Receiver to go w/ PSB's

Anonymous

Gang:

Gotta basement I just finished. Am thinking of some PSB 4T/5T's as the mains with the PSB 8C/9C as a center. Will worry about sub and sats. later. Probably 50/50% music/HT. Can get the Marantz sr6300 for a good deal. Could throw an amp on the Maratnz later on. May stretch for the NAD T753/752, but is more $.

Is this a decent strategy? Thoughts on matching. Would like to stay in the $1500 range, but can stretch a little. Would sub/sats. should I be thinking of for later? May go to a Denon 1804 and reach for the other speakers sooner.

Thoughts welcome.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 65
Anon,

Do you mean $1500 for the entire system, or $1500 just for the receiver? I have an NAD T762 paired with some PSB 2B's and a 9c center. I have made no secret on this forum about the fact that I think that the combination is absolutely wonderful. I will post my in-depth reviews below. For me, being that I am obviously biased on the subject, I would say hold out for awhile, save some extra money, and get the NAD. To me, NAD and PSB are meant to be together. They are owned by the same company and the unique tonal charachteristics of each compliment each other very well. You can read the reviews below for even more details as to why I feel that way. However, I do think that the Marantz would sound decent as well (although, not as good as the NAD of course). :-) PSB speakers are fairly laid back, as is the Marantz receiver. Together, the sound might be a little too laid back, in my opinion. On the other hand, NAD receivers are a little more forward sounding than Marantz, so sonically, I feel that they go better together.

But in the end, it is really up to YOUR ears. Try to audition both the Marantz and NAD and see what you think sounds better. I would not even consider the Denon if I were you. It is not really even in the same ballpark as the other two, and while I do think PSB is one of the few speaker brands that Denon might sound OK with, in my opinion, it really does not compare with the other two.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/6314.html
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/6394.html

Username: Joemcdhd

Post Number: 2
Johnny:

Thanks. I read the posts. I might have to go on a little faith since there's no close NAD dealer. I did listen to the Marantz sr6300/PSB 4T set up and liked it. I just don't wanna play the upgrade game and figured I'd go with a receiver that's got decent power as I get some speakers with cosmetic blemishes for overall value.

But you're right - I'll just have to go and listen.

Anonymous

So any thoughts on the NAD T753 vs 752?

Username: Kev5

Post Number: 5
I have the Marantz 7300ose and the PSB 5Ts and I am very happy with this combination.

I would take Johnny's advice and audition both the NAD and the Marantz with the PSBs if you can.

I have heard both combinations. They both sound great in my opinion, just different.

Anonymous

Kev5

How does your set up work for HT since I keep hearing Marantz is better for music? Because of the costs, I'm leaning towards Marantz/PSB.

Post Number: 7
My opinion is the Marantz handles both music and movies very well.

I purchased the Marantz because I wanted a receiver for 80% music and 20% HT. However, the Marantz has delivered wonderfully for both.

Also, I enjoy music DVDs and the Marantz has brought it to a whole new level.

Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 44
There are many wise folks who believe that if the receiver can do music well, it will do movies well. Probably the truth is that the folks who like accurate music also like accurate movie sounds instead of booming bass noise.

Anonymous

SO a Marantz doesn't have boomability?

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 158
Anon: boomability? :-)

Anonymous

Yeah, sure, boomability. Whatever you call it. As a revised question, what is dissatisfying about a Marantz for HT? What makes people lean toward Denon/Yamaha instead?

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 69
I don't believe there is anything dissatisfying about a Marantz for HT. Just go and listen.

As far as people leaning towards other brands I would imagine it's just a question of personal taste and hopefully not just down to a few good magazine reviews.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 47
Anon: I was not in any way implying there was anything wrong with the Marantz for HT. I agree with Valeem as it is usually a matter of personal taste. I would also add that some of the brands: Marantz, NAD etc are sold in boutique stores and not in Best Buy etc so the general public do not know of these brands. I did not know of either brand until I ventured into a boutique store. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with Denon/Yamaha.

Anonymous

Gang:

Thanks. I have been listening. Just having trouble getting to hear an NAD (The one dealer in my area says he just dumped NAD - who know maybe they were dumped). I like the sounds of what I read on the spec sheet (power reserves) and the posts here but still am concerned about all the problems I hear. I've literally wanted to pull the trigger for a couple weeks now. So that's where I'm at. I like the Marantz/PSB combo but am waiting to be "WOWed" if I ever get to hear an NAD. So I thought I'd ask about anybody satisfied with the Marantz - which it sounds there is. Then I can report back, eventually, and hopefully help someone else who's in my shoes!

Anonymous

Alright. Just got back from a dealer. Compared the Denon, an Integra, and NAD. Unfortunately, they were played on Totems - which is way beyond the Image series I plan on getting. Now I won't consider a Denon, but am still tempted by the Marantz over the NAD, which is more coin (in the $250-300 range). The real problem is not being able to do a side by side comparison. May roll the dice and go for the NAD/PSB combo just to get it home.

I'm sitting here realizing I would like some help that nobody can provide. But some of the other threads are giving me some confidence.

Post Number: 8
Its too bad you couldn't listen to the NAD with the PSB speakers.

I made my purchase at a shop that sold both NAD and Marantz but I listened to both receivers with KEF speakers. I didn't bring my PSB 5Ts to the shop to audition the receivers which was a mistake.

I decided on the NAD T752 because it was on sale and I was impressed with the reviews and posts that I had read. Also, NAD makes a quality product and is known for its musicality which is important to me.

However, after a week of inhome listening, I returned the NAD and exchanged it for the Marantz 7300ose.

I personally felt the NAD and PSBs were too bright sounding (I don't like using words like bright and warm when describing sound but they seem to be the only words I can find to describe it), though many people on this site are very happy with the combination and I'm sure would disagree with my statement.

I don't think the Marantz/PSB combination is too laid back as some have posted. However, I would consider the NAD more on the neutral side and the Marantz more on the warm side.

The PSB speakers have metal tweeters which may account for the brightness that I experienced.

In my opinion, the Marantz matches the PSBs better. I find the Marantz calms the highs of the PSBs without losing any detail.

It just goes to show that you can read all the advice you want but at the end of the day there is nothing better than listening for yourself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us