Upgrading my system;marantz,denon,yamaha????

Username: Butkusrules

Schaumburg, Il

Post Number: 1
Upgrading a generic sony surround sound setup. I am looking first at the recieverupgrade.
Set up now is Panasonic 47" HDTV projection.
Sony DTS 5.1 reciever and 5 speakers/sub.
Panasonic 5 disc DVD
Comcast Cable HDTV box
I noticed a feature that I really want which is the upconversion to component plugs. Which if I understand correctly means that eliminates my need to switch my HDTV panasonic between video 1, 2 etc.
Here are my possible choices from what I've reserached.
A/R receivers with component up conversion

Marantz SR 5500 $499
Yamaha RX-V750 $397
Denon AVR-2105 $429

As far as speakers, HSU research and paradigm speakers seem to be very highly regarded. But I have not put much time into it yet, concentrating on recievers first.

Oh room size is no bigger then 20x10

Any suggestions pro or con for any of these recievers and or speaker/reciever combinations?
Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 928
If you settle on Paradigm's I would go with the Yamaha from your list but if you can swing a bit more money consider the Yamaha 1500. As can be seen on this site it can be had mail order for under $600. The 750 is a pretty good receiver at it's price point and in fact was a best buy in Sound&Vision so it's not bad.

WICK12345
Unregistered guest
ooooo dave you and i are the same! I have a cheapo sony and i'm looking to upgrade to a "real" system.... and the biggest feature i'm drawn to is up conversion! i love the idea!
(don't mean to hijack away from you... just figured we are close to the same on what we want so i'd add on to keep the newbie threads down)

I've been looking mostly at the denons b/c they all have up conversion.

2805 579.99
2105 429.00
1905 329.00
1705 249.98

after reading about the yamaha that seems to blow away the 2105... for less... plus it has the auto setup features the 1905/1705 don't! What's killing me here... speakers! jesus... Paradigm's all i find are teh 3k-4k for the 5.1 set... i'm new and have no idea what speakers are to cost but is there something more in the range of 500-1000? that would suit me? It seems taht i've been fooled by all the HTIB's that i could get quality audio package for 1500 or so :-(

I'll tell you what though.... it does make me relize why you guys on here are all trying to buy more expensive recivers... I mean.. shoot... 3-4 on the speakers i'd spend 1500 on a reciver too!

Also it seems speakers are a better investment of my money... do they stay relativly the same over time unlike TV's and Recivers which keep getting "better" features all the time?

i'm also trying to stay away from "cubes" like bose b/c everyone seems to hate them.....

mrgreat
Unregistered guest
therealelitefan:

if we buy Yamaha receivers off of non-authorized internet dealerships don't we void the manufacture warranty?

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/warranty/warranty_audio.htm

I'm ready to purchase but a little worried about this fact..

WICK12345
Unregistered guest
yea i think you are right mrgreat... risk you take....

mrgreat
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have any good or bad stories about the lower priced internet dealers they purchased their receivers at?

i'm willing to pay a little extra for some piece of mind on a $700+ receiver.. :-)

monkey man jack
Unregistered guest
To Dave, hey man you get what you pay for, any system that is under $900 isnt worth getting, because you'll just wind up upgrading it again a few years down the road. Might as well spend the extra few bucks and buy a reciever that will last. Such as:-Onkyo. You can get a used Onkyo like the Onkyo tx-ds787 for a good price and its THX certified. And it has a whole bunch of connections. Or you could try the newer Onkyo systems. I paid $1,000 for my reciever and that was i think four years ago and it still works fine and doesnt really need to be upgraded.

Check this out, the Onkyo tx-ds787 is 6.1 but you can upgrade it to 7.1, now thats an upgrade.

To WICK12345 for great sounding speakers that are reasonably priced try JBL.

I hope that this info. was of assistance to you both, and good luck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 931
You do have to be careful about ordering from a mail order-online dealer and you have to weight the cost benefit of saving usually a couple hundred dollars. Monday I had the same decision to make on the Pioneer Elite dv-47ai dvd player. My local store doesn't stock it but can get it for $800. I called about six mail order sites and Kief's and found one in stock at a mail order site for 569.99 so for the savings and they honor the two year warranty. It's always a crap shoot but I took the chance and ordered it.
The above poster is a bit off the mark in his comments about price. Their are several very good receivers less than $900 and the Yamaha's are in that catagory. The list price of the 2500 is $1099 but can be had on-line for $685. The Marantz 5400 is a terrific receiver with more multi-channel power than the Onkyo 901 and can be had for $449 so it is not necessary to spend $900. Today you get more for the money than four years ago at the same of cheaper.

