Looking To Purchase A Receiver That Can Handle Both Home Audio & Home Theater Needs

Allen Brown
Unregistered guest
Hi everybody,

I am a newbie and am looking to purchase a receiver that can handle both home audio as well as home theater needs.

I have budgeted $200 to $400. Would like to attach a total of 5-7 rooms to the system.

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Anonymous

keep on dreaming

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 124
One or the other.

You can either have a single speaker in 5-7 rooms, or something like 3 speakers in one, and 1 in 4 other rooms.

Or you can have a home theatre with 5-7 speakers in 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1.

Only way a single receiver could do both is by running 2 sets of cables to the same receiver, and switching out the cables from your home theatre room to other rooms. I would recommend using banana plugs on your speaker cables.

Another option is a 7.1 receiver that has a second room option with the rear two channels. These allow you to have stereo (2 channel) sound in a second room while still having 5.1 in your home theatre room. You could waste the stereo sound and go mono in 2 additional rooms in that set-up.

Your budget may cover a 6.1 receiver but for the 2nd room option the best quality you'll likely find for the best price would likely be the Marantz 6400.

HKFAN
Unregistered guest
Hey, what you could do is add a speaker switch box to the b speakers on your receiver. Just make sure you buy one that has both an A and B speaker selection. Problem is you may not be able to run all the speakers at once, and you will either have to get volume controls for each room or an RF remote to run the system from other rooms or you will have to go in that room to change the source etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us