Denon Factory Warranty...

Bronze Member
Username: Bmarian

Post Number: 11
I just purchased the Denon 3805 from AuthorizedElectronics (webvendor). A note on the website said that they do not warrant this machine. What?? Do I not have a factory warranty? Does the factory warranty depend on the vendor?

I'm freaking out here, so please help me out.

Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 3
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it appears that authorizedelectronics is not listed as an authorized dealer, so thus you only have the warranty that the website supplies you, not a denon warranty. I would contact denon to find out for sure though. Sorry
derek

Bronze Member
Username: Bmarian

Post Number: 17
Yeah, from what I've discovered, you have to buy the unit from an authorized Denon dealer to get the Denon factory warranty. This must be a new E-Commerce business practice.

I always assumed that no matter where you purchased the unit, you would get a warranty card from the manufacturer inside the box. After all, AuthorizedElectronics says that their boxes come sealed from the manufacturer.

AuthorizedElectronics has sent out the shipment. My option is to refuse delivery, OR accept this delivery, and buy a 3rd party warranty. Philips apparently offers an aftermarket warranty for this Denon unit (totally random, right?)

Username: West40

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 1
You can find a list of the authorized Denon E-tailers at their web site. See it here along with the warning of service... http://www.usa.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1#ETAIL
and it is true. You will not get authorized service if you purchase from a non-authorized E-tailer.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 958
Often these unauthorized dealers will honor the factory warrranty but you have to send the unit back to them and they fix it at a shop of their choice. You need to make sure about this before you buy anything but if you feel the warranty will be covered in some way then it's usually worth the risk to save often hundreds of dollars. I have ordered this way a few times and never had a problem.[yet!]. Just bought the Elite dv47ai dvd player for $570 mail order when my local dealer had to order it and wanted $800. Definately worth the risk I think.

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 4
For some who know audio purchasing items from unauthorized dealers or over the net to save a little cash may be a good idea. However for the remaining, who may be unaware of product operation, setup and use, purchasing from a local dealer in you neighborhood may be a consideration. You local dealer will help to answer questions should you need help and back the products he has with service after the sale. You will also be able to audition products, touch and feel them and get a good sense if the item is right for you. These are VALUES that you will not receive from an E-Tailer! And for goodness sake do not got to the local HiFi store and make the sales person work for you, answer all of your questions and then purchase some place else. Have some consideration for the guy who has helped you make a final decision! He may very well be the guy who saves you butt when you have a problem. The little extra you may pay may be of benefit to you down the road when it comes to an upgrade or an operation or service problem as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 70
Nick, I hear you and agree that in general, local stores can be helpful. However in my experience in NYC, that is not often the case. Even in such a large city, the no. of authorized dealers per brand is limited, so that narrows it down to begin with. Then, each of the few dealers may only sell 1 or 2 of the brands you're considering. So that makes in-store comparison auditioning difficult to impossible. In addition, I have been extremely unimpressed by the knowledge level of the salespeople I have interactetd with. Based on my brief year or so using this board, my beginner's knowledge USUALLY exceeds that of the salesperson. Not to mention the bias (towards the one or two brands that they sell that you're considering) that is often contaminating their "information" and "advice".

I completely agree that buying from an authorized dealer is a must. But sometimes, the best of all worlds is achieved by buying from an authorized dealer over the internet/phone, who is well regarded, has good prices, and knows their stuff. Ie, the kiefs, saturday audio, and yawas of the world. When I bought my NAD from Yawa, I had a lot of questions and got them all answered that way, along w/a good price and authorized warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 226
What I don't get is this: if the e-tailer is not an authorized dealer, where does he get the Denon kit from???

Regards,
Frank.

Pedro2005
Unregistered guest
Since the standard Denon warranty is only 2 years, think about this:

> You saved hundreds of dollars purchasing online. Use that savings and purchase a 2 year extended warranty for $69, and get over it. (I noticed that even the "AUTHORIZED" online retailers only offer a 90 day warranty, pretty cheap.)

> Marantz has a three year warranty. But two years seems more usual from other brands.

> I don't see why Denon has to be so priggish.

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 6
Bigfan, Great post. I know exactly where you are coming from. Many HiFi retailers bring in help that may not be up to par. This holds true for the "big box" stores especially during the holiday season. For one who in knowledge in audio this is frustrating and may also be misleading as well as unfortunate for the buyer who is not audio smart. I guess that because I live in a small town in upstate that integrity and honesty are a part of the pitch not "how much commission can I make on this sale". I have worked in places like that! I deal with people every day regarding audio and video products and although the selection may be limited I believe that an informed buyer is your best customer even though he may not purchase from you. I feel due to the complexity of todays audio that support after the sale is sometimes as important as the sale itself. It really comes down to feeling comfortable with where you are buying. This also includes getting a fair price, receiving correct information and having a support person you feel will give you the answers you need long after the purchase. Bigfan, I have been selling audio for 30 years and I will be the first to tell you that I do not have all of the answers, but will do my best to give you correct information so you may make a good audio purchase decision. My point in the previous post was that internet/ phone sales may not be for everyone and that there still are specialty audio/video shops around that consider the needs of the buyer and not how many boxes they need to move that day. It is unfortunate that in the hustle bustle world we live in that there are not more stores (in your local area) where you can feel comfortable and confident about your purchase and seek advice from a knowledge person you can trust will lead you to the correct decision. This is the philosophy you will find at our location; I guess that it's a little different in a bigger city. I'll just leave you with this letter from one of our customers so you may see what our business is all about.

Dear Nick and Sarah,
I am writing to let you know how much I appreciate the tremendous service I received from you in selecting and installing my new stereo. First of all we nailed down my budget and goals for providing listening experiences in my home.
Then you came out to my home and worked out the details so that we could implement our plan, always allowing for future needs. Your suggestions saved me money, caused me to buy equipment better suited to my home and install it in a more harmonious fashion than I would have thought of for myself. The financing gave us more room to maneuver, and allowed us to put together an integrated package.
Within a week of contacting you, your electrician was on the job and the wires were run out of sight, and the speakers were installed in an unobtrusive way. The subwoofer and the "XM-Radio" were added to complete the package and provide a complete listening experience. And what an experience it is. The XM Radio makes for hassle free listening when you don't want to pick a CD and offers options for all occasions and tastes.
The system far exceeds my expectations and I would recommend you to anyone.

I guess that I am a real lucky guy to be able to do something I really love for a living and to have customers who feel this way about what you do for them. Sorry about rambling on Bigfan but I guess I am as passionate as the next guy when it comes to this stuff!

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 73
Nick - it's great to hear about about someone in the business who is motivated to make his customers happy. My negative experiences in NY have actually been at specialty stores, not big box stores. Maybe you should open a NY branch!

Canandaigua, NY USA

Post Number: 7
Thanks for your response Bigfan, I like it right here, I am just a little town guy. Sorry to here about your bad experience in a specialty store. I would hope that these types of shops would do a much better job regarding customers' needs and answers. We will just keep doing what we are doing up here and hope that there are folks out there that appreciate our philosophy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us