Schaumburg, Il

Post Number: 2
Glad to see there are other people in the same boat. After work last night I went to a local dealer to check out Marantz SR5500, he also had Denon 2105 and something I had not considered, a Onkyo Integra 5.5. The integra was very highly recommended by the salesman but his biggest compliment was that it was "easy to use" which doesn't rank high on my home theater criteria. It has the upconversion which is great but I can't seem to find a price online.

Other then that he recommended Marantz, said it was considered by D& M holdings (owners of both Denon, Marantz and McCintosh) to be a higher level product then the denon brand.

As far as speakers, If paradigms cost 3-4k I am not getting paradigm. I am looking at speakers that are less the 1000k for a set.

I looked up the Yamaha 1500 and well I love it but I have to stop the cost climb. This thing started as a 299-350 receiver search, I found features and brands that I liked and pooof here I am considering a 499 Marantz. So then I look at the yamaha 1500 which adds power and THX certification both things I like at only 70 dollars more. AHH I just can't. $500 is the limit.
So anybody seen the Inetegra 5.5 online anywhere or have any thoughts on it? Another thing I found out was the Marantz SR-5500 just came out this October which is a little reassuring. Logic reasons that it should be the latest & greatest.

WICK12345
Unregistered guest
the only thing i see with the marantz SR-5500 that i dont' like is it doesn't seem to have the "auto" set up fetures the 750 or the dneons have :-( and me being a new kid on the blcok i'm afriad i may not be able to tune my system without some help. Think i'm still going to stick with the yamaha just on cost.. and b/c i don't think the THX cert will mean that much... It seems like yamaha is well respected and wouldn't but out a product that totaly sucks.

as for what i've been thinking in the line of speakers...

everyone seems to really like the axiom speakers... though it makes me suspious b/c they are advertised so much on this site hehehe... I was looking at the specs. Dangerous mind you b/c i have not a clue what i'm doing... Why wouldn't I use 4 M3Ti's (M3Ti's b/c M22i's are the same spec minus 1 ohm and 25 watts... which doens't seem to be alot for 140 dollars) instead of the Q4's... it seems on all the specs they are equal or better... and much cheaper. Is it just that the Q series are slanted to make sound direct in more than one direction? Also who uses 400w of power the Q8's say.. and it seems 6 ohms of impedence is better than 8... but i don't understand what that means at all.

for a sub i was thinking the Hsu VTF-3 or 2 seems that they are the bagin sub from what i read 699/499 haven't found a lower price than retial on them yet...

for the center i was thinking of sticking with axiom for looks reasons.. but still the specs dumbfound me as to why not just use another M3ti is it just the watts? and the recivers i'm looking at are all 80-120w per a channel... so i don't understand why it would matter to get a 200w speaker.

so all in all 240 center + 300*2 front/surrounds + 499 sub = 1339 speaker package (plus shipping/taxes)

so what do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 125
First don't buy a receiver just for the auto setup feature, an SPL metre is $15 at Radio Shack and it's really easy to do yourself.

Secondly your jumping into purchases without any practical experience. Features and specs are only one part of a good system, build quality, timbre, and integration are more important.

Audition any equipment against comparative and higher end equipment so you know what to listen for and what you like. Receivers and speakers match differently across all brands, make sure you hear anything you're thinking of buying together to make sure it's what you want.

Unfortunately companies like HSU, Axiom, Accend, aren't represented in retail shops, so you can ship things back and forth until you find something that you want.

Every speaker sounds different, and a large part of it is placement and distance in a sound stage, Axiom make specific centre and surround speakers for a reason. Centre speakers favour a certain frequency response and surround speakers often deliver sound diffusely for maximum effect. Floor standing speakers can deliver a richer sound with a wider frequency range, in the right room. Larger bookshelf speakers can deliver the same effect in smaller rooms.

Don't jump into anything, you're looking at good products, but you need more research.

WICK12345
Unregistered guest
i won't jump into anything.... hell that's why i'm here :D spending 2k is a lot to me so i want to make sure i do the best i can with my bucks.

looked up the meter 39.99 on the radio shack web sight but good info :-) That makes the martanz more attractive for sure though it still seems costy. I was just afraid of me trying and not getting it right. meters and computers are more trustworthy than an untrained ear i'm sure lol....

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 127
And more trustworthy than almost any automatic set-up in a receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 939
Dave,
Where did you get the idea that Paradigm's cost 3-4 k? The Performance and Monitor series is very affordable and you can put together a system for around $1000 that is pretty good and would be a very good match with the Yamaha 750.You can spend 3-4k on Paradigm's but that's not what we-I are talking about.
The comments about the auto setup features are correct. Most are not accurate and anyone who has a decent system should own a SPL anyway.

