinch.
Exclusive for Pioneer, specially selected top-of-the-line Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit digital-to-analogue converters drive each of the eight channels independently. Sound is accurately reproduced, true to the original signal, with a remarkable signal-to-noise ratio. These are the best multi-bit type D/A converters for high resolution, strong and stable sound, with a perfect signal from input to output.
With the latest SR+ interface on the VSX-1014-S you can integrate the A/V receiver with your new Pioneer Plasma TV with minimum fuss. Everything you need to produce the ultimate listening experience - receiver status and controls such as volume level, surround mode, MCACC Setup and all initial setup features - are displayed on the Plasma display. With SR+ interface, the Plasma TV's Multimedia Receiver automatically follows the input of the A/V receiver and the Plasma TV's infrared receptor also accepts remote commands via Pioneer A/V products using the SR+ interface.
The VSX-1014-S is THX certified. Developed by Lucasfilm Productions, THX is a seal of approval found on home cinema equipment and software. It signifies that the highest quality standards have been met. Lucasfilm created an equipment standard know as THX Select for receivers and loudspeakers that are certified for mid-size home theatre use. It also comes equipped with Dolby Pro Logic IIx which expands upon the popular Dolby Pro Logic II technology. With Dolby Pro Logic IIx, these receivers have the ability to process 2- or 5-channel sources into 5.1 or 6.1- or 7.1- channel output according to the model and speaker configuration. Dolby Pro Logic IIx creates a seamless, natural wraparound sound field that does not require specifically encoded programme content. The VSX-1014-S also comes equipped with Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, THX Surround EX, DTS, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo: 6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
That is odd, either the 1014 has better DACs than the VSX52tx or they both have better DACs than some of the better Elite receivers. Either that Pioneer has changed DACs to save money. On the Pioneer website they listed no brand name for the regular receivers at least the top 4 when you check next to the receivers for a comparison it shows no name brand for the DACs this is the site for the Elites(below) as you can see none listed and Delta Sigma. From what I have seen Burr Brown is a better DAC.

2076_4155%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/comparison/res ults/0,,2076_4155,00.html

Unregistered guest
I have heard Burr Brown is good... I think Delta Sigma is used by NAD too though so I would think they are good as well. I really do think the VSX-1014 is a great bargin and uses quite different technology from the rest of the VSX line from amp to processors. Similar to NAD. In the NAD line you really only get the great amp sections (Holmgren based) once you move up to the T763 or T773. One last thought... the US web site for Pioneer is pretty pathetic overall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I have emailed Pioneer and asked them to clarify some things and I will let you know when I hear back from them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
I got a response from Pioneer saying they could not answer my email by email and that I would have to call them so I did yesterday. The guy told me that the VSX52tx was definitely different parts than the VSX-1014 he said he was sure neither one had Burr Brown DACs so when I asked him what they did have for DACs after several minutes he told me he did not have any information on that and transferred me to what ended up being a line for Pro DJ equipment so I hung up. Someone mentioned their site was pathetic well I think it is pathetic when the company can!t tell you what brand of DACs are in their receivers. I had not intention of making a buying decision based on what DACs are in there but when I talk to the company and they are that sorry I think I should look elsewhere for a receiver.

Unregistered guest
Could be. I do think the designers and engineers are doing a good job there... but not marketing. Yamaha is very upfront about their differences and likenesses (see the FAQ on their website). But looking inside I did not see any differences in components etc.. other than firewire and rs232. I should open mine up now that I have more time and check it out. -Rick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us