Integrated Amplifier -- Help!

Username: Maxxey

Post Number: 1
I've just purchased a pair of B&W Nautilus 802 speakers, and want a nice integrated amp. Looking to spend $800 - $1300, and more if truly needed to most enjoy the speakers. Been told Rotel, and NAD, but really don't understand integrated amps or have enough experience with them to decide on my own.

Suggestions welcome!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

Read the McIntosh MA6100 posts above on this thread.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 224
Allen

You should be thinking further up the scale for those speakers - more like the $2000 - $3000 bracket. There's lots of amps out there to do them justice. What you really need to find is a good dealer who can help you work through the options and demonstrate them with your N802's once they've been run in. Broadly speaking, there's different presentations you have to be aware of. The Japs tend to be detailed and a bit clinical, the Europeans can be very clinical but with excellent air and space, the Brits have a warmer approach with good timing and the Americans tend to sound big and powerful. You need to hear some different presentations to find out which suits you. Treat it as a journey that you should enjoy and you will learn a great deal from it and from your music and musical tastes.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 225
By the way, don't forget the source in all this. It's the most important part of the system in many ways. Let your dealer guide you.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Linnkeilidh

The netherlands

Post Number: 5
Hi everybody,

I would advise to try Naim, I own a Naim nait 5 (drives my linn keilidhs), it's really a wonderfull amp. Naim en B&W are also a really good match. But i agree with Frank to get an advice from a good (and trustworty) dealer
greetings Danny

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 237
Sorry Danny, the B&Ws will tear a Nait5 or Nait5i apart. They're more difficult to drive than the Naim can manage and they are ruthlessly revealing of the signal being fed into them which isn't good enough in the case of the little Nait (good though it is). In Naim terms, you should be looking at a *minimum* of a 202/200 pre/power, preferably with a CDX2 on the front so the music that comes through has less problems to show off to the world through the B&Ws. The 202/200 is £2500 or $4000, and the CDX2 is another $4000...

There is one little, powerful effective integrated amp which is the AVI Laboratory Series integrated amp. £1400 ($2200 or so), midsized little beauty packing a 200w/ch punch with a really clean preamp stage in it. Very nice and may fit the bill if the presentation is to your liking (I prefer the Naim). Have a look at AVI on http://www.avihifi.co.uk. It's a fine amplifier indeed.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
If you have a chance to try out h/k like an older avr75 for this set, that may give you a reference point. This unit can be had for cheap, and you can always sell it off afterwards, if you like. I have one, and took it to the retailer to test my new speakers, even the dealer was impressed. I know you are looking upscale in quality and price, but a solid reference may help. (I bought psb)

Username: Linods

Post Number: 1
Hi there,
I am fairly new to the high end equipment and I have a few questions concerning amps. I have the possibility to purchase(second hand)from an interstate seller, a pair of B&W 703.I've been told they are very hungry for power and not very efficient to drive. I am also in a position to purchase(second hand)from overseas(UK)the Exposure 2010 integrated amp(50W per channel) and 2010 power amp(60W per channel). Since I am not in a position to audition them, can anyone tell me if the amps can drive the B&W's with easy or do I need an extra 2010 power amp? I've also heard that Two 2010 power amps can be rigged as monoblock to give more power.How does it work? How do you make the connections with the 2010 integrated amp?
Any input is appreciated
Regards
linods
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us