Schaumburg, Il

Post Number: 3
therealelitefan,

From wick12345" Paradigm's all i find are the 3k-4k for the 5.1 set... "
Is there a site that lists paradigm speakers? Also are there really any true 7.1 speaker systems out there? It seems like 7.1 is an aftertought. Like "oh yeah and you can buy another satelite speaker and make our system 7.1"

So Marantz SR5500 or Onkyo Integra 5.5 any preference? They sounded almost identical.

You seem to be a big fan of the yamaha? any particular reason?

Thanks for all your feedback, these forums are great.

Silver Member
Username: Dmeister

Post Number: 133
You may also want to consider the NAD 743, which is also in your price range. It has two wideband component inputs, which should cover the system you have right now. (No upconversion to component, though.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 943
Dave,
Any Paradigm dealer should have the Performance and Monitor series in stock. I see you are in Shaumburg and I know there are several Paradigm dealers in the Chicago area. Check out Paradigm's website and I think it will have a dealer locator you can use.
I do like a few of the new Yamaha's but only with the right speakers and Paradigm is my first choice with Yamaha. NAD would also be good as they sound good with about every speaker you can name. I see you are also looking at Marantz and Integra. Both are very good but I would not pair either with Paradigm. Monitor Audio, Dynaudio,Polk and others would be good choices for them.
As far as the 7.1 business goes most speaker companies make several speakers you can mix and match and make your own 7.1 speakers system to fit your budget and room. That's one of the great things about Paradigm; they make so many speakers that are so good for the money and you can mix many different models together and still have a very good system.

Username: Murphy

Grand Rapids, MI

I'm with you guys, undecided between Denon 2105, 2805 and Marantz 5500,7400,7500. Leaning to Marantz.

As far as speakers. For about $1k you could get a good sounding B&W setup LM's, VM's, 300's, or mixture of previous in rear w/600's in front. Also take a look at orb audio. Have read good reviews. Paradigm can be had for under $1k. Jamo, Canton too.

Remember, the research is half the fun.

Laura
Unregistered guest
"...the research is half the fun" - I wish this were true for me! It's not unpleasant, just very time-consuming. I got rid of my old components and am anxious to have music again!

I have Thiel CS2.2 speakers, which I'm told are inefficient and require a lot of power ... which seems to mean that I need to spend more than the $500 I budgeted. Yesterday I looked at the Integra 5.5 and am very tempted. It lists at $699 and will cost me $650 plus tax. I can't find prices online, which makes me happy because I'd rather buy it from a local dealer anyway.

The Integra 5.5 has upconversion using time-based correction, 165 W/ch @ 4 ohms, and a separate second zone, but it doesn't have THX or equivalent. The appearance (silver knob/black unit) doesn't thrill me, but overall it seems like a good product for the money -- what do you think? I guess I could look at some Marantz and NAD receivers today, but really want some music soon!

Schaumburg, Il

Post Number: 4
I found something I don't like on the Marantz, it only has 2 component inputs!!! DVD, and tv/cable take those up but hog tie me if I want to add say a digital media receiver or anyhting else needing composites. Comparable denon, Onkyo and Yamaha all have at least three inputs.

The Marantz 7500 has 4, the marantz 4500 has two as well. Why did they cheap out on this, I do have 8 composites but who the hell uses composite anymore anyway.
Kinda disappointed, am I overblowing this. Is the differance between s-video and composites substantial?

Also when would I use the r232 input?

Silver Member

Post Number: 960
Yes, the difference between compsite and s-video is huge, much more than between s-video and component. If you have a smaller direct view tv you and a good digital cable box with a s-video output you will get a very good picture. On my new Toshiba hi-def set [32"] their is no difference between the picture with a dvd between the s-video and component inputs. Not true on a bigger screen but on the 32 it's the same.

Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Hey guys, I am looking to match a reciever with Klipsch speakers. I've read that Yamaha is a little too bright to be paired with Klipsch, and one dealer suggested Rotel, while another said they are prone to breaking (he suggested Marantz). From what I saw of the Marantz posted here and what I saw in the dealer I liked it although it wasn't hooked up to Klipsch. Is a Marantz too bright for Klipsch???? any other suggestions as to recievers I should compare with?

Silver Member

Post Number: 961
IMO the best matches with Klipsch are Marantz, H/K and Elite. There is another post that I commented on and the originator liked Yamaha and Denon better but for me they are too bright and thin for Klipsch. As always only your ears can decide so listen to as many as possible.

Username: Earful

Post Number: 4
Paradigm has very small bookshelfs (Atom) that sound very good and are under $200.00 per pair.
The titan is about $30.00 more. and the Esprit V.3 floorstanding speaker is about $400.00. Those are retail prices, the Esprit I believe is the Titan in a floorstanding version and it sounds very good. Paradigm lists reviews of all their speakers and on ecoustics they also list some. The Atoms sound very good also for cheap money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us